Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #21
jkoenig24

Find and attend an RV Boot Camp. GREAT information for folks new to the RV lifestyle. Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. The Escapees RV Club run an excellent Boot Camp, usually from Friday afternoon ~ Sunday noon before one of their big rallies. After Boot Camp, you WILL be a smarter and safer RVer! (RV Boot Camps are offered by other groups too).
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Very true. We made a sticky this year for one of these exact things:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

This was an exceptional year for the hot water bypass valve! That was exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote my post!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:12 PM   #23

You (I) don't have to be a newbee for memorable moments. I had years of camping and towing a boat trailer. We stayed over a few days on a 4th holiday. We (I) drove the MH to boat launch and put the boat in. Huge parking lot and one other TV/boat trailer parked a safe distance in the lot. With great vigor, I backed into it. That takes pure talent. Even DW and the kids thought so.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #24

Bone Head setup

A "neighbor" watched me over half hour try to open my manual awning. I finally released the clips that hold the thing shut. That TT and awning didn't last long - got one with a push button. If you hold the button to open long enough the awning WILL wind up backward and close. My next awning WILL be totally automatic - push the button it goes out, push again it comes in, if it's too windy or starts to rain it comes in unlike its owner.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #25

....OP you take way to much responsibility! Always blame the wife / husband when things go wrong!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #26

I will easily win any contest of "stupid things done while boating or camping" and will come in at least second to any contest of "after having things explained 4 times, still have blank stare".

No room to type it all here. Come visit. It will take 5 cold ones. They're on me. You'll laugh. Trust me, everyone does!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. J. Schuler View Post
...got one with a push button. If you hold the button to open long enough the awning WILL wind up backward and close. My next awning WILL be totally automatic - push the button it goes out, push again it comes in, if it's too windy or starts to rain it comes in unlike its owner.
Your push button awning must of had a broken torsion spring in the other end, otherwise it should just stall out.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:36 PM   #28

Sounds like it's just starting since you're new. Just you wait, things will get a lot.........better.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #29
Cadiz Couple

Marty---you and me---I'm also a brand new dumbass RV owner... just bought a 2014 Rockwood 8310 and am flailing around discovering on my own where components are hidden and how they work and bothering all of these nice Senior Members with stupid "what" and "how" questions. Just about the time I think that I about have most of it all figured out, new dumb questions arise. My current questions are how am I supposed to keep the refrigerator door open so mold won't grow, since the sliding room covers it? There are two small blue clips with the refrigerator but I can't figure out how they are to be used. Also, I'm not clear on exactly what point in the winterizing and de-winterizing procedure that I am supposed to remove/re-install the water filter...so as not to contaminate something with antifreeze, or whatever. That internal water filter scares me...I can just imagine what a flood it might create, if it somehow becomes loose or broken. I like someone's idea of bypassing the lines to it and relocating it externally, but then I have no idea how to run lines from both the water storage tank AND the city water connection into an externally-mounted filter....nor exactly how to bypass the three or so lines into its current internal location. I'm also a bit worried about hitting the road for the first time with this 35'monster, so that I don't end up where I can't turn it around...I'm guessing that I had better pre-plan on stopping only at large Pilot type truck stops and forgetting all about trying to park in little Cracker Barrel lots. I have written up 13 typed pages to describe...as best I know how...the various systems and do's and don't's. I'll be happy to e-mail them to you or a Senior Member or anyone else who might, themselves, learn from or correct/amplify to help me learn from---what has been written. PM me. Gordy...81-year old retired Navy pilot.
Cadiz Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadiz Couple View Post
My current questions are how am I supposed to keep the refrigerator door open so mold won't grow, since the sliding room covers it? There are two small blue clips with the refrigerator but I can't figure out how they are to be used.
Page 21 and 22 (depending on model) of the following link show how to use the "airing position cards".

http://www2.dometic.com/35569465-a18...beb18c67.fodoc

A member here also posted a great article with pics on using these, but I can't find it right now. Maybe someone else will link to it.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #31

Cadiz Couple, I have the same problem with the water filter. They possitioned it so you can not remove it with out spilling a good amount of the water in it. I have been advised to use the external filter that will screw right into the city water source available at any RV supply.
Sofie and Phoebe (fur Babies)
historybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Marty---you and me---I'm also a brand new dumbass RV owner... just bought a 2014 Rockwood 8310 and am flailing around discovering on my own where components are hidden and how they work and bothering all of these nice Senior Members with stupid "what" and "how" questions. Just about the time I think that I about have most of it all figured out, new dumb questions arise. My current questions are how am I supposed to keep the refrigerator door open so mold won't grow, since the sliding room covers it? There are two small blue clips with the refrigerator but I can't figure out how they are to be used. Also, I'm not clear on exactly what point in the winterizing and de-winterizing procedure that I am supposed to remove/re-install the water filter...so as not to contaminate something with antifreeze, or whatever. That internal water filter scares me...I can just imagine what a flood it might create, if it somehow becomes loose or broken. I like someone's idea of bypassing the lines to it and relocating it externally, but then I have no idea how to run lines from both the water storage tank AND the city water connection into an externally-mounted filter....nor exactly how to bypass the three or so lines into its current internal location. I'm also a bit worried about hitting the road for the first time with this 35'monster, so that I don't end up where I can't turn it around...I'm guessing that I had better pre-plan on stopping only at large Pilot type truck stops and forgetting all about trying to park in little Cracker Barrel lots. I have written up 13 typed pages to describe...as best I know how...the various systems and do's and don't's. I'll be happy to e-mail them to you or a Senior Member or anyone else who might, themselves, learn from or correct/amplify to help me learn from---what has been written. PM me. Gordy...81-year old retired Navy pilot.
Can anyone join this or is this sobbing on the shoulder one-on-one?
Refrig.: The clips attach to the door. not too difficult once you keep trying it like fitting a puzzle piece. A dry towel draped over the top of the door will do the same thing as long as the door is slightly open.

Water filter: When winterizing, get rid of the old filter. Be sure to dry the threads on the canister and canister housing. When de-winterizing, put in a new filter. If you are concerned about breaking the filter, remove it or bypass it. Get a filter at the water source outside. The external filter solves your filling problems.

Thanks for your service as a Navy pilot!! Piloting a big rig is like flying an airplane. You assess the situation and plan you maneuvers. If you want to go to the Cracker Barrel, find a lot in proximity where you can maneuver. Just remember, with 35', you need to make wide turns and signal your moves well in advance.

Feel free to ask questions. We folks will give you plenty of ground support.
Welcome to the camping experience!
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
Find and attend an RV Boot Camp. GREAT information for folks new to the RV lifestyle. Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. The Escapees RV Club run an excellent Boot Camp, usually from Friday afternoon ~ Sunday noon before one of their big rallies. After Boot Camp, you WILL be a smarter and safer RVer! (RV Boot Camps are offered by other groups too).
jkoenig,

That sounds like a good idea but not something that is around here.

Marty
Martsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #34

Quote:

Cadiz,

Thanks for the note. I am sure that we will work through it. We have our first real trip next weekend (Hatteras KOA). I am sure I will have more questions and some answers then!!

Marty
Martsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #35

Everyone has to start somewhere. Heck I forget to do things every time I go out. SWMBO always points this out to me!
2020 is a BUST!
ejknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:17 PM   #36

I agree with checklists. We have a checklist for almost every aspect of camping. We even have a packing list for clothing, bedding, and food.

We've gone camping and forgot to bring pillows. We've camped without blankets. We have almost always forgotten key food staples that required a trip out of the back country to hit a grocery store. We've forgotten to retract the rear stablizers when elevating the front of our fifth wheel. I could go on about things we've forgotten but that is now an issue of the past.

One thing I have learned is that rushing only leads to problems such as leaving roof vents open, leaving TV antenna extended, failing to lock storage doors, etc..etc...

Have fun learning. Take your mistakes in stride and shrug them off as learning experiences.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #37
jkoenig24

Marty, check out Mark Polk's RV Education 101 - videos, DVDs, books, tips and information for RVers. Mark has a series of DVDs that cover most (if not all) of what you'd be taught in RV Boot Camp. I was able to borrow many of Mark's titles through my library system. I purchased other titles I wanted, that the library didn't have (approximately $10~$25 per topic). DVDs can be paused / replayed as often as needed. You don't get the experience of interacting with 200+ other newbies but, until you can get to an RV Boot Camp (which will be WELL worth the effort), the DVDs do provide valuable information.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #38

x2 on Mark Polk's RV education. I bought several of the DVD's last year (there was a buy 6 for $60 special - not sure if they still have it) and it was invaluable to a newbie like me. I was able to rewind and watch over (and over and over) any part that I didn't understand. Sure took a lot of the anxiety out of doing many of the things for the first time. And I can go back for a refresher course anytime I want. Cincia

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #39
Playtime III

Amen on the checklists. I have 7 on my RVChecklist phone App. Pre departure/pack, Storage lot departure, CG arrival, CG departure, storage lot arrival, winterizing, and one I modify each time (Repair/replenish) so I can keep track of what broke and what supplies I need to restock before the next outing. For example, on Sunday I noted to replace the split wooden jack pad and tv remote batteries.
800 wd/dual cam sc
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote