Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2022, 12:21 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizzlebop View Post
Sweet. Anything interesting there that kids might like? Two young boys we have to keep entertained
We plan to fish with the grandchildren. We’ve been there once. We hiked around the pond and mostly didn’t do much other than figure out how to enjoy our trailer. It was our first trip.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:28 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
We plan to fish with the grandchildren. We’ve been there once. We hiked around the pond and mostly didn’t do much other than figure out how to enjoy our trailer. It was our first trip.
Gotcha. We’re not big fishermen. My 6 yr old says he wants to fish but that’s also partly because he’s never done it. We may give it a shot at the beach this year but wouldn’t plan for much time on that just yet. They lose attention on one thing pretty quickly. He would be trying to hook his brothers shirt most likely.
Rhizzlebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:30 AM   #83

Back to the focus of this thread.

Regaridng the built in water filter system.

I think I know where it is in the 3006wk. Under the kitchen pantry cabinet across from the bathroom.
Have to screw the door hinges off to access.

What’s the deal with bypassing that thing? We use a filter on the hose outside. All I’ve read is those filters are too pricy and hard to get to. So how do you bypass it? Do you just remove the filter somehow and close it back up or do you have to do a little work to bypass it?

Thanks. I meant to look at this over the weekend and forgot. It’s currently across town at my buddies house while we try to sale our other one because I only have a spot to store one camper.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:35 AM   #84

Quote:
Back to the focus of this thread.

Regaridng the built in water filter system.

I think I know where it is in the 3006wk. Under the kitchen pantry cabinet across from the bathroom.

Have to screw the door hinges off to access.

What’s the deal with bypassing that thing? We use a filter on the hose outside. All I’ve read is those filters are too pricy and hard to get to. So how do you bypass it? Do you just remove the filter somehow and close it back up or do you have to do a little work to bypass it?

Thanks. I meant to look at this over the weekend and forgot. It’s currently across town at my buddies house while we try to sale our other one because I only have a spot to store one camper.
I’ve considered leaving the filter out and adding an exterior one. Mines not as involved to access as yours but it’s still not particularly easy. I paid $20-ish on Amazon recently. So my vote would be to leave the housing empty. I wouldn’t remove it or bypass it.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:29 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
I’ve considered leaving the filter out and adding an exterior one. Mines not as involved to access as yours but it’s still not particularly easy. I paid $20-ish on Amazon recently. So my vote would be to leave the housing empty. I wouldn’t remove it or bypass it.
Ok. I haven’t looked at the thing yet. So I’m assuming there is a filter in there and it’s probably original and old. So I need to open that door and see. But from what you’re saying I can just take the filter out close it up and keep mine in the exterior? Just that simple?
Old 03-21-2022, 10:32 AM   #86

Quote:
Ok. I haven’t looked at the thing yet. So I’m assuming there is a filter in there and it’s probably original and old. So I need to open that door and see. But from what you’re saying I can just take the filter out close it up and keep mine in the exterior? Just that simple?
That’s what I would do if I ever quit using the one that came with the trailer. Yours might be different from mine, though.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:50 AM   #87
MCTroy

We ignore the interior water filter and use an external one. The only time I cuss the internal one is during winterizing when I have to open it to dump it. Dang thing dumps weverything. time.
Bypassing it is on my list. There are shark bite connectors that make it an easier job
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:46 PM   #88

I run both external and the factory house filter. House filter elements are pricey but I pull it before winterization. External one catches most of the crap, getting a couple seasons out of the house filter. I have plans to retro a more common filter head for better element selection one these days. On our 3008w jammer, all the water works are under the bathroom sink. Kind of tight quarters but accessible!
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4, DRW, Cummins H.O., Asian 6sp., 4:10 gears, limited slip.
hotrod6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:00 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod6 View Post
I run both external and the factory house filter. House filter elements are pricey but I pull it before winterization. External one catches most of the crap, getting a couple seasons out of the house filter. I have plans to retro a more common filter head for better element selection one these days. On our 3008w jammer, all the water works are under the bathroom sink. Kind of tight quarters but accessible!
So where does one order this inside filter? Is it some PUR brand?

Also I’ve not seen this big wrench thing I’ve seen in some YouTube videos. Unless it’s inside that locked cabinet with the filter the. I don’t have one. Looks like an oil filter wrench. So if my trailer no longer has one how the heck I get that thing out?
Old 03-21-2022, 09:32 PM   #90

It is a Water Pur KW1 cartridge that fits the housing. I get them at Amazon. You will need to get a spanner wrench to fit. A strap wrench will also work. Main thing is to grasp the mounted housing and set the wrench at the very top of the clear case and un screw it. It is plastic and can break. De-pressurize the water system, place a towel and small bowl underneath to catch spillage. Amazon should also have the spanner.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4, DRW, Cummins H.O., Asian 6sp., 4:10 gears, limited slip.
hotrod6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 07:46 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod6 View Post
It is a Water Pur KW1 cartridge that fits the housing. I get them at Amazon. You will need to get a spanner wrench to fit. A strap wrench will also work. Main thing is to grasp the mounted housing and set the wrench at the very top of the clear case and un screw it. It is plastic and can break. De-pressurize the water system, place a towel and small bowl underneath to catch spillage. Amazon should also have the spanner.
Thanks. I’ll look into this. Looking on Amazon looks like $28 for the filter. I can prob buy a couple shark bites and be done with that for less than $28. I use a blue Camco on the hose faucet outside.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:17 AM   #92

I’m gonna try to check out this filter location some time this week. Busy with work right now.

A separate note that I’m sure is dumb. But these trailers have standard grease fittings on the hubs right?
I assume you pop off a cap and it’s right there? It prob needs a top up.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:35 AM   #93

I saw in another thread someone added cup holders at the couch. I found some fold down black ones on Amazon. Anything better anyone has found? Just checking before I order.

Also. On the drivers side there’s a flood light. There’s a switch inside on the control panel named ODS flood. Is that the switch? If so the bulb is burned out but it was an LED in there.
There is also a little switch inside where the water hooks up and the blue flip lever is. It’s labeled light and is a small up down rocker switch. Anyone know what that does? Is that outside flood dual switched? Maybe it didn’t work cause that outside switch was off. But I’ve tossed the bulb now.

Found a small water leak under the bathroom sink in one of the pex crimp connections. My plan for mid week this week is to cut all those crimp fittings out and replace with 6 shark bites (4 Tees and 2 elbows). Nothing major. It was dripping out onto the tire. I think it’s been slowly leaking for a while but don’t see any major damage. Just a little loose Luan at the underbelly area that’s got some rot. Overall I think structure is solid and I can just fix the leak. I’m gonna try to remove 7 screws and take the bathroom vanity loose so I can access those fittings more easily as they are fairly tight down in the foam floor.

Also last note. I thought I had read the 16 model had a plywood floor. From first glance it feels like it’s all foam and a thin layer on luan on top like some ultra lights are. Hopefully that’s not true cause everything else in this camper seems more solidly built than many others.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:37 AM   #94

Quote:
I’m gonna try to check out this filter location some time this week. Busy with work right now.

A separate note that I’m sure is dumb. But these trailers have standard grease fittings on the hubs right?
I assume you pop off a cap and it’s right there? It prob needs a top up.
Oh and I did get the fittings greased. That little flat center cap does pop right off and there’s a zerk in there. Rolled the adjacent wheel up on 3 x 2x4s and got the wheel off the ground and rotated and pumped in some fresh grease.

Towed home yestersay at 65 mph for 165 miles and when I got here. Rims near the hubs were 97-99 on all 4. And the brake drum was 102 on 3 and 105 on the other. So seems like the bearings are all running well.
Old 04-18-2022, 12:18 PM   #95
MCTroy

Rhizzlebop - you can smack your forehead now. ODS means opposite door side, or the hook up side. There is a nice flood light on that side to help with night time hook ups.
Our 2015, built in Sept 2014, has plywood floors. We just laid new flooring so we got a good look at what was under the old flooring and carpet. All good. The one soft spot that was a concern was just a piece of plywood that is loose. No water damage.
Good luck on your plumbing project. What size shark bites are you using?
Old 04-18-2022, 01:07 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Rhizzlebop - you can smack your forehead now. ODS means opposite door side, or the hook up side. There is a nice flood light on that side to help with night time hook ups.
Our 2015, built in Sept 2014, has plywood floors. We just laid new flooring so we got a good look at what was under the old flooring and carpet. All good. The one soft spot that was a concern was just a piece of plywood that is loose. No water damage.
Good luck on your plumbing project. What size shark bites are you using?
Well I may be due for a forehead smack but yea. I googled ods and saw it said opposite door side. I turned it on. But that flood light did not work.

What I was saying in my post is yesterday during breakdown I saw a tiny little switch inside the square door where water hooks up and it’s labeled light. I don’t see any other light it would operate. So I began to wonder if the flood is double switched or something and maybe if that small switch inside that square door is off it might not allow the main ODS switch to turn the light on. New flood bulb arrived today so I’ll go out one in and see.

I also found the stupid water filter wrench in another cabinet. So does that thing just twist counter clockwise and disengage?

For those who bypassed what did you use?

Last question Regaridng shark bites. This all looks like 1/2 pex so I bought 1/2 shark bites. 4x Tee and 2x 90 elbow and will change that area do no more leak.

On your floor it was all thickish like 3/8 or 1/2 plywood? Was it white foam underneath that? I’m seeing the foam under the bathroom vanity where the floor surface is cut out where the plumbing runs under the floor inside the foam area and branches up to the sink and at that point I’m not seeing a thick floor plywood layer.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:11 PM   #97
MCTroy

We did not take the plywood up. Since it wasn't soft from a water leak we left well enough alone. The plywood was at least 3/8 inch but I think it was more like 1/2 inch just from the little edge we could sew.
Sorry I am not more help!
We are taking out our interior water filter soon. I plan to use the shark bites too. That white wrench is a joke! Every Spring that filter leaks when we dewinterize. I am over it!
Old 04-18-2022, 03:56 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
We did not take the plywood up. Since it wasn't soft from a water leak we left well enough alone. The plywood was at least 3/8 inch but I think it was more like 1/2 inch just from the little edge we could sew.
Sorry I am not more help!
We are taking out our interior water filter soon. I plan to use the shark bites too. That white wrench is a joke! Every Spring that filter leaks when we dewinterize. I am over it!
Not a problem. I appreciate the commentary.

As for removing the water filter , I don’t think you can use shark bites for that.

Mine at least is literally white water hose that goes up to the sides of the filter with a metal band clamp on each side.

No shark bites for that. It’s not plumbed in like with pex or anything normal.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:19 PM   #99

Just thought I’d post another update. We had an awesome two week camp l. Did a week at Janes island in Charleston sc and a week down in Jacksonville. The jammer towed great for the entire nearly 700 miles we pulled it. The F150 ecoboost towed the 34 ft monster with ease. Never a sway or bobble at 65 mph.

No other issues with the camper after fixing the water leak under the bathroom counter at the floor back in April.

We head out tomorrow for another week adventure.

Couldn’t be happier eith the layout size and how well we tow it.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:45 PM   #100
MCTroy

Quote:
Just thought I’d post another update. We had an awesome two week camp l. Did a week at Janes island in Charleston sc and a week down in Jacksonville. The jammer towed great for the entire nearly 700 miles we pulled it. The F150 ecoboost towed the 34 ft monster with ease. Never a sway or bobble at 65 mph.

No other issues with the camper after fixing the water leak under the bathroom counter at the floor back in April.

We head out tomorrow for another week adventure.

Couldn’t be happier eith the layout size and how well we tow it.

Glad to hear your camping trip went well. Here's to many more miles ahead.

Congrats!

Tags
windjammer