Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2022, 04:14 AM   #41

Next

Thanks.
I know this is super quick and I swear we’ve been looking for months for bunk room out foot kitchen full bedroom for us and 2 slides.

But this evening at dinner saw a shadow cruiser (not real familiar with the. Brand). It’s a 13 model.

They call it 35 ft. I think prob a 31 box but I’ll confirm.
2 slides. Front master no slide. Rear bunk with backside slide snd a super slide

Has full outdoor kitchen.

AC was replaced 2-3 years ago and the roof resealed then.

Price looks. Good. Asking several k less than the windjammer was of course. It’s a little older here.

I’m going in the morning to look at it first.

It has been very rare to find outdoor kitchen, 2 slides bunk room long awning 2 doors. And Undinettte and for several below 20k.

Looks modern. Certainly lacks several bells and whistles that the wind jammer had no doubt.

Oh and it’s empty weight is 6300 lb. so a lot higher. I dunno if I’ve ever seen a2 slide camper this big at 6300 lb. 830 tongue as listed.

This one doesn’t have a sofa. The dinette is U but looks like it was custom ordered so it spans the entire super slide where a sofa would also be and has 2 tables that sit in post grommets in the floor. Unique but it might be a good unique and save a little more cash.

I’ll see it in a few hours.

Old 02-18-2022, 04:44 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by debit View Post
Well darn! But on the positive you have gain a lot of knowledge for the next great TT. Best wishes.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:40 PM   #43

I pull my 2017 3008 Windjammer with my 2017 Silverado Z71 with the 5.3 and 3.42 rear axle. YES its a load but I know that and drive sensible. We travel within 500miles out and back and are aware of the weather when we tow. For us it's fine but others my disagree. I suggest before you buy pull it down the road and see for your self.
Windjammer3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:16 PM   #44

We had a 2013 Windjammer which we absolutely loved! We pulled it all over the Western US & Southern Canada in 2013 on a road trip. We towed the trailer 8,500 miles with a 2012 F-150 with max tow package (still have the F-150). Tragically, we totaled the trailer in 2016. It was a lot of trailer, but the ecoboost towed it flawlessly.
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:25 PM   #45

We have a 2017 3008w Windjammer (front galley.) Purchased new with nearly every option! Best travel trailer we’ve ever owned after several in the 35ft range! The V-nose does cut the wind. Quality is outstanding, amenities are super! Trailers gross vehicular weight is under 10k with hitch near 1k. Pulls like a dream!
If you like the floor plan you can’t go wrong!

Our truck is a 3500 dually, fully equipped for heavyweight towing in strong crosswinds of NE California and W Nevada,

Your half ton will be near or at max capacity but have seen the Windjammers on half tons doing ok! Highly recommend a Curt/Reese equalizer, 4pt WD ant-sway type hitch of proper weight and set up properly, 10 ply tires, and air-bag rear spring assist.

Awesome trailer!
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4, DRW, Cummins H.O., Asian 6sp., 4:10 gears, limited slip.
hotrod6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmartin67 View Post
We had a 2013 Windjammer which we absolutely loved! We pulled it all over the Western US & Southern Canada in 2013 on a road trip. We towed the trailer 8,500 miles with a 2012 F-150 with max tow package (still have the F-150). Tragically, we totaled the trailer in 2016. It was a lot of trailer, but the ecoboost towed it flawlessly.
What happened to the camper? Lose it in sway or anything?

I almost went yesterday and looked to buy a mallard M33. The weight was 7800 dry. But that think was 36’9” bumper to hitch and I was afraid that was just too much length for a 150. Don’t wanna put my family at any risk.
I let it go and it sold today. It was gorgeous and great deal with 3 slides.
Rhizzlebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:19 PM   #47

Windjammer

We also had a 16 windjammer and it was a nice trailer. Towed it with my 13 f150 long wheelbase with 6.75 ft box. Truck had 3.5 eco boost and 3.73 gears max tow pkg including elephant ear mirrors. Towed it all around the maritimes with no issues.
Longstaff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:32 PM   #48

We had the 3008W. Really liked it. We got better gas mileage and it pulled better than the TT we had. Pulled it with a 2015 Tundra. Pulled great. Our Tundra has 10,400 towing capacity. We traded it for a fifth wheel.
zanoffmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:37 PM   #49

We had a 2017 3006wk. Seemed like a great floor plan for the family. However the bunks were smaller than other models with rear bunk rooms and outdoor kitchens. I personally wouldn’t buy another V-nose, they stopped making them for a reason.
Ctojr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 06:40 AM   #50

Anyone with these 3006wk. And young kids. Ever had trouble with your kid opening the escape door and just crawling out? Been trying to figure how I’d secure it for certain if I find one to buy at a good price.

I know there’s a red lock button inside but my boys can open that. Thought about a stick in the pocket outside and thought about a bunk bed side rail on the back side of that bed to block the door.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:32 AM   #51
Grumpy Old Member

I still own a 2012 Windjammer 3008w and enjoy it for extended periods in the spring, summer and fall. While I am not an over the road camper any more I can attest to the quality of the product.

No real failures over the years, she still has all of her original equipment. I am planning on changing the refrigerator this year but not due to failure of the Norcold unit. Compressor based solutions are now available that both fit the hole and will add tremendously to the interior space. Not to mention significantly helping my monthly electric bill.

I was sorry to hear that Forest River had decided to discontinue the Windjammer but I guess that makes them all the more nice to find.

Good luck with your hunt!

2012 Windjammer 2008w
2020 RAM 1500
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:55 AM   #52

Windjammer

Sir,
I own a 2015 windjammer, we spent 4-5 years looking for this particular floor plan! It is model 3025W. My wife and I both love it. We bought it from camper world in PA. In 2019. I was advised when you buy a trailer new to you, to make your first camping trip near your home to get use to it. Eventually we will be going full time with it. One of the first things I did was during a heavy down pour was go into it and check the roof for any leaks anywhere, our ceiling should no discoloration anywhere, it was all good. The next thing I did was have the axle grease changed so I know that is good, also had the brakes checked for wear (better piece of mind). Eveything on ours runs great, but the one of the slide motors is starting to squeak! The only negitive item was actually the tires, they are west lake, made in China, do not know much about them. Replacing as soon as I can. To us it is a well built trailer, and it looked as if it was taken good care of prior to us. Well good look with yours, oh yeah I had a 2003 Ram 2500 gas engine 5.7 to tow it. It did it but struggled though the passes in western PA. Have upgraded to a 2012 Ram 3500 with a Cummings Diesel 6.7 Turbo, much better! As far as the “V” front end saving fuel? According to my computer in the truck, I get 18 - 20 mpg not towing and 12-15 while towing (Diesel Fuel). Hope this helps. Rick
Trainaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 10:34 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizzlebop View Post
Anyone with these 3006wk. And young kids. Ever had trouble with your kid opening the escape door and just crawling out? Been trying to figure how I’d secure it for certain if I find one to buy at a good price.

I know there’s a red lock button inside but my boys can open that. Thought about a stick in the pocket outside and thought about a bunk bed side rail on the back side of that bed to block the door.
In the final year of production they eliminated this door, while it seemed convenient, it was also the source of water leaks for many according to factory rep I spoke with.
Ctojr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 10:52 AM   #54

Emergency door

Sir,
Our Windjammer has two main doors one in the main room towards the back and one in the bedroom. This was one of the positive items we wanted 2 doors. As far as the kids go, I’m sure that was probably intended for an emergency door if needed, so trying to lock it, might not be a good idea!? If they did away with that door, did you ask way and maybe how to secure it from kids. Hopefully there is an emergency access we’re the kids are! The only thing I can think of is maybe an actual camper door lock Assy. On our door in the bedroom we lock it from the outside during the day, so you can’t unlock it from the inside, then unlock it during the night and lock it from the inside at night, where you can unlock from the inside as well. Hope this helps. Rick
Trainaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:26 AM   #55

I currently own a 2016 Windjammer 3006wk Diamond edition. It is a great trailer. The standard 3006WK does come with a 13,500btu AC. The diamond edition comes with a 15,000btu AC and it struggles to keep up with the humidity that we have in the Midwest in the summer months. I also notice that the pressure that is coming from the ceiling AC ducts is not very high. I suspect that it is due to loss of cold air in the ceiling around the AC roof penetration. I plan on modifying that space with reflectix and foil tape to attempt to get better pressure to all the AC ducts.

I also have a double fan setup that I wired for the inside of my refrigerator. It was fairly inexpensive and it helps out a lot when the weather is really hot with no shade.

We added Reflectix to all windows, shower skylight, and the overhead vents to keep the heat out. This helps tremendously.

The power stabilizers are not very effective and would benefit from using the Valterra Stabilizers or similar product.

With a few minor modifications, this trailer has served us well and we really enjoy it.

I do not know if the V nose pulls better than a comparably sized flat front camper as I have never pulled anything but he V nose in a 33' trailer length. We did have a 2012 Rockwood Roo 21SS hybrid that had a flat nose, but it was considerably shorter (21') and lighter than the Windjammer.

I used to run a GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 5 1/2' bed with the max tow package and an Equal-I-Zer 4 point sway control hitch to pull this camper. I will be totally honest with you, it was not a good situation to be in. The trailer was way too heavy for the 1/2 ton. Yes, it could pull it, without a doubt. The issues I ran into were more to do with the tail wagging the dog than the engine power. Trailer sway when a truck passed me, and more white knuckle moments than I care to remember. We kept around our home base within 3 hours and did not pull in any mountainous regions.

I have since upgraded TV to a RAM 3500 SRW Crew Cab with the 6'4" bed and the 6.7L CTD. The difference is night and day. Much more stable and safer still using the same WDH too. No more sway if a truck passes me, no more white knuckle moments. I understand that not everyone wants or is able to upgrade their TV, but in my case, I felt it was necessary.
thehaluskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 02:35 PM   #56

A guy posted here yestersay that he has a 3006wk and was thinking of selling it. I was reading back here in this thread trying to find that post but it appears to be gone.

I’m not sure if that sort of post might be against forum policy and got deleted or what. I think the username was like mpeters or something. Does anyone recall seeing that? I just wanted to check the profile. I’m in cell contact with him.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2022, 05:00 PM   #57

Had a V-cross Vibe 26 ft.

We had a V-cross Vibe 26 ft with the Kitchen in front. We loved the layout, but hated pulling it. It had terrible sway issues. Went through 3 trucks, each larger than the previous to try to resolve the issue. Had the trailer and truck weighed by RV experts to see if they could find the issue with the weight distribution and there wasn't. I adjusted the Blue OX hitch no less that a dozen times (half with blue OX rep on the phone helping) trying to find the perfect spot. Finally went to a Pro-Pride and it corrected most of the issue, but could still tell that it was wanting to sway. With my v-nose, I was limited on the type of weight distribution system I could setup because of the length of the tongue.
Jimmers59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:02 PM   #58

Hello all,
Just purchased a 2015 Windjammer 3008 with the the Platinum package.
Any tips or must do modifications anyone recommends?
RVngFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:31 PM   #59
MCTroy

Congrats!! Welcome to the V nose group.
You will find plenty of ways to make your trailer more personal. I would suggest new tires. Good Carlisle load D tires made a bug difference when towing ours.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:43 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVngFam View Post
Hello all,
Just purchased a 2015 Windjammer 3008 with the the Platinum package.
Any tips or must do modifications anyone recommends?
I’m about to be new to the jammer family. But one thing I feel confident of. Regarding tires. Get Goodyear endurance or Maxxis M8008t tires. Everything else are China bombs. Not a matter of if they explode but when.

Also are you getting a nice equalizer hitch or a conventional chain type load hitch?

Tags
windjammer