Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2021, 09:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
I hate everything about this filter! Hard to get to, hard to get the cannister off, hard to find a reasonably priced replacement filter, and so on. Big gimmick if you ask me. I haven't by-passed it yet 'cause I'm old and it's hard for me to get in there to do it, so I just don't use a filter and use the blue kind outside. I don't winterize with anti-freeze, so that part isn't a problem. Never had a leak problem, though.
You are lucky not to need to winterized. The Filter location is a PITA for sure. I just got my trailer, so let the Fun Begin !
erm626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
It is generally recommended to NOT put antifreeze in the fresh tank.

Why?... because not every tank drains from the very bottom of the tank and invariably there is antifreeze left in the tank that takes lots and lots of flushing to get it out.

If it works for you great and hopefully your tank drain is on the bottom. Not everyone's is so unless you add the disclaimer I just mentioned, to your advice of putting antifreeze in the fresh tank, it's bad advice.

I have never tried this before and only mention this as a suggestion and to have feed back. It was suggested, by the person who did the walk through of my New Trailer. I agree it will might cause more problems than using the proven system. That's why this Forum is so great, to hash out ideas !
Old 02-21-2021, 11:36 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm626 View Post
No different than flushing your water lines and other fixtures. Not to mention a good time to fill the fresh water tank and add bleach to disinfect.
Way different. When flushing water lines there is a continuous flow THROUGH the water lines from one end to the other.

When you try to flush a water tank if you merely run water in and pump water out, the tank is a huge mixing area that allows the antifreeze to remain until eventually it's diluted enough you don't see pink but can often still taste the antifreeze.

Only way to flush the tank would be to first fil and drain a few times but even them, most tanks have a couple gallons of retained water so unless you park your RV across a steep drive/side hill, so it completely drains, it's best to NOT put antifreeze in the tank. Especially if there is an Antifreeze Port built into the trailer. Even then, a hand pump connected to the city water inlet is easy to use and you don't have to mess with the water tank except for sanitizing but you aren't adding a couple gallons of Clorox for that process.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:30 PM   #24
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
You are lucky not to need to winterized. The Filter location is a PITA for sure. I just got my trailer, so let the Fun Begin !
He doesn't winterize with ANTIFREEZE. I don't either. I'm a compressed air guy. Only put antifreeze in drains.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:24 PM   #25

I cannot seem to find my water filter inside the trailer. Do anyone know where its hidden in the 20bhs?
Old 02-22-2021, 02:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
I cannot seem to find my water filter inside the trailer. Do anyone know where its hidden in the 20bhs?
Depending on what trailer you have...All filter might be in a different location. I would try looking behind a door near the floor with a faults panel. I would guess it is near to where you city water intake is ? Are you positive your trailer came with one ?
Old 02-22-2021, 03:02 PM   #27

Quote:
if you take out the drawer that is under the front bed, it should be mounted to the left, near the water heater. It's a clear plastic canister.

It's a bear to get off and you need to be careful you don't break the canister. They are known to leak, but putting some silicon grease on the o-ring seems to really help.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE0OUA View Post
if you take out the drawer that is under the front bed, it should be mounted to the left, near the water heater. It's a clear plastic canister.

It's a bear to get off and you need to be careful you don't break the canister. They are known to leak, but putting some silicon grease on the o-ring seems to really help.
Did you take yours off? or replace it with something better?
Old 02-22-2021, 03:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Did you take yours off? or replace it with something better?
I haven't decided if I'll bypass the housing or not. We use an outside filter and don't drink the water from the fresh tank or city water, so it's not super important to us to use the inside filter. If the housing starts leaking or becomes an issue, I'll probably remove it altogether.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE0OUA View Post
I haven't decided if I'll bypass the housing or not. We use an outside filter and don't drink the water from the fresh tank or city water, so it's not super important to us to use the inside filter. If the housing starts leaking or becomes an issue, I'll probably remove it altogether.
i will do the same.. just leave it there until it leak then just take it out.. I have also brought a water filter. I don't plan to drink any water from the city water. I'm going to bring my drinking water..

thank you

We both got the same geo pro 20bhs
Old 02-22-2021, 09:38 PM   #31
Canadian Member

A lot of people say they won’t drink the water so they aren’t concerned about the filter. I suggest that if you’ll use the water for anything besides flushing the toilet it needs to be a good quality potable water. You don’t want to wash your hands or shower with questionable quality water. Do some research and see what level of filtering you want and use a filter that you’ll be comfortable with. I use a 0.5 micron filter. Those blue torpedo style Camco filters are either 100 microns or 20 microns.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:50 PM   #32
Trailer Park Supervisor

The blue torpedo is 20 micron, never had a problem with a water run through it. And I (gasp) DRINK THE WATER! It seems that many that go RVing on this forum hook up to nasty water though, so I see how they have trepidation. 0.5 micron??? How do you even have water pressure for shower? As bad as the water is for all these people, how does that not clog up real quick?
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:52 PM   #33

Has anyone found a filter that will fit the inside the coach filter casing ? It might be the KW1 style, If you are not worry about the chlorination in the water, a charcoal type filter is not necessary. Just a plain standard house filter.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:14 PM   #34
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
The blue torpedo is 20 micron, never had a problem with a water run through it. And I (gasp) DRINK THE WATER! It seems that many that go RVing on this forum hook up to nasty water though, so I see how they have trepidation. 0.5 micron??? How do you even have water pressure for shower? As bad as the water is for all these people, how does that not clog up real quick?
Actually, my 0.5 micron filter flows decently - its claimed to flow 3-4 gpm. It’s a Pentair CFB-PB10 filter. It has only ever clogged up once and that was some nasty water at a provincial park of all places.

Old 02-23-2021, 06:02 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Actually, my 0.5 micron filter flows decently - its claimed to flow 3-4 gpm. It’s a Pentair CFB-PB10 filter. It has only ever clogged up once and that was some nasty water at a provincial park of all places.
Where were you able to find that filter ? Did you need to do any modifications to make the filter fit the housing ? It says on the original filter that came with our New Trailer, FRE-10 housing only. Does that narrow the choices ?
Old 02-23-2021, 08:00 AM   #36
Canadian Member

Quote:
Where were you able to find that filter ? Did you need to do any modifications to make the filter fit the housing ? It says on the original filter that came with our New Trailer, FRE-10 housing only. Does that narrow the choices ?
I bought the filter and a new canister from RV Water Filter Store.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/f...-carbon-filter

You may be able to find the filter and a similar whole house canister more locally and cheaper. Pentair is well known brand.

The plastic stand that I use on the ground is a Camco product.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40775-U.../dp/B016V2EANI

Old 02-23-2021, 08:25 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I bought the filter and a new canister from RV Water Filter Store.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/f...-carbon-filter

You may be able to find the filter and a similar whole house canister more locally and cheaper. Pentair is well known brand.

The plastic stand that I use on the ground is a Camco product.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40775-U.../dp/B016V2EANI
The filter that is a replacement is the FRE-10-GN which is impossible to locate. Thank You Forest River for installing a product you can't find !
Old 03-04-2021, 08:14 PM   #38

The OEM filter in my 233s was junk. Needed to find a slightly different cartridge than standard (hard to find and $$$), and even using tools it was on so tight I couldn't budge it to unscrew it. Cut the PEX and removed it completely. Replaced where it was with a short piece of PEX. Some owners have reported that the OEM filters broke or came apart while traveling. I wanted no part of that. Where I live we have real winter and real freezing. I always blow out the lines with air and then fill the lines with RV antifreeze. Previous owner didn't. A plastic elbow froze and broke off in a place behind panels. Made a big mess when I turned the pump on. I LEARNED. Use antifreeze if you live where it gets cold. It's not a problem to flush it out in the spring. BTW, the fresh tank in my camper has its drain in the center on the very bottom. So I put antifreeze in the tank and then pump it everywhere (except the water heater, which is bypassed and drained.) Just my two cents...
V8s4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:45 PM   #39

I replaced mine with a GE filter with a built in bypass. The cost of the unit was a little less than the proprietary filter the Forest River uses and I have a wide variety of filters to choose from.

Bob

HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8s4ever View Post
Where I live we have real winter and real freezing. I always blow out the lines with air and then fill the lines with RV antifreeze. Previous owner didn't. A plastic elbow froze and broke off in a place behind panels. Made a big mess when I turned the pump on. I LEARNED. Use antifreeze if you live where it gets cold.
I do the same to winterize as well and never had a problem.

In the spring I blow the antifreeze out of the lines and pressurize the waterlines with air before adding water and going through the sterilization process. If you have a problem an air leak is easy to detect and makes less of a mess.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter