Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #21
llr

The new design is laminated glass just like windshields on cars and won't shatter. The old design was tempered safety glass and would shatter. I had about a 6" rock hit and old class C windshield and the glass cracked but the rock didn't come through.

the risk to the TT windshield should not be any greater then the TV windshield except if the TV kicks something up.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
Old 01-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #22
Explore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
I read that yesterday and knew that double-step would be confusing: rocks are coming out of our tires after traveling on dirt roads and flung up in front of the trailer ... rocks aren't coming out of our tires, so big mudflaps won't help. I think this got worked out, which is good, if not a bit exasperating for both parties. Kudos.

Rocks coming out from the backs of your tires aren't perfect spheres. They are all kinds of odd shapes and sizes that will actually travel in various arcs. You also have lots of metal surfaces at various angles -- hitches, bars, trailer frames, chains, etc. Rocks will hit those things and maintain quite a bit of their momentum as they also change paths. So, I don't think it's as simple as drawing a line and concluding that the lack of a straight line of sight means a lack of potential for rock damage.

Similarly, for oncoming rocks, it's not really fair to compare to our front vehicle windshields. There isn't any obstruction there. An oncoming rock can travel in a fairly nicely defined path and strike our windshield. The same isn't true (or as true) for the trailer. Rocks that would otherwise be on a path to hit our trailer will often hit our truck/TV first. It takes a very specialized path to fit the small window between where the TV obstruction ends and the open air begins that has a path to the trailer's windshield.

These are probably the reasons for no factory window protection. High enough to be out of the path of rear tires and the TV protects from oncoming rocks. Done and done ... ship it. Of course, we know that neither are fail-safe. Rocks can and will get through both of those tortuous paths and find that windshield.

I'm wondering if there's a 3M product that adds a transparent film over the top. Protects from impacts, but doesn't hinder light transmission too much. Perhaps even an automotive window tinting company could have some opinions. I have zero experience here, so cannot comment beyond this speculation.

Good luck.
Last November we had a window tint shop authorized dealer install LLumar Paint Protective Film (6 mil, clear) on our 2019 Mini Lite 2511S. This film is used mostly for protecting automotive paints but can be used for other applications like a trailer front windshield. It is supposed to be one of the best paint protective films on the market (time will tell). LLumar backs the film against cracking, bubbling or color changes and it has a 10 year warranty.

Is our windshield protected? Would depend on the object that hits it. I’m most concerned about protection against small rock chips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LLumar Paint Protection Film Install 1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	194733   Click image for larger version

Name:	LLumar Paint Protection Film Install 2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	194734   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 2511S.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	194735  
Old 01-16-2019, 01:08 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The OP 24V is right! I had a stone hit the side of my Rockwood hitting the awning turning a corner from my front right wheel so it is possible. There is grey area with Science and Engineering.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
Old 01-16-2019, 01:21 PM   #24
Site Team

The site team needs to take a look at this thread. Going to close while we do. Be back shortly.

Thread cleaned up of some unnecessary posts. Reopening.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #25
24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post

I'm wondering if there's a 3M product that adds a transparent film over the top. Protects from impacts, but doesn't hinder light transmission too much.

Good luck.
This is exactly what I did. I used 3m Scotchgard Pro Paint Protection film. Just like the other poster above, except I did it myself in my backyard. The material was about $100 for enough to do the window.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:38 PM   #26

I have previously had the front window on a slide in camper broken by rocks from oncoming traffic on winter roads. After that I taped cardboard over it when driving in those conditions. Perhaps there is something more suitable than my cardboard method that can be used on trailers with a front window.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #27

And I thought trailers with front windows had awnings over them. Silly me.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24v View Post
This is exactly what I did. I used 3m Scotchgard Pro Paint Protection film. Just like the other poster above, except I did it myself in my backyard. The material was about $100 for enough to do the window.

24v: How much did the film affect the transparency? I have a 2707WS.

Thanks,

Charlie
2009 Ram 2500 5.7/3:73
Old 01-17-2019, 07:48 AM   #29
24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac7203 View Post
24v: How much did the film affect the transparency? I have a 2707WS.

Thanks,

Charlie
It really doesn't. If you are close to the window inside, looking out, you'd never notice. If you sit back a ways you can see the slightest bit of orange peel, but nothing bad. I tried to take a pic to show any kind of distortion, and was unable to show it in an image.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post

the risk to the TT windshield should not be any greater then the TV windshield except if the TV kicks something up.

Seems like the near vertical angle of the window on the Mini Lites would make them more prone to chips/spider webs vs a TV windshield, where a greater angle increases the chance for a glancing blow.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
Old 01-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony5oh View Post
Seems like the near vertical angle of the window on the Mini Lites would make them more prone to chips/spider webs vs a TV windshield, where a greater angle increases the chance for a glancing blow.
Maybe been lucky so far. I had questioned the front window on the 2511s. Our previous 2109s had an extra lid to protect that window. I believe the 2511 has automotive windshield glass, but as any windshield, I'm a bit uneasy about it's exposure. Still think it's less susceptible than the tv windshield.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #32

I almost bought a 2509S, but the windshield actually pushed me to something else. I like more CCC cushion than the Rockwoods typically, have, too. But here were my concerns with the windshield: 1. How much is it to replace that window? 2. I SERIOUSLY doubt any 3rd party would have that- you'd have to go to FR. And 3. What happens in 5 years when FR is no longer using that windshield or they change the dimensions? Can I even find one if I need it? I doubt it.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I almost bought a 2509S, but the windshield actually pushed me to something else. I like more CCC cushion than the Rockwoods typically, have, too. But here were my concerns with the windshield: 1. How much is it to replace that window? 2. I SERIOUSLY doubt any 3rd party would have that- you'd have to go to FR. And 3. What happens in 5 years when FR is no longer using that windshield or they change the dimensions? Can I even find one if I need it? I doubt it.
All good concerns, thought about the same myself. I liked the extra cover on previous models, mostly for bug splats not so much thought on chips or breakage. Not too worried anymore, but stuff can happen. I'll inspect now and then and have any, if any chips repaired as automotive glass. Not impossible, but a unique circumstance for it to shatter. ( roll the dice )
Old 01-21-2019, 10:08 PM   #34

Rockwood window

I personally think that it is a dumb idea to have that window in front anyway. Because the only time that you can look out of it is when the bed is down when we try to sleep.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:59 PM   #35

That was a huge negative for us having that window on the Rockwood.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevej View Post
I personally think that it is a dumb idea to have that window in front anyway. Because the only time that you can look out of it is when the bed is down when we try to sleep.

Agree, not a good engineering design. Not if but when you will lose that window.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:56 AM   #37
24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevej View Post
I don't agree. While it is a slight liability having it there, it really opens up the trailer from the inside. As for your bed being down, I am assuming you have a murphy bed? That isn't the case in our trailer so we can see out the window all the time.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #38

@24V The same thing happen to my 2018 Rockwood. 1st trip out a rock hit the front window and cracked it. Had a 3 inch crack and it grew to about 6 inches just taking to shop to get fixed. I do want to say the new glass looks thicker than the old one but it might be me. I was wondering if there was something out there that might help a little and you guys answered that question. Going to look into that asap
Thanks for the thread!
Old 01-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #39

I was at the Charlotte RV show over the weekend and noticed that the SportTrek Touring Editions by Venture RV have a huge glass front window as well...Not sure though if it's two pieces of glass or just one with a trim piece on the inside...If that makes sense ? They seem to be nice trailers but I'd worry about that big glass window getting damaged I'm glad my 2016 has the front window with the cover
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	89
Size:	514.6 KB
ID:	195149  
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Old 01-24-2019, 06:54 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24v View Post
Since you clearly know what's going on, and can't seem to drop it... here is an image of my truck and trailer. The two aren't connected, but close enough. Please explain to me how a rock could come out from under my bumper and hit the window that is probably 5.5' off the ground at its low point. The red line represents the highest a rock could hit on my trailer if it came out from under my bumper. The window is still a few feet higher.
The rock comes from under the rear tire at high speddy then ricochets of a part of you hitch or trailer tongue and heads for the window.

When I bought my new trailer the fall one thing I steered away from was buying a trailer with a front window. I had to replace a window on my old one and it's very costly.
Closed Thread

Tags
window