Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2021, 04:12 PM   #1

Is the Anode Rod Necessary

I realize this has been brought up before. On my last TT it did not have a anode rode and i used the water heater without issue for 10 years. The amount of camping with the TT was less than a week or two during the Summer. Only once did i have the Rotten egg smell, so after a good cleaning it was fine. I might add the water heater was never dump between trips.

What i would like to do is, when the trailer 2104s is not in use.
I want to install a valve for a easy dump of the water heater, between usage. I would not be able to install a anode rod with this idea. Any thoughts on this ?
erm626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:17 PM   #2

Who is the manufacturer of your water heater?

The requirement for an anode depends on the material the tank in made from.

I have seen anode rods with drain valves built into them, but can't say if they would fit your water heater.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:22 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm626 View Post
I realize this has been brought up before. On my last TT it did not have a anode rode and i used the water heater without issue for 10 years. The amount of camping with the TT was less than a week or two during the Summer. Only once did i have the Rotten egg smell, so after a good cleaning it was fine. I might add the water heater was never dump between trips.

What i would like to do is, when the trailer 2104s is not in use.
I want to install a valve for a easy dump of the water heater, between usage. I would not be able to install a anode rod with this idea. Any thoughts on this ?

An anode rod (or lack of one) is dependent on the type/brand of water heater.

If you have a Suburban brand with it's porcelain lined steel tank, then it uses the anode to keep the tank from rusting out. The following from Suburbans website:

Heated water attacks all metals - and that's why Suburban uses porcelain-lined, steel tanks with an anode rod to "absorb" the electrolytic action - just like your water heater at home. To understand the purpose and function of the Anode Rod, please
CLICK HERE and take a moment to watch this short video.

If you have a Dometic/Atwood brand with it's aluminum tank, then it does not incorporate an anode rod. You probably had this brand on your last TT. The following from Dometic/Atwoods website:

The Dometic WH-6 Series delivers abundant and convenient hot water to ensure a comfortable, mobile lifestyle. The 10,000 BTU electronic ignition burner provides exceptional heat to keep water hot and provide an essential home comfort while you're on the road. The lightweight aluminum tank does not require an anode rod, minimizing maintenance and extending the product life.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:35 PM   #4

Thanks for the explanation.Now i know why my Domentic did not come with a anode rod. Not certain but I think I was told the water heater in the 2104s is a suburban heater. So I will leave the anode alone and just pull it when I drain. Thanks for your response.
erm626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:47 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm626 View Post
Thanks for the explanation.Now i know why my Domentic did not come with a anode rod. Not certain but I think I was told the water heater in the 2104s is a suburban heater. So I will leave the anode alone and just pull it when I drain. Thanks for your response.
They do make an anode rod that fits the Suburban water heaters that has a petcock on the end for easier draining.

I can't recommend it though as the anode portion is smaller and many who use them then falsely believe they never need to remove them after that. Not the case. The small drain hole doesn't allow for complete removal/flushing of debris/scale. Removal of the anode to check it and flush/drain the water heater should be part of everyone's annual maintenance.

Knowing that, it might be OK for in between trips of draining the water heater, if that is something you feel the need to do.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:43 PM   #6

Aluminum is a very reactive metal, so as a material for a hot water tank, what protects the aluminum tank from damage, other than the aluminum oxides that rapidly form on unprotected aluminum? Is it just that or is it anodized, thus non-reactive or is it coated in some other inert material? Since steel hot water tanks are porcelain (basically glass) coated, then it seems counterintuitive that a sacrificial anode would be needed, but apparently it is.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:42 PM   #7

We have a mini lite 2104s and it has a Suburban water heater. You are supposed to change anode rod annually. When I change ours there normally a lot pieces of old rod and stuff similar to what’s in the bottom of your home water heater and needs to be flushed so as not to plug up all your faucets.
Malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anode