Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2015, 04:50 PM   #1

Installing hard wired PI 30 amp with remote display

Ok I've seen the light! I'm buying this surge guard, but am curious about the installation. We have a Rockwood Signature ultralight 8329 SS. Where do I install the box and where is the remote display placed? My buddy and son-in-law have experience in these endeavors and I make a good gopher! Or should I just bite the bullet and have the dealer do it? Thanks for any advice. Jim
Jim McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
I no electrician, far from it, the hardest part for me was bending the 6ga. wire (50A service) to go inside the box. IIRC took the wire off the back of the ele. panel, put that in the "IN" side in the box. Ran a separate piece of 6ga wire from the box "OUT" to the back of the ele. panel. I put my box behind a panel in our basement. Ran the remote wire up through the wall and mounted it next to the thermostat.

It's not hard...Dealer not needed.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:38 AM   #3

Are the Progressives basically the best? I am going to put one in my new 2015 Roo 23IKSS after I get it this weekend lately anytime I plug into a campsite their 30amp connections spark a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-10-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Are the Progressives basically the best? I am going to put one in my new 2015 Roo 23IKSS after I get it this weekend lately anytime I plug into a campsite their 30amp connections spark a bit

There are other solutions, but the Progressive makes a good product and most are very happy with them. Also, you should always trip the breaker at the power pedestal before you plug in and unplug from it. Keeps the plug from sparking and saves the outlet and your plug!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
There are other solutions, but the Progressive makes a good product and most are very happy with them. Also, you should always trip the breaker at the power pedestal before you plug in and unplug from it. Keeps the plug from sparking and saves the outlet and your plug!
So your saying to trip it when I get there, plug in and then turn it on? Wouldn't that create a surge? or am I understanding you incorrectly, just want to make sure I understand
Old 04-10-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
So your saying to trip it when I get there, plug in and then turn it on? Wouldn't that create a surge? or am I understanding you incorrectly, just want to make sure I understand
You're understanding correctly- always turn the breaker off before plugging your shore power cord in (both ends). There is no surge that I'm aware of, though.

I wish I could say that I always remember to turn the breaker on when I'm done... more times than I like to admit, my wife will ask if I've plugged in yet. I have, just haven't turned the electric back on.

ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:57 PM   #7

Lol...I did that with the water last year swore I turned it on, so GF checked and I screwed up

Old 04-14-2015, 08:45 PM   #8

I did a multiple upgrade. I installed the hard wired PI 30 amp surge protector with remote monitor and got rid of the connected power cord that was stored in an inaccessible enclosed area. The cord was always tangled and tough to store and remove. I put in a Marinco power cord and outside plug. The new cord is easy to coil and store. I installed the PI 30 amp connection, secured it to the outside wall, in the area that originally stored the connected cord. Totally concealed and ran the "phone" wire for the remote monitor to just above the tank monitor panel. Very happy and a really clean installation.
johng4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #9
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
If you have the PI unit, there is no need to trip the breaker as the PI delays power to the RV by up to 2 minutes depending on how you set it up.

I also have a PI hardwired unit and love it but If you want the best of the best as far as protection, get a Franks Autoformer.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #10

Quote:

I think so. There is a comparison guide somewhere that you can google.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCampers View Post
If you have the PI unit, there is no need to trip the breaker as the PI delays power to the RV by up to 2 minutes depending on how you set it up.

I also have a PI hardwired unit and love it but If you want the best of the best as far as protection, get a Franks Autoformer.
+1 on the delay. As far as the Frank's Autoformer, I wouldn't say that it is better protection as the PI unit will cut power before a low voltage scenario can do any damage. The Frank's unit will boost the voltage. Difference is that you don't get the power turned off with the Frank's unit, but it doesn't offer any better protection, IMO. My understanding is that the Autoformer actually takes power from other people on the circuit; maybe you can confirm???
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #12
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
+1 on the delay. As far as the Frank's Autoformer, I wouldn't say that it is better protection as the PI unit will cut power before a low voltage scenario can do any damage. The Frank's unit will boost the voltage. Difference is that you don't get the power turned off with the Frank's unit, but it doesn't offer any better protection, IMO. My understanding is that the Autoformer actually takes power from other people on the circuit; maybe you can confirm???
OK maybe I worded that wrong, but I would say it is as good and offers the other set of features as well.

Yes it does rob power but it is not as doom and gloom as it sounds, you would need a number of these devices on the same power leg to make much difference.

As to the PI cutting power, I have had ours cut power several times at different CG's due to lots of units with their air on in very high temps. Yes it protected us but I had to put it in bypass as the power stayed low for a few hours. I did not turn the A/C back on as that is all that really cares about AC voltage in a trailer.

The Franks unit also has a low and high voltage shut down but the low voltage threshold is lower than the PI due to it's ability to hold the voltage to a higher level. It also has fault protection.

The one fault I have noted is that it is not designed to be installed in a hardwire mode like the PI, as I understand that has to do with UL and CSA more than anything. So it would be a PIA to me as I love to make things as simple as possible hence the hardwired PI unit in my trailer.

Herk is the most knowledgeable on the Franks unit as he has had one for a long time.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote