Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #1

I just don't get Forest River

After weeks of chasing electrical problems in my 2011 Rockwood 2902ss (bad crimps, missing wire nuts, stuff not hooked up) I decided to look under at the junction box. The box is not weather proof and they used the wrong size wire nuts (too small) and the wire nuts were starting to corrode around the wires. So I got weatherproof wire nuts, trimmed and stripped the wires for a clean connection. All better now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bad wire job.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	3207   Click image for larger version

Name:	good wire.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	3208  
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #2

More Forest River mysteries

After driving in heavy rain I kept finding water on the bathroom floor. I looked around everywhere and could not find where the water was coming from. Then I happened to look at the exterior shower door, they installed it sideways so when driving in the rain the water blows in on the hinge side and finds it way inside through the hole where the plumbing feeds from the inside. What the hell were they thinking? there is plenty of room to install the exterior shower the CORRECT WAY!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04525.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	3209   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04526.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	3210  
Old 08-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #3

Even more poor planning from Forest River

Why would they think that putting a light fixture that is NOT water and dirt proof would be adequate on the front of the trailer. This light switch is corroded after 4 months and no longer operates. Good thinking Forest River. I am sure glad Forest River does not make planes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04524.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	3211   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04523.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	3212  
Old 08-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Are you speakers wired correctly so you have stereo & not mono sound?

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #5

The concertone was NOT hooked up
Old 08-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #6

Welcome to the world of RV manufacturing. Innovation is non-existant. Pride in craftsmanship is non-existant. So many manufacturers exist (although fewer now) that one company trying to build it right could not price their product competitively. I promise Forest River is not the only one building their units in the manner in which your's is. I am self-employed, among other ventures, I sell utility, cargo and industrial trailers. In 1995 I decided to sell fifth wheel and TT toy hauler RVs. It was a new thing at the time. I could not believe the stuff I had to fix as a dealer on brand new units. We sold for two major players in the RV industry with both having the same unacceptable build quality. After 3 years I decided to stop selling RVs for this very reason. Sadly, buyers of new RVs should have carpentry, electrical, plumbing and mechanical skills to make ownership less painful..! With eyes wide open, I purchased a new 2008 G'town 350TS one year ago this month. Have been straightening out issues on it for a year now! I don't mind a bit, because I knew I would have to, problems are guaranteed..! When a friend or family member starts talking about an RV purchase, do them a favor and tell them how it is. They can purchase and have many years of enjoyment with their RV, but, go in with eyes open and expecting issues. ALL brands are included...!
Old 08-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #7

Maybe its time for a class action lawsuit
Old 08-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #8

add Thor to the mox
our damon had tons of stuff left over......
spent a few weeks fixing them all

our cedar creek was the same way and we had it custom built. but still arrived full of junk and wires not crimped or connected,

its a pity we just have to accept it.......
Old 08-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd-ford-hd View Post
Sadly, buyers of new RVs should have carpentry, electrical, plumbing and mechanical skills to make ownership less painful..! With eyes wide open, I purchased a new 2008 G'town 350TS one year ago this month. Have been straightening out issues on it for a year now! I don't mind a bit, because I knew I would have to, problems are guaranteed..! When a friend or family member starts talking about an RV purchase, do them a favor and tell them how it is. They can purchase and have many years of enjoyment with their RV, but, go in with eyes open and expecting issues. ALL brands are included...!
Very Well said.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #10

My 8yr old son said "Camping is an adventure!" and boy was he right!
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #11

It took the Japanese to kick the American Auto manufacturers into improving the quality of their products. Maybe they need to start developing and sending higher quality rigs over here. As much as I try to buy American, sometimes an industry needs a kick in the pants from outside. The RV industry is a prime example of one that needs a good swift kick in the back side regarding their indifference to quality.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #12

Wow, I joined this forum to get to know more about the RV that I just rented and, WAS planning to buy it, but thanks to all this post, I decided to just get my family on this vacation and never talk about Buying a Rv!
Thanks guys!
raphalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #13

RV's can be a lot of fun, but just like any other recreational vehicle they will be some maintenance and repairs. I had a 2001 Forest River Shamrock that I sold this past spring and replaced with a 2011 Rockwood 2902. I had a few issues with the Shamrock the first year or so but after that it was a great little camper. Forest River campers are a middle of the line camper with great floor plans at a low price. Just remember, you are towing a small house down the road so things get rattled and shaken so expect to fix a thing now and then.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #14

Camping in a trailer is all about overcoming adversity. Forest River or not, they all have their same crappy problems.

Someday I hope to own a high end trailer just to prove my theory of them all being crappy wrong.
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphalsky View Post
Wow, I joined this forum to get to know more about the RV that I just rented and, WAS planning to buy it, but thanks to all this post, I decided to just get my family on this vacation and never talk about Buying a Rv!
Thanks guys!

Please don't let this one thread change your mind about purchasing an RV. By renting one to start, you are doing the right thing. This way you may be able to determine if you like to camp. If you don't, then your are done and won't worry about it any longer.

However, if you do find you like it, I suggest NOT buying a rental unit. Who knows how it has been maintained. Your best bet, if you decide to buy is to do your homework, and it should be a lot of it since this is a major purchase. Visit sites like this, and other owners forums if you want to get feedback on other manufacturers. Go to RV shows (usually in the winter) and look at a lot of different models and brands in one place. Talk to people that own RV's. Perhaps you can visit a campground sometime and talk to people camping about their units and how happy (or unhappy) they are with them.

Again, read the posts here and on other sites. You will find that, while quality is usually not "job 1" like Ford sometimes advertises, neither are the rigs so bad that they fall apart upon delivery. If they did, none of us would have ever gotten into it in the first place.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #16

I picked up a new 2011 Shamrock 19 expandable or hybrid in May.

Honestly, I have been pretty impressed with the quality in general - I expected more issues. I have been able to fix and adjust most everything to date. My Concertone's FM does not work - so it will have to be repaired or replaced. I have modded the unit quite a bit - so I did open many panels up and had a chance to view 1st hand the build quality - it's very good. And I have over 5000 mi to date.

Pulling a little house at highway speed and over bumps has to affect everything.

My Shamrock is as well built as I can expect today. That is a fact.

An RV owner needs to have some talents and enjoy these quick fixes - I do, and take any issue with a grain of salt and look at it as a little bump on the road. One needs to be a bit of a handyman.

The Japanese car makers - waking up the former Big-3 - eventually had a positive impact, but it took more than 30 years for them to react. Now we have better cars all around.

I remember when Michelin challenged the garbage made by the likes of Goodyear and Firestone in the 70's. They also took years. Now we have better tires all around.

RV makers in the US are still in the dark ages, but I don't see them being challenged any time soon - maybe the "caravan makers' in Europe, but then they're small - too small for North American buyers with big pickups & cheap gas.

In the meanwhile, there are some better manufacturers than others, and I count FR and it's Roo-Shamrock plant as a good one. Let's buy from the better ones and let's use the internet to let the word out on the Good and the Bad ones - it will have an impact.

Good work FR - but don't let get to your head - you still ways to improve.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #17
Arn
Arn

I have had quite a few "new trailer" problems with mine. Not one of them is attributable to Forest River. Dometic fridge door, Thetford toilet water module, water pump switch & a few other things. Overall I'm happy with Forest River, it's the individual pieces that make up the whole that I think need improving. I carry a tool box that is complete enough to get me out of trouble if need be. My dealer has also been excellent so far so there is another feather in the Forest River cap.
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #18

Most of my problems have been assembly issues (quality control). I do have an extensive tool kit and sets of spares (fuses, switches wire, crimps,thermostats, misc plumbing and 1 set of dump valves) I have been doing this a while and I can repair just about anything on the road. Its nice to have an engineering back ground, my other trades are carpentry and cabinet making, electrical and plumbing. My wife calls it my big "Tonka"
Old 08-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #19

Knock on wood, we've had our Georgetown since last October and have had very few problems or issues.

There was a minor problem with the 12v outlets - but I finally found the fuse - and also determined that two of my chargers were bad - thinking it was the outlets. Turns out the bad chargers blew the fuse.

Minor hydrolic leak with the main slide - one of the seals went bad and FR paid for the repair.

FR paid to replace both cockpit seats - made by Flexsteel - the "pleather" started to crack inside of a year.

The Howard Miller clock that came with the unit quit on us - FR paid for a replacement.

The other problems have been the fault of the selling dealer or things we've done or not done. Luckily for me and my DH, I am very mechanically inclined and have a garage full of tools. We also use a different dealer for service and have been very happy with them.

Never having owned an RV prior to this one we did a lot of research on RVs and we did go into this purchase with eyes wide open. Everything we found pointed us to the FR product and for the money we had to spend, FR has one of the highest quality products out there - more bang for your buck.

We were initially looking at a Forester but chose a Georgetown because of the room and drivability. We are glad we chose the class A and have been extremely happy with the Georgetown.

Based on some of the comments in this thread I think we've been lucky with our rig.
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #20

I too have been through the Forest River quailty mess. In June I purchased a 2011 8281SS. There were so many problems that Forest River picked it up and took it back to Indiana for re-work. There were some of the most mind numbing, jaw dropping quailty issues that I have ever seen. I dont mean the "new camper stuff" either. I expect the "new camper stuff" and it does not really bother me to fix it. Initially, I started with my dealer but they only made things worse. I then contacted the Forest River warranty department. They were acutually pretty good with me and I thought I was treated like a customer should be. They made the corrections and returned the camper back to me. I have only been in it once so I dont know what else awaits me. I completely feel your pain. My wife and I have both had sleepless nights over this camper that was suppoesed to be one of our greatest joys. I hope things get better for you! One word of advice. Document EVERYTHING. I put all of the problems into a objective report with pictues as well as documents from the dealer. Forest River really had no choice but to fix it when the facts were starting them in the face.
4Rasnicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood