Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2021, 05:05 PM   #1

If I didn’t have bad luck, I’d have no luck

Rockwood 8289WS. I’ve had problems with this rig since we got it just over a year ago.

The furnace didn’t work for the first 10 months, finally got that sorted out.

Then several water leaks which I finally sorted.

Driving from Texas to South Dakota, the under belly cover ripped off from the front third of the rig. Turns out it wasn’t secured from the factory. Talk about crappy manufacturing! Got that fixed, which was difficult and expensive.

The stairs had a screw missing and we didn’t notice for a while. This caused the metal bracket to rip. I’ve been using jacks to stabilize them, but then they completely broke during this trip. So I removed them, and now have to use a step ladder until I can replace them.

I also noticed this morning that one of the cables for the bedroom slide has come off. I’m going to try to find it and see if I can reattach it.

Oh yeah. Forgot that my fridge is warm while the freezer is cold. We’re level, so not sure what the deal with that is.

Ugh!! Time for a new rig I think.
guzziknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #2

Gheesh! Sorry for your bad luck. Sounds like you need a 6 pack of wobble pops [emoji6]
Old 04-14-2021, 10:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRockz View Post
Gheesh! Sorry for your bad luck. Sounds like you need a 6 pack of wobble pops [emoji6]

Thanks. It’s been a rough trip!
Old 04-19-2021, 02:44 PM   #4

Sorry for all the problems...was the rig new or used when you bought it?
Crookedhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:52 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookedhalo View Post
Sorry for all the problems...was the rig new or used when you bought it?
It appears that they bought a 2015 used rig, last year.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:53 PM   #6
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzziknight View Post
Rockwood 8289WS. I’ve had problems with this rig since we got it just over a year ago.

The furnace didn’t work for the first 10 months, finally got that sorted out.

Then several water leaks which I finally sorted.

Driving from Texas to South Dakota, the under belly cover ripped off from the front third of the rig. Turns out it wasn’t secured from the factory. Talk about crappy manufacturing! Got that fixed, which was difficult and expensive.

The stairs had a screw missing and we didn’t notice for a while. This caused the metal bracket to rip. I’ve been using jacks to stabilize them, but then they completely broke during this trip. So I removed them, and now have to use a step ladder until I can replace them.

I also noticed this morning that one of the cables for the bedroom slide has come off. I’m going to try to find it and see if I can reattach it.

Oh yeah. Forgot that my fridge is warm while the freezer is cold. We’re level, so not sure what the deal with that is.

Ugh!! Time for a new rig I think.
I'd like to think that over time we eventually work through all the problems that we encounter. With the way these TTs are slapped together I would not look forward to starting over again.

My .02

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
It appears that they bought a 2015 used rig, last year.

Correct. We bought it at the end of 2019.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
I'd like to think that over time we eventually work through all the problems that we encounter. With the way these TTs are slapped together I would not look forward to starting over again.

My .02

True. And that’s the biggest thing holding me back right now. We might trade in one lemon for another.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzziknight View Post
True. And that’s the biggest thing holding me back right now. We might trade in one lemon for another.
Just don't give up your trade-in until it's replacement has been delivered to Dealer and inspected using "white gloves" and "a fine toothed comb".

When I bought my TT the inspection took 4 hours, trailer was hooked to electricity and water, and had propane. ALL systems were checked for operation. This didn't occur until the Dealer had already run their own PDI checklist.

Since I drove it home I really only found one issue (other than the customary 2# of sawdust distributed in all the concealed spaces) and it was the hose for outside BBQ. Had been pulled out too far and kinked. Possible either I or my Son did this on our first outing.

Factories may overlook things but the Dealer should be handling them. Only the Customer can force them to do so.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:42 PM   #10

Sorry to hear the problems you are having with your 8289WS. We have the same unit except it's a 2017 that we bought new in 2018. This is our third fifth wheel and have to say probably our best so far. The worse thing we have had wrong so far was the fresh water fill hose was loose where it connects to the fill port. Only way I could get to it was by removing the screws and caulking on the outside of the rig then tighten the clamp.
Hope you're able to get the issues fixed so you can enjoy your rig.
Both retired and loving life
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Just don't give up your trade-in until it's replacement has been delivered to Dealer and inspected using "white gloves" and "a fine toothed comb".

When I bought my TT the inspection took 4 hours, trailer was hooked to electricity and water, and had propane. ALL systems were checked for operation. This didn't occur until the Dealer had already run their own PDI checklist.

Since I drove it home I really only found one issue (other than the customary 2# of sawdust distributed in all the concealed spaces) and it was the hose for outside BBQ. Had been pulled out too far and kinked. Possible either I or my Son did this on our first outing.

Factories may overlook things but the Dealer should be handling them. Only the Customer can force them to do so.

We did go over it very well when we bought it. It’s just now well built in my opinion and that’s why we’re having these problems.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:18 AM   #12

Sounds like you’re well on your way to turning that lemon to lemonade.

WRT your refrigerator, if freezer is cold but frig is warm it may need to be defrosted. If an ice dam blocks cold air from the freezer or blocks a “flapper valve” then the frig won’t cool.