Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #1

Looking at a 8312SS

We are looking to upgrade from our 2502s to a 8312ss. Love the bunkroom in the back and outdoor kitchen. Still working some numbers from the dealer. Anyone have this model, if so, I'd love to hear from u. Our tow vehicle is an 11 Tundra 5.7 liter with tow package and sway control hitch.
toadswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #2

I do not believe you will be disappointed with the 8312ss. We purchased one in Nov of last year and love it. We also tow it with a 07 Tundra. It pulls great.

Congrats
rplew716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #3

Absolutely you will not be disappointed. We pick up our 8312ss last Thursday for the Canadian long weekend. Totally impressed. Tv is a 05 Dodge Durango hemi 5.7 with tow package and w/d hitch. Tow/haul came in very much with the head wind we had. Love the whole trailer.
waynec78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #4

We have had ours for a few months, love it as well. Outdoor kitchen is a must in my opinion. My chev 1500 didn't like the tow with the 5.3 but the tundra will do much better! Good luck!
Selib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #5

Great Trailer! We have been very happy with it! Let us know if you have any specific questions about it.
FarmerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #6

8312ss

We picked up our 8312SS in March and have make 7 camping trips this year and each one has been enjoyable. The trailer has everything we need no matter the weather. The outdoor kitchen is awesome.
marcguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:47 AM   #7

Looking to upgrade from popup

Hi, we are looking to upgrade from a popup to a travel trailer and like the Rockwoods. The 8312SS looks like a really nice one especially with the room the extra slide offers for the kids area. My only concern is the smaller upper bunk which seems too tight to be comfortable. We have two kids, 13 & 11 and we would like for them to invite friends to go camping with us. Have any of you had your kids sleep in that smaller bunk?
Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #8

Upper Bunks

Actually we have not used either upper bunks for sleeping yet, we have two small children ages 6 and 9 and they both crash on the lower area. Though my opinion is that those upper bunks seem a pretty good size.
marcguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #9

upper bunks

Just came back from 4 days trip. On smaller bunk, we slept a 8 yrs old girl, larger bunk slept 2 boys ages 14 and 10. We had upgraded to sleeper with air mattress that slept 2 adults. A little cramped, but was only used for sleeping at night. during the day sofa was great for the kids to play their video games.

Good luck
rplew716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplew716
Just came back from 4 days trip. On smaller bunk, we slept a 8 yrs old girl, larger bunk slept 2 boys ages 14 and 10. We had upgraded to sleeper with air mattress that slept 2 adults. A little cramped, but was only used for sleeping at night. during the day sofa was great for the kids to play their video games.

Good luck
Wow, you really got to use yours to the full extent. I haven't seen any listings with the sleeper you mentioned but will ask our dealer. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #11

The smaller upper bunk is approx. 6ft by 2.8ft. The larger bunk above the wardrobe is 6ft by 3.7 ft. I don't have large kids so I built a crib front that connects to the walls over the top large bunk. My 18 month old son loves sleeping in the bunk it is his fort! I have laid in the larger bunk and it was comfortable, I haven't tried the small one. I can tell you my rectangular sleeping bag fits on it. My concern would be rolling off the bunk!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #12

Hey, thanks for the note, FarmerMT. You raise a good point with your concern for rolling off. I think we'll leave the smaller bunk for bags and stuff. I was more concerened about the headroom above the smaller bunk. Is there even room for a kid to bend their knees without hitting the ceiling?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #13

27 inches in the large bunk, 21 inches in the small bunk. We use our small bunk for bags, starting next weekend we will be putting our 9 week old up there to sleep.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to theanglins
We purchased one in May 2011. You will not be disappointed, you will get lots of stare. You have one of the nices fit and finishes on the market. We look at a Outback basically the same as the 8312SS but the Rockwood is way nicer. You'll have a outside kitchen that really cool ,you will fine yourself cooking out side a lot more often because you have everything out there. The TV are of top makes and it very elegant. We are camping right now and we have 9 people and we all sleep quite comfortable 4 in the back 1 in the dinning area 2 on the pull out sofa air matters and my wife and I in the master bed room. I would go as far as calling it a master bedroom, but it will do it quit comfortable We love it..
I'm putting more pic on my profile you see what I'm talking about....
Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #15

Thanks Doug & Theresa. You are the second couple to describe how you've been able to accommodate so many in the Rockwood 8312SS. Did you have anyone sleeping in the small bunk or was it 2 in the big bunk and 2 on the cube sofa?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #16

It was two on the futon style sofa. One on each of the top bunks 2 on the futon style cushion bed. It can sleep 10.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #17

Oh I fogot to tell you that my 16 year daughter sleep in the top bunk I just asked her how it is, she says it fine she comfortable, We have one of her friend staying with us from germany for a mouth and she is also 16. They slay in the back room. They use the top bunks to sleep on and the bottom as a lounge. I have a TV and a DVD player set back in the corner in the hole where the TV goes in the wall. Close the pocket door and they have there little teen pad back there witch keep the out of my hair for hour on end. Small kids i dont have anymore but i see you concern about them falling off the bunk in the night because there are no bar or protector to keep the in place when there sleeping. My wife wants me to mention the storage space. We can't fill all of it and we have all the comfort of home.

Tags
8312ss