Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #1

Smile Making the plunge....

Finally decided to order the Rockwood 8285WS after looking at too many potential units! A recent comment as to the lack of plywood flooring is a little troubling to us. So....has this been a major issue with any of this forums membership. I would really appreciate any response to this inquiry.

Having spent months looking at light weight fifth wheels I consider this unit tops on our list.

Thank you very much for your input.
ronalda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Site Team

to the forums and congrats on your Rockwood 8285WS! I can't answer your question but wanted to say hello.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:09 AM   #3

We've been happy with ours so far. Almost 2 years and 15,000 miles. No problem with the floors yet. However, if I keep eating smores it may become a problem.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome to the forum !
Although we own a pslomino sabre no issues with our floor but it's also not an ultra light.
Good luck with your decision.
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Congrats on your order!

ronalda, congratulations on your decision of the 8285WS. We own a 2011
unit and are quite happy with our Rockwood. The floors are on 16" centers, bonded plywood on both sides of the Styrofoam insulation. You will be happy with the unit. I just returned from the rally in Goshen, IN
with a tour of the factory to see the Rockwood fifth wheel units being built. I was impressed with the craftsmanship of the people building the Rockwoods. A lot of improvements have been made since I purchased my 8285WS in 2011. Such as a raised roof instead of flat to get larger A/C ducts in the roof, rimless windows. A lot of changes have been made between 2011 and 2013's. Believe me you will not be sorry for your decision.

Keep a look out for the announcement of the next rally in Goshen, sign up for it. What a fantastic Rally, I have been to quite a few, this is the DADDY of them all!!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Camper Less Camping

We were dead set on a Flagstaff fifth wheel ultralight but I was too concerned with the floor construction on these units.
After much exploration of how the floors are constructed of, we opted for a heavier unit with actual wood floor construction.

With us having two small kids that will grow up to big kids, didn't want to be concerned with all the foot traffic our unit would be exposed to. Our past camper was wood floor construction and we had zero issues or concerns with it so it was easy for us to pass up the lightweight floor models.

As long as you know your limitations with whatever unit you purchase, go with it and have fun camping!

Old 08-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #7

Congratulations on your decision...exciting times ahead! We can't wait till ours is built and we can resume our RV'ing life.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #8

We have a similar unit, a Flagstaff 8528 CKSS, and we do now have a squeak in the floor by the kitchen cabinets. The floor is definitely flexing, and I think the squeak is from the cabinet-to-floor screws pulling out of the thin "plywood" under the vinyl flooring. There just isn't much there for the screws to grab on to.
But they are very nice units, and if you don't jump around too much, you should be fine!
The spot I worry most about is the landing, coming down from the bedroom, as there is a lot of impact force when you step down from the stairs. And we also don't wear shoes in our camper, as that just increases the impact force on that thin layer of "plywood".

Just one question, did you look at the 8289WS? I just love that floorplan, and would have bought that one if it had been available two years ago. The room inside is simply amazing for a 28 foot camper. And the configuation of where the recliners are in respect to where they put the television is far superior to anything else I have seen. Far too often you are either too far away from the tv, or one chair is right beside it.

But we really like our CKSS, and overall can't complain too much, as we have had no serious problems with it, and it pulls very well. And we always get people oohing and aahing over the interior. We have the cherry cabinets, and it is quite stunning. And ours has a very open bedroom plan, which none of the new ones do. So maybe I wouldn't trade ours for a 8289.......
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote