Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
For you fellows that do not own a torque wrench, they are available at "HARBOR FRIEGHT" for a 1/2" drive @ $24.99. It is good for the lug nuts on the fancy wheels that you have to check constantly because being mfg of aluminum.
The torque wrench is made in Taiwan, guaranteed to 4% to specs! Comes in it own carry case, torques from 20ft/lb to 150 ft/lb. It is the "CLICKER TYPE".

The correct torque for a 3/8" grade #8 bolt is 47 ft/lbs.

All the torque specs are in your AL-KO axle owners manual.
I have a torque wrench.....back in Portugal we could only bring 23kgs each in luggage and we are here for 6 months so tools were not on the list of essentials, I have bought quite a lot since here tho, the RV needs them! Thanks for the tip, I have not seen Harbor freight yet, I will google them

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #62

Thanks for the info, I wonder what FR would say about all the above, and would it effect our warrenty, and if this is a problem has any one contacted them and had any luck with a answer. Eagleman
EAGLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #63

I contacted John Stringer, a rockwood rep. He said he hadn't heard of any problems with the axles. I made him aware of this site and thread and he said he would check it out. He told me a guy would get with me who was more on the technical side to explain the design, I have not heard from him. John was a really nice guy to talk to and advised me I could contact him with any issue. I still haven't drilled and installed bolts yet. I retorqued the factory bolts and plan on keeping an eye on them
sschifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:55 AM   #64

I don't think it would help if someone from the company "explained" the design, as it is simply a very bad design.
I had it explained to me that the slots were to allow for slippage in case the wheels hit a very bad bump in the road. But the explanation did not include what happens after they slip, and the weight distribution between the axles is changed, and one axle can become over-loaded. That can easily result in an over-loaded tire which is a ticking time-bomb.
I would much rather err on the side of caution, and bolt the axles up tight, as they are on just about every other trailer I have ever seen.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #65

Inquring minds need to know...

I have been thinking about this issue for some time now, as I look under my 8281SS and see the same gap between the axle mounting flange and frame. But in my case I dont see any movement i.e. washer imprint in the paint like some of the pictures posted. I was debating whether or not i should be adjusting the axles so they fit flush with the frame. I was sort of hesistant to do so as this seems like this could affect alignment. A few days ago someone posted about the bow in the axle being up or down, I believe the posters suspension was leaf and not torsion bar...but it made me wonder if the axle tube on torsions is also bowed for + - camber. If so...changing this gap would possibly affect the toe in / out of tires no?

2010 Rockwood 8281SS Signature Ultra Light
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 w/6.7 Cummins
bobsquarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsquarepants View Post
I have been thinking about this issue for some time now, as I look under my 8281SS and see the same gap between the axle mounting flange and frame. But in my case I dont see any movement i.e. washer imprint in the paint like some of the pictures posted. I was debating whether or not i should be adjusting the axles so they fit flush with the frame. I was sort of hesistant to do so as this seems like this could affect alignment. A few days ago someone posted about the bow in the axle being up or down, I believe the posters suspension was leaf and not torsion bar...but it made me wonder if the axle tube on torsions is also bowed for + - camber. If so...changing this gap would possibly affect the toe in / out of tires no?
I bet if you put a wrench on those bolts they will loosen easily, they might have been torqued to spec at the factory but the very thin washers they use make torquing to spec useless, they bend into the larger slotted hole and therfore they become loose, this is only part of the problem. The other part is that there are no bolts between frame and the upper part of the axle flange.

I slackened off the bolts, jacked the flanges up to the frame, re-torqued the bolts, drilled and fitted 5/8 bolts to stop any further movement. I fitted 4 new tires at the time (due to tire failures, another story) and after 7500 miles I can say the wear on the tires is perfectly even. The rectification of the problem does not affect camber or allignment.

IMO the sloted holes are there to allow for spacers, if required, to be fitted between flange and frame, but there should also be bolts fitted vertically between frame and the existing flange holes to prevent unwanted movement in the slotted holes. FR or Lippert fail to see the need for these, if they had then we would not have this particular problem.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Old 07-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #67

I have a 2010 8286WS with the same problem. (This is my first attempt at uploading pictures)

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-07-06_16-51-32_727 small.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	6715

Name:	2011-07-06_17-17-41_59 small.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	6716

Name:	2011-07-06_17-18-16_765 small.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	6717

I loosened the bolts up and retorqued, and 2 of the axels moved as soon as I took the jack off. So, I cross drilled new holes and installed 1 more bolt per side on the leading edge of the axle. I figured the shear strength of the bolt by cross bolting would be stronger than pulling on a bolt attached to that thin box frame above the axle.

Name:	2011-07-06_20-47-16_183 small.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	6718

While I was under there, the under belly was hanging low and I could hear metal banging when I pushed up on it. I let down the front and found the supports for the waste tanks were supposed to be just hooked on to the frame and had come off. I reattached and added a wedge between the tank and the support to keep it in place.

Name:	2011-07-06_20-51-24_138 small.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	6719

We love the layout and looks of the fifth wheel, but I am starting to seriously question the quality of Forest River products!
pschnetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #68

pschnetts good job, just the front should be okay all the ones that I have read about on this forum came loose at the front. I did back and front since I was under there filty wet and had all the tools in place, keep an eye on it.

The tank brackets are a bit worrying, I will do a "belly thump" test today.

Overall I am impressed with the FR product there are just a few niggles, such as these two and them fitting C rated tires when D rated should have been fitted, they need to read the forums more and listen to buyers of their products I Should start a new thread to get all the niggles in one place and Invite FR to read it.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #69
Mod free 5er

Not for just 8285 axles, but for all Alko axles on all FR products this should be checked. If left unchecked or not fixed, it could have disasterous results as the axles have actually been known to come out from under trailers in making slow speed turns where there are high side loads on the suspension.

For those that haven't checked their axles lately or installed more bolts, I might suggest a quick inspection. As part of the deal when we bought our new 5er in Feb, the dealer drilled 8 holes in the tube the axles sit on and installed 1/2" gr 8 bolts, washers & nuts. Took the tech 4 hrs to do it as it is a pretty hard job. I did it myself on our 08 Flagstaff. Here are the pictures of the installation of the additional hardware.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00017.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	16781   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00018.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	16782   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00019.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	16783   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00020.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	16784  
Old 07-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #70

Uggg, this thread is a year old, FR was notified at that time, they have paid for the warranty work to fix some of these, yet it still exists on 2012's?
btmfdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #71
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmfdr View Post
Uggg, this thread is a year old, FR was notified at that time, they have paid for the warranty work to fix some of these, yet it still exists on 2012's?

Yep, I caught mine at the dealers lot and it had only came the distance from Goshen, IN to Concord, NC. Dealer couldn't believe it, but was sure receptive to fixing it before it left his lot. It did cause a pretty good stir around there for a couple of days. Some dealers do care and Tom Johnson's is one of them.

Oh, BTW btmfdr, I personally notified them by phone & email in 08 when I discovered it. FR said they would look into it. I guess they are still looking.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Oh, BTW btmfdr, I personally notified them by phone & email in 08 when I discovered it. FR said they would look into it. I guess they are still looking.
Wonder if they started looking for the axles on the roof, must be at the windows by now... Another 4 years and they will discover their truly are axles under there...

I can't believe no one on here has posted disastrous results due to this issue...
btmfdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #73
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmfdr View Post
... can't believe no one on here has posted disastrous results due to this issue...
Maybe the forum postings have prevented it. I think it would be a very remote chance that they pivot down far enough and the turn severe enough to have it happen. I've tried to find the pictures of the one that caused me to check it. Tore the devil out of the camper when the axle swiveled under the trailer. The guy was pulling out of a gas station.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #74

FR should at least ensure current production has the modification if not a recall on all models. To do it in production would take 10 minutes with hardware costing less than $1.....

Cmon Forest River step up to the plate and just do it!!!

I know they read this forum.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #75
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Received answer back from Forest River. They are very concerned about the axles slipping and a ongoing brake problem I have. FR told me that it was uncommon for the axles slipping. They said to not drill any holes, The axles have to be realigned and the bolts torqued properly. They said apparently the bolts were not torqued properly when aligned to the frame at time of production. I have contracted with a trailer axle, frame specialty shop for the alignment and brake repair. I will pay the bill , then be reimbursed by Forest River for my out of pocket cost. The 8285WS is under warranty (1/27/2011 bought).

I had made the statement to Forest River about when it is all done that I would like 1/2" holes drilled in the vertical mounting plates next to the slotted holes with 1/2" bolts installed. They were very firm about not drilling any holes, that proper torque should correct the problem. I will have to rely on the axle shops repair work. Axle shop said torque properly, should be good enough with out drilling holes also!

I will keep all posted.
I can see the reason for not drilling in the vertical plate, but there is no reason for not drilling a hole in the bottom of the 2 x 2 tubing using the EXISTING hole in the axle mount as a template. FR just doesn't want to admit a major design blunder. The thin vertical plates will not stop the side to side loads applied while making sharp turns. A 1st yr mech. design engr student would get a failing grade for this kind of blunder.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

I jacked up the camper today checking the brakes and noticed that the front axle had moved as discussed here. I've checked it previously and looked okay...I tightened the mounting bolts at the time. Only the front axles had moved...about 3/8" opening at the front. I bolted the front of the mount up into the 2x2 spacer and tighten all up.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #77
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I jacked up the camper today checking the brakes and noticed that the front axle had moved as discussed here. I've checked it previously and looked okay...I tightened the mounting bolts at the time. Only the front axles had moved...about 3/8" opening at the front. I bolted the front of the mount up into the 2x2 spacer and tighten all up.

Dave
Did you do both sides of both axles just for insurance and peace of mind?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #78

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Glad to see the post about the axels again------

Thanks for bringing up the problem about the space in the axles again. Have checked mine regular any movement. I did drill and install grade 8 bolts in the vertical plates last year when the problem was discovered. Nothing has moved after 6000+ miles and the tires are evenly wearing all around as should be.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #79
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Thanks for bringing up the problem about the space in the axles again. Have checked mine regular any movement. I did drill and install grade 8 bolts in the vertical plates last year when the problem was discovered. Nothing has moved after 6000+ miles and the tires are evenly wearing all around as should be.
You drilled in the vertical plates where the factory bolts are as opposed to using the axle support hole and drilling into the 2 x 2 tube? Is that correct?
Old 07-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #80

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Yep, Sho did drill ----------------

Sure did drill the holes about 1 1/2" above the slotted adjustment hole. If you go back and look at my post and pictures, you will see the new bolts installed. Go to page #5 to view, torqued the grade 8 bolts to 47 ft lbs.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle