Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2015, 03:38 PM   #1

How many jacks are needed?

This NEW Windjammer unit has (13) Jacks under it! If I ever see the owner I will try to sell him on Step Supports also! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4645.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	91144   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4646.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	91145  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Motion sickness....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:59 PM   #3

Great connections at HF?

Old 10-10-2015, 07:59 PM   #4

Wow a great jack salesman got a hold of them...........

Never can have enough jacks ?????

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #5
Left Coast

Sewer hose might have a problem
Old 10-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
Left Coast

Sewer hose needs some help
Old 10-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
Left Coast

Forum e mail can't keep up with phone e mail....double posts.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #8

Not much help in gravel
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:35 PM   #9

The reason he has too many jacks is because it has the electric jacks from the factory that are junk! They do not support nothing. I had to purchase extra jacks for the same reason. If anyone else is purchasing a trailer stay away from the electric jacks.
SMUGMUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #10
Left Coast

They're stabilizers, not jacks.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #11

Well, my Salem Hemiphere brochure says on the inside cover under popular options that they are called electric stabilizer jacks. I guess Forest River is wrond again??!!
SMUGMUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to Eaglelover
Jacks

Bad idea putting them under the slides. That,s a no no for me. Frank
Eaglelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglelover View Post
Bad idea putting them under the slides. That,s a no no for me. Frank
Agreed.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #14

My 2 cents worth:

I finally reconciled the shaking in my mind.....by reconciling I basically mean I ignore it. I lower the electric "stabilizing" jacks and snug them up on the ground then 3 or 4 hours later I hit them for just another second in case of any settling. On our second trip out with our new unit two years ago I kept hitting the switch trying to eliminate the shake and in the middle of the night that night one of them bent. I was fortunate that the dealer replaced it under warranty but it was really user error. That is a good lesson to learn early in the process. They are just not made to support the weight of the trailer.

It just took me awhile to come to grips with the fact that I was not going to eliminate the shake with the electric stabilizing jacks. To eliminate the shake I would need to put the trailer on blocks or use multiple extra jacks. But the jacks do "stabilize" it and minimize the shake. I DO NOT want to deal with 13 crank down jacks. It is not worth the needed effort or return on that effort when we typically do not stay in a spot longer than 3 or 4 days. There is enough to do already when setting up.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klbrown53 View Post
My 2 cents worth:

I finally reconciled the shaking in my mind.....by reconciling I basically mean I ignore it. I lower the electric "stabilizing" jacks and snug them up on the ground then 3 or 4 hours later I hit them for just another second in case of any settling. On our second trip out with our new unit two years ago I kept hitting the switch trying to eliminate the shake and in the middle of the night that night one of them bent. I was fortunate that the dealer replaced it under warranty but it was really user error. That is a good lesson to learn early in the process. They are just not made to support the weight of the trailer.

It just took me awhile to come to grips with the fact that I was not going to eliminate the shake with the electric stabilizing jacks. To eliminate the shake I would need to put the trailer on blocks or use multiple extra jacks. But the jacks do "stabilize" it and minimize the shake. I DO NOT want to deal with 13 crank down jacks. It is not worth the needed effort or return on that effort when we typically do not stay in a spot longer than 3 or 4 days. There is enough to do already when setting up.

Take the stabilizer jacks off and have the legs reinforced and the get rid of the blocks under them and get them as close to vertical as possible, the legs are at their weakest in the near horizontal position. VOE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00460.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	91294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reinforced Stab Jack Leg.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	91295  
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #16

Good idea, Old Coot. I may do that to my stabilizers too. I have to agree with the shake/wiggle issue, my unit does move around quite a bit even with the stabilizers down. I'm spoiled; I used to have a Wanderlodge with HWH hydraulic jacks on it. Those were strong enough (and so was the coach) that you could literally lift that 30,000lb beast off the ground with them.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #17
Alleged curmudgeon

Agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klbrown53 View Post
My 2 cents worth:

x13!
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #18

The 'Stabilizers' are still 'junk'..... I put 4 scissor jacks on my unit and use them for 'stays' of longer than two days.

Jacks under the slides.... not a good idea.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #19

depends where we stay, I'll use some extra stabilizing jacks with the OEM electric stabilizers and the X Choc between the wheels. The further down the factory stabilizers go, the worse they are, I put blocks under each one so they're not extended so much, and then adjust if needed the next day after settling. I stabilize under the bunk room more then anything if needed.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #20

I personally do not use extra jacks under the slides..but not a bad idea to reinforce the ones I have now, like OLDCOOT illustrated above. I do give them a touch the next morning after the first night, but not to rest the weight of the unit on them.

Just found this on another RV Forum:
Slideouts are supported by the bottom of the slide resting on the rig's floor and by the lip around the inside edge of the slide pushing against the rig's wall when the slide is fully extended. In particular, there's a large header beam above the slide cutout that's designed to absorb the slide's tipping forces when the slide is fully extended. The top of the slide presses against the header which keeps it from tipping out.
With the slide fully extended, there's no bending pressure on the slide mechanism itself, it's only purpose is to keep the slide's inside lip pressed firmly against the rig's sidewall.
Putting jacks under the slideout can lift the slide and interfere with transferring the slide's weight to the header beam.
The older tip-out rooms are another matter - they're hinged at their base and can benefit from additional support.
FreddyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks