Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2019, 02:47 AM   #21

I am curious to see how this would work out if you try to make it work as I have investigated through others thus far. I look at it from a financial and logistics standpoint and so far I cannot justify the cost because logistics with an RV make it easy to get power to run the AC via AC. During the peak of summer I just go to a campground with power.

I understand the cooling and gas concerns. I have a dual fuel champion inverter and run it off propane at night. I get 14+hrs running the AC off one refill tank from walmart (15lbs). The 30lb tanks on the trailer do better but cannot be swapped easily. With the AC running at the rear by the power connector I don't hear the generator over the AC fan.

This solves the heat problem, the refuel problem, weight and noise concerns for $1150 at 120lbs with the tank and gas compared to what you are considering doing.

You could also buy two honda generators and a few nurse tanks to extend their run time for about $2500.

The battle borns 6 for $6000 solar 6 panels for $800 and wind $? setup does not seem cost effective for camping. You would also need an easystart for $350ish which you may need with the generator anyway.

Look up the wens...they did it in an RV and a boat but know the limitations and will give you a good idea of cost to do it and they only get 4-5hrs of running the AC.
https://youtu.be/yjK1Gi_u6ss

I will tell you that kansas while not as hot as texas gets up there. I tent camp for 10days every summer using one of these cooling pads to sleep. It works dropping temp 15-20 degrees from ambient temps at night.
Mattress Cooler "Classic" Chilled Water Sleep Cooling System Large 55" x 63" Mattress Topper Box Set (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KPLB2FP..._6nl6Db89J59WA

Best of luck and let us know what you end up building. Be sure to post if you get something working.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mileskeller2512 View Post
Two run 24 hours a day how many amp hours would I need
Two years ago I did the calculation, item by item, on how many Kwh we use per day when camping.
I reached the conclusion that for our family of 5 and using a single 15K btu AC we need 9Kwh of energy per day.
You will also have to address that, according to my calculations, at a certain point you will have to be able to supply a sustained 2.7Kwh of energy....

That is considering we are camping in an environment that the AC will be on 16 hours a day and w/o considering the loss on inverter....

AC and water heater alone will eat 3KWh per day...

That is the reason I love my $700 , 3100W Champion generator, given, I can't run the AC, water heater and Microwave at the same time but is extremelly practical and cost effective ... and... I'm producing plant food - CO2.

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #23

Check out " nomadic fanatic " on you tube. He has a great setup on his class a mh.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, solar