Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #1

Lithium battery addition

Im dense on many things including how to set up lithium batteries on a new 2614bs Rockwood ultra lite. I would like to add two 12 v lithium batteries as I would like to spend time boondocking. Not sure of the best brand to buy nor what other equipment I will need to make the best use of the battery storage. My dealer has not been of much help in this area. I'm hoping someone out there can give me some guidence on the matter
Thanks in advance
Spragueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:56 PM   #2

Lithium batteries in RV/Yacht sizes are horribly expensive and don't provide a lot of amphours. You need amphours, not cold cranking amps for dry camping.

You really want a $2000 battery bank of mediocre capacity?

You're better off with "golf cart" batteries at about 10% of the cost.

-- Chuck
Old 01-28-2020, 10:00 PM   #3

I have 2 Battleborn. Each are 100AH and you can use almost all of their capacity. There are a LOT of advantages of lithium...low weight...low voltage drop...low Peukert constant...charge really fast!

I wouldn't use any other battery.

Not sure why Chuck_S mentions cold crank amps.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:07 PM   #4

Batteries are typically sold based on Cold Cranking Amps -- which is meaningless in deep cycle applications. "You need amphours, not cold cranking amps for dry camping." Just a reminder.

-- Chuck
Old 01-28-2020, 10:10 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I have 2 Battleborn. Each are 100AH and you can use almost all of their capacity. There are a LOT of advantages of lithium...low weight...low voltage drop...low Peukert constant...charge really fast!

I wouldn't use any other battery.

Not sure why Chuck_S mentions cold crank amps.
I have 4 of the Battle Born batteries.

I did upgrade my converter/charger. And on my new rig, I installed a 20amp/120v outlet and installed the converter within 3’ of the batteries. My charging speed jumped by double.

The only other thing I’d recommend is a good battery monitor like the Victron BMV-712.

Here’s my write-up on my battery upgrade on my original rig (I removed everything and put it into the new rig when we upgraded back in Feb 2018).

https://learntorv.com/battery-upgrade/
Old 01-28-2020, 10:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Batteries are typically sold based on Cold Cranking Amps -- which is meaningless in deep cycle applications. "You need amphours, not cold cranking amps for dry camping." Just a reminder.

-- Chuck
LOL...so what! We are talking about lithium batteries here! They outperform any lead acid battery for deep cycle use.

You need to educate yourself a little before commenting.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:12 PM   #7

I upgraded my converter to a lithium specific converter but I was upgrading my converter anyway.

I also use a Victron BMV-712

With my 60A converter, I can put in a full 60A until the battery is completely charged. No way that will EVER happen with lead acid. Very useful when you have limited generator hours. I have solar so I hardly ever use a generator but even with solar, I am charging at a higher rate than I would with lead acid.

Lithium have a Peukert's constant close to 1. Lead acid is 1.2 or worse. That means if you use an inverter, your 220AH GC batteries have a much lower capacity at higher than the 20hr rate.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:28 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I upgraded my converter to a lithium specific converter but I was upgrading my converter anyway.

I also use a Victron BMV-712

With my 60A converter, I can put in a full 60A until the battery is completely charged. No way that will EVER happen with lead acid. Very useful when you have limited generator hours. I have solar so I hardly ever use a generator but even with solar, I am charging at a higher rate than I would with lead acid.

Lithium have a Peukert's constant close to 1. Lead acid is 1.2 or worse. That means if you use an inverter, your 220AH GC batteries have a much lower capacity.
That’s part of why I want the Victron Multiplus inverter/charger. My buddy was seeing 100+ amps pushed into his batteries.

And I want a nicer inverter anyway, so win/win.

Just so many pennies!
Old 01-28-2020, 11:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That’s part of why I want the Victron Multiplus inverter/charger. My buddy was seeing 100+ amps pushed into his batteries.

And I want a nicer inverter anyway, so win/win.

Just so many pennies!
On my todo list is load up the CCGX system onto a Raspbery Pi with a small LCD screen.
https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki

I actually hardly ever use my converter. I rarely am at a campsite with power.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:51 AM   #10

3 Battleborns, 2 Rec 325 panels wired in series, Victron 3000, Victron 100/50 controller, Victron BMV-712 and associated breakers, fuses, etc. Made my own battery wires, 0000 sized. I did all the work myself. Hardest part was running the wires for the BMV712. I once asked a parts guy at a RV store why anyone would spend $950 for a Lithium battery when a deep cycle lead acid is maybe $130. Even if you have to replace it every other year, the lead acid seemed the better way. Then I researched lithium and lead acid. First, a 100 aH lead acid is really on a 50aH because you can't discharge past 50%. You can discharge the Battleborns 100%. So now you need 2 100aH lead acids to equal the energy of 1 lithium. 1 lithium is 29lbs while 2 lead acids is 130lbs. The lead acids have no warranty and the Battleborns have 8 years then 2 prorated for 10 years total. I went to their facility and saw how they built the batteries. Anyway, PM me if you want, I can call you and we can talk. FYI: My system cost me $6000. After tax CREDITS, I paid $3000. Sorry for rambling...it's late and I'm tired.
flhtci2006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery