Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #1

Mattresses in Rockwood Ultralites

We have ordered a 2010 Rockwood Ultralite 2604ss and I was just wondering how the quality of the mattresses are that they put in them. Years ago we had a travel trailer and the mattress was not very comfortable and we replaced it. Im hoping that they are putting better ones in trailers now.
I read where someone posted that they saw Serta mattresses in Rockwoods but I wonder if that is only in the Signature Ultralites.

Thanks
tchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #2

We have an 8281SS ultralite 5ver with heated mattress. Compared to my previous 1987 pop-up bunk ends the Rockwood mattress is awesome, but my wife and I still found it to be somewhat uncomfortable. We got tired of waking up with aches in our backs after our 3rd trip out. Rather then spend a lot upgrading the matress, we opted for a nice quality memory foam mattress topper (3 inches thick). Wow! This made all the difference and worth every penny in overall comfort. Plus, it'll only set you back $100-$200. Hope this helps.

'07 Rockwood 8281SS 5th Wheel
'07 Silverado 2500HD LMM Duramax Diesel / Allison 1000 CC 2LT S/B
Reese 15K 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Kwik-Slide
E.S.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #3

We have a piece of memory foam that we used in our pop-up. We will probably use that and see if it works before spending money on a new mattress. We are hoping that the mattress will be comfortable because we don't want to carry the extra weight of the memory foam. Amazing how heavy those things are!

Thanks alot.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #4

E.S.P.,

Can you still use the heat on the mattress if you put memory foam over it?
Old 09-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #5

we also had to put the foam mattress pad on ours and we are able to use the heat. I dont know if it limits the amount you actually feel but we have no complaints about it..We only have to use ours in the very early spring and actually turned it on last weekend. The mattress is a bit uncomfortable without any padding...
blue eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #6

We just purchased 3" memory foam, and WOW! what a big difference! We love it, and you can get them on e bay! We paid 75.00, shipped! Came in 2 days, too! Very happy with it, and I highly recommend it. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #7

Since we have an '04 model Flagstaff (twin of the Rockwood) I am not sure what improvements may have been made in the mattress'
but we have the "premium" on in ours. We got the 3" memory foam from one of the local department stores and it made a world of difference. We have a heated mattress but have not used that feature but I would imagine that you would feel somewhat less heat through the foam.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:34 PM   #8

I vote for the memory foam also and the heater works great you just dont feel it right away but the longer you lay there the warmer it get .we use ours for the first time last weekend really is nice didnt have to turn on the furnace at all
Old 09-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #9

Thank alot everyone for the comments. Looks like we will be using memory foam. Glad to know we can still use the heated mattresses. Can't wait for our trailer to come in. It's been 4 weeks today since we ordered it. Hopefully only a few more weeks to go.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchart View Post
E.S.P.,

Can you still use the heat on the mattress if you put memory foam over it?
Sorry for the delayed response, but I agree with everyone's comments regarding the heat. Though we have not used the heat option yet ourselves, I would think that you could still use it. No warnings of any kind stated on the memory foam. Probably just a little less heat felt when used, but the foam will also keep you a bit warmer just by itself.

'07 Rockwood 8281SS 5th Wheel
'07 Silverado 2500HD LMM Duramax Diesel / Allison 1000 CC 2LT S/B
Reese 15K 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Kwik-Slide
E.S.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
Arn
Arn

I can't see me actually sleeping with the mattress on. I think I'll use mine on humid nights to get the dampness out of the bedding. If DW thinks I'm going to bed with the heat on, I guess I'll be spending a lot of nights on the sofa air bed...
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchart View Post
We have ordered a 2010 Rockwood Ultralite 2604ss and I was just wondering how the quality of the mattresses are that they put in them. Years ago we had a travel trailer and the mattress was not very comfortable and we replaced it. Im hoping that they are putting better ones in trailers now.
I read where someone posted that they saw Serta mattresses in Rockwoods but I wonder if that is only in the Signature Ultralites.

Thanks
To answer your question at this time with out calling a dealer and from what I have read on the Forest River (Rockwood) web site the Serta mattress will be standard on units that come with a Queen or King bed, as far as other Forest River models, I am not sure.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #13

Thanks,
That would be nice. I hope ours comes with a Serta.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn View Post
I can't see me actually sleeping with the mattress on. I think I'll use mine on humid nights to get the dampness out of the bedding. If DW thinks I'm going to bed with the heat on, I guess I'll be spending a lot of nights on the sofa air bed...
We have used the heat each time we have camped in cooler weather. It's nice to turn the heat on about an hour before bedtime. We usually only run the dial about 2 - 3. We put a nice quilted mattress cover on there with a cheap foam pad from Target, it sleeps great and doesn't interfere with the heat.

The control dial light, however, is bright enough to read by. Sometimes I stuff the control between the mattress and the nightstand. Sometimes I throw a hand towel over it. But i always have to do something about that overly bright light!!

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
Bud

We have used the memory foam topper on ours for 2 years and we use the heater often in that time frame as prefer not to have the unit too "hot" but like a cosy bed. Our topper is only 2 inches but the heater works great. Just remember if your unit is COLD the memory foam is hard like a board so throw back the covers and turn up the heat before you want to hit the bed the first night heading south! After it is warmed up it gets comfy for sure. I thought when the heater was there when we bought the unit that we would never use it but I LOVE THE HEATER and mymemory foam makes the mattress feel a lot better. Go for it, in Canada, Canadian Tire used to have the toppers on sale and those ones have a cover on them and for the cold spring and fall nites get your fleece sheets too!
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #16

Thanks, we will do that.
With all the talk about the cool fall nights Im really anxious to pick up the trailer and start camping. We sold our popup in August and i miss camping.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #17

Ditto here, foam topper tops up the comfort level. And we use the heated bed, almost every night, it warms us up plenty through the foam.
Fort Kent Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #18

The standard rockwood mattress in most cases is fine just add a nice matress pad to it. If you do long term camping then they offer a plush serta mattress as an option.
rockwood mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #19

I have spent 4 nights in the rockwood since picking it up last month. The first 2 nights I did not use the bed heat, the control was missing. Without the bed heat I could feel the cold from the pass through storage. The last 2 nights with the bed heat on I did not feel the cold from the pass through. I don't really care for electric blankets but I do like the heated bed. I also sleep very well without any mattress pad.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #20
Seasoned Campers

We have the Serta in our 2010 8317SS

We just bought ours and it had the upgrade to the serta instead of the heated mattress. We are picky about our sleep and so far have found the serta to be very comfortable. We have rented many campers in our time and always had to bring foam toppers. We have since decided to cut the toppers up for the rear bunks which appear to be nothing more than thin foam. We like the Serta.

2010 Rockwood Sig Ultra-lite 8317SS RKSS & Reese cam style equalizer and sway hitch set up.
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, ultralite