Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2022, 12:23 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B Campin View Post
NJKris,
They used aluminum angle stock on three sides and screwed it to the floor. They didn’t have any trays. Here is the tray model I bought. I’ll report back on the fitment and install.

Bob
Hi All,
Spent a day installing some gear on the new 19FD. I first tackle installing Battery trays under the 2 already installed battle borns. It was easier than I thought since there was enough battery cable to move the batteries out of the way while I screwed down these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BI5W5O...roduct_details. Now they’re very secure inside the pass through that’s under the sofa. Also installed a Haloview rear view camera that had an adapter that took advantage of the furrion pre-wired mount. Next, I need to dig into whether a 12 volt Dc to Dc charger should be installed between my TV and the TT batteries. Any info would be appreciated. I’ll try to get a few pics of the battery install. Bob
Bob B Campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:36 AM   #82
Trailer Park Supervisor

Bob, put your tow vehicle/camper in your signature line like mine, this way we can keep things straight. I have an F150 and am interested in any tow vehicle charging changes. Luckily, with my propane fridge, my 100w panel on GeoPro roof keeps everything at 100% while on the move. Only benefit would be if I had low batteries in morning, and left before they could charge.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:47 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Bob, put your tow vehicle/camper in your signature line like mine, this way we can keep things straight. I have an F150 and am interested in any tow vehicle charging changes. Luckily, with my propane fridge, my 100w panel on GeoPro roof keeps everything at 100% while on the move. Only benefit would be if I had low batteries in morning, and left before they could charge.
NJKris, I’d love to add that info to my signature if I could figure out where to do that. I see the profile space, but nothing labeled signature. I did list my TV and other info on a different page. If you can direct me, I’d appreciate it.
Bob
Old 03-02-2022, 07:10 PM   #84

Never mind, I found it. Signature entered I think!
Thanks
Bob
TV - 2022 Honda Ridgeline AWD
2017 Winnebago View Class C (sold)
Dog, Toy Aussie, Bria
Old 03-02-2022, 07:26 PM   #85
Trailer Park Supervisor

Sig looks good!
Old 03-02-2022, 07:46 PM   #86

I hope I'm not hijacking this post. My 2 weize Lithium batteries arrived today for my 2021 19fd. I am aware of the limitations of my converter and PWM solar charger. Paperwork says to fully charge them before use. They were at 13.9 and 12.9. I have a Noco 10 charger to get them there. What special care besides this must I do? I have read I must:
1) fully discharge them 2-3x at first?
2) can I keep it continuously connected to the converter and solar? I heard that the converter breaker needs to be shut off unless charging on shore power as it has a big draw on the batteries.
3) are there any special steps in hooking them up? Any concerns about hooking up solar?
Adogbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:56 PM   #87
Trailer Park Supervisor

To fully charge, you will need either a Li capable charger, (don't know if your NOCO is), or hook them up to solar controller.

Batteries must be connected to solar controller before panel is, so cover panel or disconnect it up top.

Cables to Li batts from controller on wall should be 4 gauge, or at least 6 gauge.

The converter can only charge on shore power, I'm not understanding what you are asking in question 2.

You are going to use parallel connection to hook them up.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:06 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
To fully charge, you will need either a Li capable charger, (don't know if your NOCO is), or hook them up to solar controller.

Batteries must be connected to solar controller before panel is, so cover panel or disconnect it up top.

Cables to Li batts from controller on wall should be 4 gauge, or at least 6 gauge.

The converter can only charge on shore power, I'm not understanding what you are asking in question 2.

You are going to use parallel connection to hook them up.
Noco is lithium compatible.
battery to solar controller, check.
Parallel connection, check.
I'm not sure of the converter question either (lol) a buddy said the converter is in and of itself a large draw on the batteries????
Old 03-02-2022, 08:11 PM   #89
Trailer Park Supervisor

You mean the INverter I'm sure, used to convert battery power to AC power for outlets. Yes, it is a draw when on, even with no loads. If you have one. A 1000w inverter needs to be directly wired to batteries with 2 gauge cables.

Add your rig to your signature line like mine shows, hard to keep track of what everyone has without it.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:17 PM   #90

Got it, thx
Old 03-03-2022, 05:40 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogbmw View Post
... I heard that the converter breaker needs to be shut off unless charging on shore power as it has a big draw on the batteries.
The CONverter (120VAC->12VDC) breaker in the power center doesn't have to be off unless you also have an INverter (12VDC->120VAC) that is connected through a whole-house automatic transfer switch (ATS) that feeds the whole main power center. That is unlikely.

If you do have an INverter, it should be turned off via a separate switch unless intentionally using it. It is a load on the battery, even when not powering an AC appliance or device. That "idle" load is small but not zero. It's when you're powering something plugged into an AC outlet that it draws a larger load.

I, personally, do have an inverter feeding an ATS which then feeds the power center. That is unusual. It's a DIY retrofit project that was the easiest way for me to feed the large appliances (microwave, Keurig coffee maker on the kitchen counter) I want to use.

I have to shut off the CONverter breaker because it would form a loop in which the INverter would be supplying the CONverter which would charge the batteries which are supplying the INverter. That's pointless and ineffecient.

My practice is to shut off all the breakers when closing down the trailer. That way I have to consciously turn them on when setting up camp and am less likely to turn on the converter and water heater mistakenly, when I don't have shore power. Other people have different routines.

Factory-installed inverters often are "pass-through" devices that have an internal ATS. They are supplied by both the batteries and shore power (through a breaker in the power center). If there is shore power, that's what the inverter uses supplies to the connected outlet circuit; if there is no shore power, it supplies the connected outlet circuit from the battery, IF the separate switch for the inverter is turned on.

edit: Corrected terminology related to shore power to inverter.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:23 PM   #92

Wow, great explanation. My buddy who told me about this tried to explain it to me. Now I get it. You are correct it does not apply to me. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2022, 04:11 PM   #93

Switch to Lithium and changing battery location

I have a 2022 Geo Pro 19FD that I purchased a Renogy 200 Ah battery for-to replace the lead acid from the dealer. However, after receiving the Lithium battery discovered that it will not fit in the battery box on the tongue. Would it be possible/difficult to relocate the lithium battery to the pass-through storage area located under the murphy bed-as long as it is secure? I am hoping someone else has made a similar conversion and can inform me on any details. Thank You
Joe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:58 PM   #94

I haven’t done that myself but I imagine it’s possible. I ended up getting someone to weld a a couple flat bars on top of the tongue and put two battle borns in individual battery boxes. I first tried putting a double box on top but found there wasn’t enough room between the propane and front of the trailer.
AtlasGeoPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:54 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe51 View Post
I have a 2022 Geo Pro 19FD that I purchased a Renogy 200 Ah battery for-to replace the lead acid from the dealer. However, after receiving the Lithium battery discovered that it will not fit in the battery box on the tongue. Would it be possible/difficult to relocate the lithium battery to the pass-through storage area located under the murphy bed-as long as it is secure? I am hoping someone else has made a similar conversion and can inform me on any details. Thank You
Many people do. There are many mod threads in this forum with detailed pictures of how the owner installed theirs. At the risk of information overload, search the forum for lithium or LFP.

Old 06-18-2022, 06:51 PM   #96

Yes, I learned solar needs power to run. Kinda counterintuitive, but makes sense once you think about it. It doesn’t need much either. When I was troubleshooting it, before I understood it needed minimal battery power, I plugged it into my 15amp home for just a couple of mins and it was enough to kickstart the solar.
Old 06-18-2022, 06:52 PM   #97

I wish I knew about the lithium batteries. My unit is brand new and I just bought a battery that matched what the dealer put in. When I need to replace them I will certainly buy lithium. Plus the lesser weight on the tongue is helpful.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:44 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizmo View Post
I wish I knew about the lithium batteries. My unit is brand new and I just bought a battery that matched what the dealer put in. When I need to replace them I will certainly buy lithium. Plus the lesser weight on the tongue is helpful.
With LFP, battery weight on the tongue can be zero. You can put them anywhere, in any orientation. You'll probably want to for security reasons. That also allows you to locate them close to the charge sources, i.e., the solar charger controller and/or the converter/charger. That improves charge efficiency and reduces the required size of the cables between them. (Less voltage drop over a shorter distance.)

Old 06-20-2022, 09:14 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe51 View Post
I have the same battery and have been looking for a solution for temporary storage on the tongue before I tackle the project of moving it inside the trailer.

Have you found a battery box that will fit the Renogy?
Old 08-08-2022, 09:31 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrawford View Post
I have the same battery and have been looking for a solution for temporary storage on the tongue before I tackle the project of moving it inside the trailer.

Have you found a battery box that will fit the Renogy?

Try asking a dealer if they have a longer box. The trailers come from Rockwood with a box for two 6 V batteries which should be long enough for any one lithium or a pair of 100 AH lithium batteries if they are the smaller size. My dealer in Hot Springs, Arkansas sells the unneeded boxes for five dollars a piece, because they use a smaller box and provide one 12 V flooded battery to their customers. These five dollar bargain boxes fit perfectly on the 2205s tongue with two of my batteries in parallel.
Richard Dietzen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries