Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #1

How to drain the fresh water tank?

Greetings,

We are very new to owning a trailer and we are trying to figure out how to drain the fresh water tank. We have a 2013 Windjammer 2609W.

We have reviewed the owners which mentions it's good practice to drain the tanks, but it doesn't actually tell you how to drain the fresh water tank. We reviewed the materials from our dealer as well, but it fails to mention it as well. There is a small port by the black & grey water valves, but it doesn't seem to drain the water eventhough we know the fresh water tank is almost 2/3 full.

Any suggestions?

Obviously, we'll contact our local dealer, but thought we would inquire here as well.

Thanks!
dwapperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #2

Look under your rig at the fresh water tanks you should see a hard plastic hose or dump valve on the tank it self
Old 05-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
rip

I have the 2013 Windjammer 2809W, next size up from your model.

My drain is labeled on the side so it was easy to find under the trailer (in the back on the side opposite the doors). Here's what my fresh water drain looks like (pic attached) under there. Let me hear back if yours is similar.
Attached Images

+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #4

Thanks, my valve is located in the same position, but water will not come out. The trailer is level and I know the tank is 2/3 full. I did read about blowing compressed air into the system from the fill line, but it seems like it should drain without doing that.
dwapperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #5

is it a 1/4 turn valve or a 360° turn valve? some valves are different. you may need to vent the tank with your cold/hot valves at the sink. just a thought.
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:21 AM   #6

Remove the cap on the fresh water fill and then turn the valve 90 degrees (should work in either direction). If you use compressed air do not use pressure more than 30lbs. The first time I drained mine it seemed like it was not coming out. After you open the valve go inside and walk around to shake the TT a little. Could just be an air lock.

Congrats on the Jammer!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwapperson View Post
Thanks, my valve is located in the same position, but water will not come out. The trailer is level and I know the tank is 2/3 full. I did read about blowing compressed air into the system from the fill line, but it seems like it should drain without doing that.
Mine empties water freely by simply opening my drain valve without opening faucets or the fresh-water gravity fill cap (which has a screened vent next to it).

Since you're sure fresh tank is nearly full and not draining, on mine I'd suspect perhaps a clog at the valve outlet caused by insects/mud or perhaps within the tank at its low point.

Personally, I would not apply air pressure to my tank at all, the most I'd try on mine might be a very low pressure back-flow of water using my fresh water hose at the open valve. More than likely, I'd be at my dealer for warranty service.

The air pressure you may be reading about are others' discussioins about applying very low-pressure at your city-water connection with a special fitting to clear your water lines (not fresh tank) for a particular winterizing technique. Typically, your water lines are cleared by opening the two colored low-point drain lines located elsewhere. There are whole different sets of instructions for that.

Don't confuse your fresh water tank and your city water connection.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #8

My 3025W windjammer has a petcock under the fresh water fill also and it also drains freely. My question to anyone on here while on the subject of fresh water tanks. What do you sanitize your tank with or do you?
Rigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #9

Rigman, I use bleach to sanitize. You can either add it straight to the tank or pour it into your potable water hose and then hook it up and turn water on. I think it's a quarter cup for each 15 gallons of water that your tank holds. I let mine sit for a day or so after running it through all the taps and getting the smell of bleach in the water. Drain & fill tank to rinse, making sure to run water through the taps also.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
Rigman, I use bleach to sanitize. You can either add it straight to the tank or pour it into your potable water hose and then hook it up and turn water on. I think it's a quarter cup for each 15 gallons of water that your tank holds. I let mine sit for a day or so after running it through all the taps and getting the smell of bleach in the water. Drain & fill tank to rinse, making sure to run water through the taps also.
X2
Old 05-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwapperson View Post
The trailer is level and I know the tank is 2/3 full.
Tell us some more about "I know the tank is 2/3 full."

Is your fresh water pump working ok? While not connected by hose to city water inlet, have you tried turning the pump on and pumping a good bit of water to shower/sinks from the fresh water tank to get it's 2/3 level down lower?

Have you filled and drained your waste tanks on your new trailer?

Which all leads to... Since it's a new trailer, have you checked that the status panel is reading the levels of each of your three tanks properly?

You have!!! OK, back to something messing up your fresh water drain valve...
Old 09-10-2020, 12:01 AM   #12

Hello! I simply drain my fresh water tank by turning in the water to my outdoor shower and let it drain out!
MonetMOMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:48 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonetMOMA View Post
Hello! I simply drain my fresh water tank by turning in the water to my outdoor shower and let it drain out!
You've resurrected a thread, that has been dead for 7 years, for a Rockwood Windjammer, which is quite different from your Rpod.
the OP hasn't been active for 6 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote