Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #1
Grammar Pedant

Micro Lite Options: 13.5 vs 15 A/C, Slide Topper, SS appliances

I'm in research mode on the Rockwood 2504S (Flagstaff 25BHS) -- slide-out, bunkhouse, murphy bed. It appears that there are about 16 options. Some of these are common: oyster color, power jack, power awning, gas oven, rear ladder.

I have a question on 3 of these options, though:

1. A/C. The trailers have ducted A/C, which seems brilliant to me. Maybe I'm overestimating this, but it seems really nice. 13.5K BTU is standard and 15K BTU is a $181/$125 option (MSRP/Invoice).

I only use A/C about 2 times per year, so maybe this is a silly question for me to ask. But, has anyone ever done side-by-side comparisons ... or owned both? Just curious if the 11% difference is worth anything. Thanks.

2. Slide Topper. What research I see suggests that there is some utility here -- you don't want debris on the roof of the slide-out when you pull it back in. Yet, I see the factory slide topper on about 10% of the advertised units (via RVT, RVTrader, RVUSA), making it a pretty rare factory option. The cost is $290/$200. Going with a decent aftermarket topper is about the same ... somewhere north of $180 after all brackets and such.

So, why are these so uncommon? Have I completely overestimated the importance of a slide topper?

3. Stainless Steel Appliances. This $290/$200 option is something that I have never seen. Not once. I've even seen the "stand alone table/chairs" option that replaces the U-Dinette. With the amazing craze that is SS appliances in the housing market, why aren't these ever seen in the trailers? Why is this the rarest option of them all?

Just curious.

Thanks for the comments and answers to these questions.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
I'm in research mode on the Rockwood 2504S (Flagstaff 25BHS) -- slide-out, bunkhouse, murphy bed. It appears that there are about 16 options. Some of these are common: oyster color, power jack, power awning, gas oven, rear ladder.

I have a question on 3 of these options, though:

1. A/C. The trailers have ducted A/C, which seems brilliant to me. Maybe I'm overestimating this, but it seems really nice. 13.5K BTU is standard and 15K BTU is a $181/$125 option (MSRP/Invoice).

I only use A/C about 2 times per year, so maybe this is a silly question for me to ask. But, has anyone ever done side-by-side comparisons ... or owned both? Just curious if the 11% difference is worth anything. Thanks.

2. Slide Topper. What research I see suggests that there is some utility here -- you don't want debris on the roof of the slide-out when you pull it back in. Yet, I see the factory slide topper on about 10% of the advertised units (via RVT, RVTrader, RVUSA), making it a pretty rare factory option. The cost is $290/$200. Going with a decent aftermarket topper is about the same ... somewhere north of $180 after all brackets and such.

So, why are these so uncommon? Have I completely overestimated the importance of a slide topper?

3. Stainless Steel Appliances. This $290/$200 option is something that I have never seen. Not once. I've even seen the "stand alone table/chairs" option that replaces the U-Dinette. With the amazing craze that is SS appliances in the housing market, why aren't these ever seen in the trailers? Why is this the rarest option of them all?

Just curious.

Thanks for the comments and answers to these questions.
If you don't camp in really hot areas, I think you would be fine with the standard air. If you spend a lot of time down south, then it may be worth the upgrade.

We ordered a slide topper with our Roo. Husband took it out on our maiden voyage. Oh well. Now we generally bring a leaf blower to quickly clean off the slide before retracting. If this isn't a job you look forward to, I'd say get it. Adding it later will cost you a heck of a lot more.

Not a fan of SS (finger prints) so I would never pay more.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #3

We have a 2504 without the slide and the 13.5 does great. The thermostat should be a digital to take care of the temperature swings though. Not sure of temp loss from slide.
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #4

1. Spring for the 15K AC unit. If you ever need the extra cooling power it'll be there.
2. Slide toppers, some people love them, others not. We're on our 4th camper and never had them and don't miss them.
3. SS appliances look nice but SS doesn't do a thing for the functionality of the appliance. I'd skip it.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #5

We have a 2504s. No slide topper 13.5 AC. At 98 degrees at full sun it keeps us cool. If I were going to buy one of the three options I'd get the 15k AC. We haven't needed it so far and I don't think we will even when we get out west. We don't have the gas oven and don't miss it, would rather have the storage. Others really want an oven. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #6

Slide Toppers

I camp in the forests a lot. Used to have to climb up and clean the needles off the slide out after retracting it. Sometimes insects would be transported inside. Then it snowed! Ice formed on the slide out roof and when I tried to retract it I couldn't. Being a travel trailer, I carried no ladder. If I hadn't been with a friend in a motor home who carried one, I would have been stuck till the ice melted. No More! My new trailer (Wildwood) came with one. I would have bought one if it hadn't.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #7

Here I was always told that the Rockwood and flagstaff micro lites were identical. My rig is the flagstaff Micro lite and every one of the options that you spoke of except the 15k AC were standard items on mine. As for the 15k AC for the little extra money I would upgrade to it as you never know where your future will take you. I'm in Florida so that was a natural upgrade due to the heat here. Also I love the cover over the slide. Two things, it keep debris out and also at times offers some shade on the roof of the slide to help in cooling the rig.
PupScrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #8

Good thread, we are in the process of looking at a Mini light and debating options.

Oven is a hard one. We use ours now, but barely. Is barely a reason enough to have one. Extra space is nice, and another thing to not break.

But then I dont use the oven even in my own house.

Air conditioner, depends on where you live and/or camp. We camp spring-fall and from Canada. Yes we do get hot days, but Im ok with just being cool, I dont need the trailer to be like a meat locker. Depends on the additional cost really, Im sure the 13K one would be good enough, all on area of location

Stainless Steel, why bother. Fingerprints and an unnneeded cost. Its an RV, not a house

Slide topper, we have never had one, but would be handy I guess. Have had slides for 10 years now without one, and never had a problem yet
spidey1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:59 PM   #9

Our first trip with our Surveyor 251 RKS was to Parker, AZ. It was 111 degrees when we arrived. The 13.5 did the job although I did close the ducts in the back of the trailer so we were getting all the cold air in the bedroom. I was actually pulling covers up by morning. No slide topper, I carry a small step ladder and a push broom. SS appliances were standard on ours. I like them, don't know if I would pay extra.
Happydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #10

If you ever visit the deep south such as Southwest Louisiana or along the coast of Texas during the hot humid summer months, you will find
just one AC unit is not enough. Our 32 ft. fiver came with one 15K unit and this spring we added a second one. One is ducted and the other isn't , but both running does keep it cool.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #11

We have 2502KS. Love the 15 a/c. Would skip the SS appliances. This is our third Forest River TT. First one no slideout cover, always wanted to add one. Second one we got slideout cover, HATED it!!! Always worried about it. Blows terribly in the wind. Tore at one end first time on the beach camping in windy weather. Molds! Rolls up with nature's treats in it.
Third (2502KS) did not get one when we ordered new Mini. Not sorry we don't have one. Like having a oven. Like having second battery. Like having both fans covered. ENJOY whatever you choose!
CYAH OUT THERE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMMILLER55 View Post
We have 2502KS. Love the 15 a/c. Would skip the SS appliances. This is our third Forest River TT. First one no slideout cover, always wanted to add one. Second one we got slideout cover, HATED it!!! Always worried about it. Blows terribly in the wind. Tore at one end first time on the beach camping in windy weather. Molds! Rolls up with nature's treats in it.
Third (2502KS) did not get one when we ordered new Mini. Not sorry we don't have one. Like having a oven. Like having second battery. Like having both fans covered. ENJOY whatever you choose!
Good points on the slideout cover, another thing to maintain and break. What you said will make sure I stick to not having one. Unless of course its already on it.

Both fans or even vents covered is awesome. Recently added a Max Air cover this summer and was nice to not worry about rain when we were away for the day, etc.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #13

Options on our 2509S

We bought a new 2509S this year and we had the following options:
1. Power awning - worth it!
2. Oven - we love baked potatoes on a cold October day. Can be used to stove pans and bread if needed.
3. TV/Stereo - great for those nights after a long day
4. Wood plank flooring - it makes such a difference in the appearance and shouts QUALITY
5. Maple cabinet fronts - looks really good and isn't going to fall apart
6. 13,500 BTU A/C - not used often due to mountain camping
7. Raised fridge panels - again looks nice
8. Oyster color - looks better than white
9. Holding tank heaters - only needed them once but will probably be used on the drive home from hunting in the fall.
10. Maxxair vent cover and fan - a must to allow venting in the rain and to leave open while travelling
11. Power tongue jack - never had one before but sure like this one.
12. Rear ladder - a must to clean/inspect the roof

We are adding a slide out awning as this dealer doesn't sell any RVs with them but having brought some pinecones into the trailer the first trip and a potential fall snow trip we felt we needed it.

Getting the trailer is just the first step. You will need a weight distributing hitch, hoses, pots and pans, chemicals and cleaners, dish drainer, sewer adaptors, power adaptors, power protection, solar panels, water pressure regulator, water hose right angle adaptor, rugs, ice cube trays, shelf liner, Lego blocks, X-Chocks, reflective window insulation, water pressure accumulator, ....

Well you get the idea. Enjoy the new purchase - we sure do. Spent 3 days this week at the lake.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
We love our 2504s. A couple notes: I chose the 13.5k on the A/C because I wanted to make sure a generator could handle it ok for boondocking. Personal choice I guess. Also, if I did it again I would reinforce the fresh water tank holders right after I took it off the lot, and I would probably make sure I was getting the plywood floor instead of the luan/foam composite floor. Also, I had them weld a trailer hitch onto the frame itself for a hitch tray or a small trailer on the back. And I had them upgrade to a digital thermostat.

Other than those few things, we've loved it! Great trailer.
captaindomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:27 PM   #15

Would definitely like a digital thermostat!! Forgot about that
CYAH OUT THERE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #16
Grammar Pedant

Thanks for the replies. It's always good to read through people's experiences and perspectives.

Just for clarity, I don't think I'd get the ss appliances, either. I mainly just found it odd that it's an option that I literally haven't seen a single time in any of the new Rockwood or Flagstaff ads. Was sort of wondering if there was some reason that an otherwise very popular category (ss appliances) wasn't really seen. Sounds like it's simply not appreciated in the RV world the same as in the house world. Anyway, more of a nuanced curiosity.

I think for slide-out topper, I'll either get one factory or install an aftermarket one. I camp in a lot of pine forests where wind isn't a big problem, but I'd like to keep the slide roof clean. But, as mentioned, there is no perfect device. They wear, need to be cleaned, can break, and add complexity.

For A/C, I think I'd stick with 13.5K. Upgrading is so cheap, that it's hard not to ... especially for resale value. However, I rarely use A/C and it would be nice to use a generator (as mentioned above). I'm in CO and we camp at elevation: 7000 - 9500' on a typical trip. That really saps the power and even larger 3400W/3100W generators will bog down into the mid-to-low 2000s for actual output. Based on frequency, the dry heat I have to combat (90-95 in the worst conditions), and the genny/altitude consideration, 13.5 probably makes a lot more sense.

And, since other brought up other options, I'll hijack my own thread.

There are a few options that are must-haves for me and I doubt I'd buy a trailer without them: Oyster Exterior (yep, just cosmetic, but they look too good), Power Awning, Power Tongue Jack, Rear Ladder. 90% of every trailer I've seen has those options. Occasionally, I see hand-crank jack and no ladder. I'd walk from those.

There are a few that I have a strong preference for.
  1. Slide Topper, which I've covered above.
  2. Wood look floor looks very sharp to me. I'd love to have that option and it seems quite common.
  3. Extra Maxxair fan above the queen bed sounds like a great idea. I believe these run off 12V batter, so could keep good airflow when camping without power. This is particularly true since most of these windows only open a little bit on an angle -- no way to fully open the trailer for good airflow.

I think I have only seen one or two trailers with this option and, at $305/$210, is the second most expensive option. Pretty much the only way to get this would be a special order, due to its rarity in the ads I've seen.
  4. Gas Oven. It may end up being the option I never use, but it seems like a cool option to have. I think it also adds to the resale value.

I know that when I bought my popup, a water heater was a must-have. I was certain that having hot water would be a game changer. In 6 years, we used it twice ... during the first year ... and then never used our water system again. So, yeah, it happens. It's not hard for me to see that being the oven this time around.

However, nearly every trailer has it, so you'd almost have to special order to get an RV without the oven.
Then there are a few options that I really don't care about or undecided:
  • 15K A/C, covered above.
  • Raised panel fridge. Nearly every RV has them and it looks nice. So, I'd probably opt for these simply for resale value. But, I wouldn't walk away from an RV without them.
  • Thermopane Windows. This is the most expensive option, by far, at $653/$450. I don't believe I've ever seen an RV list this as an option. I don't camp in extreme weather, so I'd have no use.
  • Heated holding tanks. Common to see these in CO, but I'd not have much use for them. I don't camp when the weather is cold enough to freeze my tanks and that's not likely to change.
  • Maple Cabinetry. Looks marginally better than the Driftwood to me, but not a big difference. Pretty common on trailers, though.
  • SS appliances, covered above.
  • Bike Rack Ladder Attachment. No thanks.

I've read about the weak water tank supports on these. Some pretty good solutions people have come up with using angle iron and such. However, I think that in 2016 or 2017, FR started sealing the bottom of the trailer. While this has some advantages, I think it might also prevent access to the water tank supports. I'll have to look into this a bit more ... though I doubt I ever take more than ~20 gallons of water with me.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:14 AM   #17

Always get the larger A/C. You can always turn the A/C down if it is too cold BUT if the A/C can't cope with the heat there's not much you can do. Get the larger A/C. Get the slide toppers too. They not only protect and keep debris out they will increase the resale value.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Grandpa View Post
We bought a new 2509S this year and we had the following options:
1. Power awning - worth it!
2. Oven - we love baked potatoes on a cold October day. Can be used to stove pans and bread if needed.
3. TV/Stereo - great for those nights after a long day
4. Wood plank flooring - it makes such a difference in the appearance and shouts QUALITY
5. Maple cabinet fronts - looks really good and isn't going to fall apart
6. 13,500 BTU A/C - not used often due to mountain camping
7. Raised fridge panels - again looks nice
8. Oyster color - looks better than white
9. Holding tank heaters - only needed them once but will probably be used on the drive home from hunting in the fall.
10. Maxxair vent cover and fan - a must to allow venting in the rain and to leave open while travelling
11. Power tongue jack - never had one before but sure like this one.
12. Rear ladder - a must to clean/inspect the roof

We are adding a slide out awning as this dealer doesn't sell any RVs with them but having brought some pinecones into the trailer the first trip and a potential fall snow trip we felt we needed it.

Getting the trailer is just the first step. You will need a weight distributing hitch, hoses, pots and pans, chemicals and cleaners, dish drainer, sewer adaptors, power adaptors, power protection, solar panels, water pressure regulator, water hose right angle adaptor, rugs, ice cube trays, shelf liner, Lego blocks, X-Chocks, reflective window insulation, water pressure accumulator, ....

Well you get the idea. Enjoy the new purchase - we sure do. Spent 3 days this week at the lake.
Wow. An oven is an option?!? And the stereo is an option? And a ladder?!? I guess I'm not familiar with this model; will have to check it out.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #19
New TT Owner

We're on out first Rockwood Mini Lite 2104S. Ours came with the upgraded 15k air conditioner and the slide topper. I couldn't imagine not having either, especially the slide topper. We keep our slide in when not using the TT to prevent the sun from deteriorating. We camp in a campground with trees and it has rained on 5 of our 6 trips this year. Can't imagine having to clean up that mess everytime before we leave.

We love the 15k air conditioner because it cools down quickly. Think resale value should you ever decide to sell. You never know where that person will live. Also your travels could take you to hot weather and you would be thankful for it.

As for SS appliances, I'd put my money on the topper or AC.
Lovestogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMMILLER55 View Post
Would definitely like a digital thermostat!! Forgot about that
I saw in a video that they use the exact Coleman Mach thermostat we have in our current trailer. Had to replace it because a tech at the RV shop wired two wires back together wrong and fried it (and they wont take responsibility for it - think Ill ever shop there again) Cost was $175 just for the thermostat.

Ad the word RV to anything the cost goes up. There are tons of mod videos out there where for digital thermostats, and Im surprised in these new trailers they are even using the old analog slide type. They are hard to get exact temps.

Tags
lite, slide