Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2020, 06:19 PM   #1

Leaky max air fan

Hi All,
I have a new 2020 Minilite 2506s with a maxxair fan vent and cover. So far two rain storms both with the fan cover closed and the big air max cover in place it leaked water through the screws. Any ideas, it looks like the self leveling sealant is not adhered completely to the plastic piece that holds down the hood and clips.
Thanks
Pete
vestup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:56 PM   #2

I have a Class C that developed some leaks due to being OLD. I used Dicor self leveling sealant on the roof and got rid of all of my leaks. You have to clean the area that you applying the Dicor really well to get a good leak repair.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

X2

Dicor does it.
Prepare the surfaces nice and clean before applying.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
I have a Class C that developed some leaks due to being OLD. I used Dicor self leveling sealant on the roof and got rid of all of my leaks. You have to clean the area that you applying the Dicor really well to get a good leak repair.
I’ll order some tonight, shame only two weeks old and I didn’t even get to camping yet:-(

Thank you
Old 07-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #5

Don't worry, you will find that little problems pop up. Learn to do your own repairs like this one and you will enjoy your TT for years to come. There is great satisfaction in doing your own work and it will save you many frustrating trips to the dealers where many of the techs were changing oil at WalMart last week.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
Don't worry, you will find that little problems pop up. Learn to do your own repairs like this one and you will enjoy your TT for years to come. There is great satisfaction in doing your own work and it will save you many frustrating trips to the dealers where many of the techs were changing oil at WalMart last week.
Totally agree with this statement. Don't let issues get you down. I made my first "fix" within 4 hours of parking our new TT in our driveway.....didnt like the sealant applied at the water heater flange (inside below the drain/anode rod)....looked too thin and split. No worries.
TheMcBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:51 PM   #7

We had the same problem with our 2018 micro lite. Took it back to the dealer who said there had been a service bulletin, that the sealant had not been properly applied near the screws that holds the fan cover on. Dealer fixed the problem and have it not had any problems since.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vestup View Post
Hi All,
I have a new 2020 Minilite 2506s with a maxxair fan vent and cover. So far two rain storms both with the fan cover closed and the big air max cover in place it leaked water through the screws. Any ideas, it looks like the self leveling sealant is not adhered completely to the plastic piece that holds down the hood and clips.
Thanks
Pete
I also have a 2020 2506s and mine leaked too. I determined that the water during a heavy downpour was entering through small holes in the hollow plastic bracket where the 4 pins go through to hold the cover on. I plugged those 4 small holes (not the ones the pins go through but in between the ears that hold the pins) with Silicon caulk and fixed the problem! No need to redo the heavy sealer already applied by the factory. It’s a bit hard to describe but if you go on the roof, pull the corner pins out and remove the cover and look straight down at each attachment point you will see these “holes” in between each point.
Idboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idboyle View Post
I also have a 2020 2506s and mine leaked too. I determined that the water during a heavy downpour was entering through small holes in the hollow plastic bracket where the 4 pins go through to hold the cover on. I plugged those 4 small holes (not the ones the pins go through but in between the ears that hold the pins) with Silicon caulk and fixed the problem! No need to redo the heavy sealer already applied by the factory. It’s a bit hard to describe but if you go on the roof, pull the corner pins out and remove the cover and look straight down at each attachment point you will see these “holes” in between each point.
You know, I was looking at those holes thinking no they couldn’t be hollow, I’ll hit with those silicone tomorrow It’s exactly where the water is dripping from in the inside.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #10

Quote:
The pic concurs with you and the location where the water entered. I siliconed the little holes and the last rain fall we were dry..:-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61bv0Km+o0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	233817  
Old 07-13-2020, 09:32 AM   #11

Quote:
I have the same problem and have taken my Micro Lite to the dealer twice for resolution. I'm not convinced the problem is solved because the dealer said the lid was not closed tightly. Not! I am going to look for those 4 small holes to see if they are the culprits of my occasional leak. Thanks for the suggestion.
Famoussenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famoussenior View Post
I have the same problem and have taken my Micro Lite to the dealer twice for resolution. I'm not convinced the problem is solved because the dealer said the lid was not closed tightly. Not! I am going to look for those 4 small holes to see if they are the culprits of my occasional leak. Thanks for the suggestion.
This forum has been very helpful, look above at the picture, when I pressed down on the soft dicor water actually came out of the hole identified just as IDboyle said to look. So far so good on the most recent rainfall.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:17 PM   #13

thanks for this! My new to me Micro 25fks leaked this weekend on my first trip with it. We had a tropical storm come through from the Gulf here in GA, and I saw it leaking the same way. I thought maybe it was because I had the fan open a little, but that shroud ( I thought) made that ok. Hopefully no real damage, and I will get up there tomorrow with some silicon. thanks again!
Old 06-21-2021, 05:53 PM   #14

it will be fine

you’ll be fine, I would take down the bathroom shroud part let it dry out. Mine is still dry after many rains and snow. Glad I could help :-)
Old 06-21-2021, 06:56 PM   #15

I have this exact same problem in my 2021 21DS/2104S. I did notice some of the factory sealant was less than ideal so I removed the leading edge and cleaned it all up and then put down my own sealant overlapping the existing really well (with a broken finger on one hand I had limits on what I could do)

I saw those holes and wondered about them as well but I didn't have my glasses to be able to see down inside them. I will be getting some silicon and filling them. I think self-leveling would want to run out easier into the roof unless you shoved something into the hole to keep it in place.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:03 PM   #16

self leveling

If I could go back in time, I would have tried the self leveling material squirted into the little holes. The reason I say this because sometime down the road the silicone may dry or separate and I read that dicor and silicone don’t work well together. I removed all the dicor around those holes and squirted the silicone deep into the openings. So far so good. I removed the inside shroud this season just give a look see and it is still dry. Those hole were definitely the entry point for me. Good Luck
Old 08-04-2021, 03:00 PM   #17

Maxx Air vent leak

Thanks for the super information I know it’s been a while but this is August 2021 and I have the same exact problem I got some silicone and plug those holes as well hopefully when it rains next I’ll be able to see nothing but a dry ceiling. My trailer is a 21 Rockwood Micro MiniLite 2506s.
Campr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:13 PM   #18

Subsequent to my post of July, 2020, I applied silicone to the holes in my Max air vent and the leaks went away. We recently experienced tropical storm winds on the Texas coast for three hours and did not incur any leakage from the vent. Problem solved.
Famoussenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #19

that’s great
Old 08-05-2021, 07:39 AM   #20

Rained last night and all is dry. I also found some dicor pulling away from one post and I will fix that with dicor when I get home. Thanks again!
Campr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, leak