Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #1

How to fix a couple things

I have a 2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra Light Model 8327SS
I have a couple questions:
1) when my awning is fully extended the little flap that is suppose to hang down does not-it rests on the top of the awning. I am thinking that the awning was put on upside down as the wires are also exposed to the elements as well? What is the best way to tell?
2) my outside sink knobs (hot and cold) are continuing to drip water when not in use? Would I use glue or tape to stop the dripping? I have tightened the connection as tight as it will go.
3) my locks to my outside kitchen and front storage area appear to have been glued closed. I can't get the keys in. What can I use to dissolve the locks without damaging the internal mechanisms?
I apologize for so many questions! Thank you for any assistance!
capecodlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #2

#1. You have just overextended your awning. Just retract it until the flap hangs as it should. If you leave it overextended you block the water from draining as this position creates a valley created by the awning roller that the water can’t get over. Look at it next time you extend until it stops and you will see there is not an unobstructed path for the water.

Extend the awning all the way then retract until flap hangs..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #3

#3. Go to the hardware store and buy some graphite. It comes in a small tube. Spray it into the lock mechanism. Be careful, a little goes a long way and it can be messy. It is a dry powder. Apply some to the key also. Work the key in and out and lock and unlock. Should lube things up fine.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:20 PM   #4

#2: Can you be more specific? Is the water leaking out of the valve stem that the knob is attached to or is the water dripping out of the spigot (i.e., the valves are "leaking by")

If it's leaking past the valve stems, you can often remove the knobs and there will be a nut that you can tighten until it stops leaking. Note that tightening the nut will make the knob harder to turn.

If it's leaking by through the valve, you would need to replace the internals as the O-ring seals aren't sealing. This involves unscrewing the nut under the knob and pulling out the "guts" of the valve and replacing it.

If you're unit is still under warranty and you aren't good with plumbing, take it back to the dealer.

The plastic faucets they give us are crap. So the best solution would be to replace the entire thing with a decent one from Home Depot or Lowes. Moen, Delta, American Standard, whatever you like. They come in standard sizes. Just make sure you get the SAME size.

Many folks here replace all the faucets as soon as they buy a new trailer.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #5

When I open my awning after a heavy rain the flap will tend to "stick" to the awning top. I grab one of the supports and pull down until I can grab the flap and release.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #6

If you have the plastic faucets, you can usually take them apart easily and just replace the O rings. I put a little plumber's silicone on them and they have worked fine - even though they are cheap. You should be able to get the O rings in a hardware store for a few cents each.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #7

For your locks, Lowe's has a thing called "Fluid Film" which is a penetrant and lubricant that is lanolin based. I bought a can a few weeks ago for my tractor and have used it on my door locks as well. Was amazed at how well it works. Best part it is not-toxic and non-hazardous. I'll be using it in a lot of places on the TT this summer.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #8

WD-40 works wonders for door locks.
Yowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #9

On the awning we put ours out not quite all the way so the flap is sticking out. After a bit the flap relaxes and hangs down. Then we extend it all the way out. Not sure about the other post never had an issue putting it out all the way. If they weren't designed to go all the way out the manufacturer would have made them different.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
On the awning we put ours out not quite all the way so the flap is sticking out. After a bit the flap relaxes and hangs down. Then we extend it all the way out. Not sure about the other post never had an issue putting it out all the way. If they weren't designed to go all the way out the manufacturer would have made them different.
Your awning may be fine fully extended but I would suggest you look at it closely the next time you fully extend it. I have included a crude drawing looking at the awning from the side. The top drawing is a fully overextended awning and the bottom is with the awning reeled back in to allow an unobstructed waterfall for rain water.

On all of the RV’s I’ve owned (3), if I extended the awning until the awning motor stopped the awning motor tube creates a dam that will not allow water to waterfall off the awning. If it rains hard and you don’t slope your awning to drain toward one end then the water can pool in the middle and destroy your awning.

Look at yours next time. If it looks like the bottom sketch then you are good to go, if not you are inviting disaster..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81FD8A68-8252-441A-9C27-485D7A8CCE95.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	171544  

Old 05-12-2018, 12:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
#1. You have just overextended your awning. Just retract it until the flap hangs as it should. If you leave it overextended you block the water from draining as this position creates a valley created by the awning roller that the water can’t get over. Look at it next time you extend until it stops and you will see there is not an unobstructed path for the water.

I've had the same issue. What Dalford says is the easiest and simplest solution to your awning problem.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:25 AM   #12

Quote:

I have had the same issue with my awning.What dalford says is the quickest and easiest solution to your problem with your awning. (IMHO)
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
#2: Can you be more specific? Is the water leaking out of the valve stem that the knob is attached to or is the water dripping out of the spigot (i.e., the valves are "leaking by")

If it's leaking past the valve stems, you can often remove the knobs and there will be a nut that you can tighten until it stops leaking. Note that tightening the nut will make the knob harder to turn.

If it's leaking by through the valve, you would need to replace the internals as the O-ring seals aren't sealing. This involves unscrewing the nut under the knob and pulling out the "guts" of the valve and replacing it.

If you're unit is still under warranty and you aren't good with plumbing, take it back to the dealer.

The plastic faucets they give us are crap. So the best solution would be to replace the entire thing with a decent one from Home Depot or Lowes. Moen, Delta, American Standard, whatever you like. They come in standard sizes. Just make sure you get the SAME size.

Many folks here replace all the faucets as soon as they buy a new trailer.
Good answers.
6.7 TD Super Crew
"Go Navy"
logspec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Your awning may be fine fully extended but I would suggest you look at it closely the next time you fully extend it. I have included a crude drawing looking at the awning from the side. The top drawing is a fully overextended awning and the bottom is with the awning reeled back in to allow an unobstructed waterfall for rain water.

On all of the RV’s I’ve owned (3), if I extended the awning until the awning motor stopped the awning motor tube creates a dam that will not allow water to waterfall off the awning. If it rains hard and you don’t slope your awning to drain toward one end then the water can pool in the middle and destroy your awning.

Look at yours next time. If it looks like the bottom sketch then you are good to go, if not you are inviting disaster..
Dalford thank you for all your great suggestions.! I have pictures of the awning I know they aren’t the greatest.
We had a wind storm the other night and it must have shaken something as my daughter reported the flap was now in position where it hadn’t previously? Thank you again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	164EA72E-EBEF-4F50-AA3A-FA171C6FA794.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	656.5 KB
ID:	171591   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCA899DA-4290-4430-8507-30A4A3C8A46C.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	171592  
Old 05-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #15

Thank you all for the suggestions! I’m going to work on them this weekend! I appreciate it!
Old 05-12-2018, 07:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodlady View Post
Dalford thank you for all your great suggestions.! I have pictures of the awning I know they aren’t the greatest.
We had a wind storm the other night and it must have shaken something as my daughter reported the flap was now in position where it hadn’t previously? Thank you again!
Yes...the awning is upside down in your pictures. But, so is your camper.

Bruce
Old 05-12-2018, 07:46 AM   #17

Like others I use WD-40 on the locks and other sticking items. It does not last forever but I keep a can in the camper.

Graphite may be better but it can create a big mess.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Yes...the awning is upside down in your pictures. But, so is your camper.

Bruce
Bruce I know darn pictures once I flip the camper over it will be better ha ha ha ha...I can’t even find the emojis. Lol
Old 05-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #19

If you have the same cheap faucet as on my outdoor sink on my PUP, don't be afraid. It comes apart easily. Remove it entirely and disassemble it. If it's crudded up, you can use CLR to clean it. Mine keeps getting clogged with tiny particles of plastic - perhaps shavings from PEX assembly. I've taken it apart several times. Removing it is just a matter of unscrewing PEX fittings. If the faucet is trashed, buy a better one and replace it.

My "bag awning" rolls up in such a way that the decorative end flap is always standing up like a bad cow-lick. Your awning issue could be as simple as the flap "taking a set" from not being rolled up correctly. Assuming your awning is not upside down, get some office binder clips and modest weights and hang the weights on the flap to hold it down. Once exposed to the sun, the kinks should relax.

As for drainage from the awning, you should always "tilt" the awning to one side or the other so that the water drains off easily. If both sides of the awning frame are "level," the awning will belly under the weight of water. A big awning can hold a LOT of water, and the weight of that water can ruin the awning.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yowman View Post
WD-40 works wonders for door locks.
a can of spray "chain Lube" works better. WD40 displaces the water but does not leave a residual of lubricant. Chain lube does the same but also leaves a residual of graphite in the lock. Lasts MUCH longer!