Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2015, 03:32 PM   #1

Installing Slide Topper

Hi,
I have a 2015 Windjammer 3008W. It looks like it's prepped for slide toppers - it has the bracket or rail (not sure of the proper term) that runs the whole length above the slideout. I wonder what Camping World would charge to install it or is that something I could do myself? I have 2 slides one in the bedroom & a large one in the living room. They both have the bracket/rail. I wouldn't think Camping World would charge that much being the bracket is already there. Thanks
CLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #2

You might want to post a picture, what you are describing may just be a gutter above the slide.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Think what you are seeing is just a rain gutter.
I think the recent Camping world flyer I got listed installation special of $134.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:46 PM   #4

We just purchased a new trailer and had slide toppers installed. The dealer charged 1.5 hr labor each. Their shop rate is $120 an hour so it was $180 labor for each topper. I can tell you that it did not take them 3 hours to install them but since I have neck and back issues, there was no way I was gonna do it. I'm all for doing things myself if I can but if I am unsure, well pay someone.

A wise old guy once told me, if you don't expect other people to come do your job, then why do want to try and do theirs. The older I get, the more I understand just how wise that is!
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:12 PM   #5

Thanks I will try and post a picture tomorrow.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #6

What keeps trash from getting between topper and the slide? Seams to me that small twigs and other stuff could get in there and damage the seals. Still learning about this Great World of RVing.
MKClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:45 PM   #7

This is precisely what the toppers help prevent. Sticks and twigs are going to fall straight down. They will just slide off the topper. It is possible for leaves or light weight stuff to blow in between if there is a lot of wind. Under those conditions, the wind will usually blow them right on through. They also keep the rain water from pooling on top of the flat slide roof and then coming into the unit when the slide is retracted.

There are many people who still prefer not to put toppers on. To each his own.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLewis View Post
Hi,
I have a 2015 Windjammer 3008W. It looks like it's prepped for slide toppers - it has the bracket or rail (not sure of the proper term) that runs the whole length above the slideout. I wonder what Camping World would charge to install it or is that something I could do myself? I have 2 slides one in the bedroom & a large one in the living room. They both have the bracket/rail. I wouldn't think Camping World would charge that much being the bracket is already there. Thanks
We have a 2014 Windjammer 308W, and there is no "prep" or pre-installed brackets for the slide toppers, unless the complete topper is installed. I'm sure what you are seeing is the rain gutter. The bracket for the slide topper, after it is installed, sticks out about 2 inches and looks somewhat like an old-time shade roller.

And BTW, I highly recommend putting them on to keep twigs, leaves, etc. off the top of the slides when they are extended.

Enjoy your Windjammer. It is a great layout...we certainly love ours.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:51 PM   #9

We are also hoping that the slide toppers help reduce the sound when it rains. The bedroom slide the bed slides out and it is loud when it rains.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLewis View Post
Hi,
If your bracket has a slit running the length of it (seen from the ground) then it is probably the mounting for the slide topper bead edging and anything else that would attach with a bead. It might also be the edge of a gutter which is top side. Wouldn't be without them.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:02 PM   #11

I will check it tomorrow morning. Thanks
Old 02-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #12

Slide Topper

Hi,

I have attached 2 pictures of what I think is the bracket for slide toppers. It does have a slot that runs the whole length. I hope the pictures get uploaded this is my first time sending them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windjammer bracket 1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	69264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windjammer bracket.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	69265  
Old 02-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKClark View Post
What keeps trash from getting between topper and the slide? Seams to me that small twigs and other stuff could get in there and damage the seals. Still learning about this Great World of RVing.
Nothing....that's why one of my final steps in my "Bug-Out" checklist is to go up on the roof to sweep it and the slideouts before I close them. (I also had my dealer install a slide topper because it's so big and I noticed a lot of stuff collecting up there whenever we were bugging out.)

Even with the topper I'll still go up there before bugging out but the majority of the job shouldn't be sweeping the leaves, sticks, and pinecones from the top of the slideout.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #14

Yep, that's it and those drip spouts are for a gutter but appears your gutter is above so drip spout on topper mount useless. If your gutter also has the slot it could also be used for the toppers.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide