Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #1

Mini Lite 2506s - Potential purchase

Brand new member here, and thought the best place to get real reviews and advice are people that actually use the trailers.

My wife and I are downsizing trailers, due to kids getting older and as well not liking the layout of our current trailer.

We accidentally found the model 2506s and love the layout. The rear bed idea is something we have never seen, and quite like the concept of it being separate. We have an outside sink and stove now and wouldnt be without it, and this model is a way better setup than out current one. Plus many things we have now and wont do without (power awning, outside speakers, black tank flush)

Many models with the walk around queen are at the front and with the separating wall/media centre. This is a new concept I never even thought of

Anyway to the point, we haven't seen one in person yet, but the options, layout, etc have us very interested. We have owned to Rockwoods in the past, a tent trailer and up to 5 years ago a 21 foot with a rear bed slide.

So what are the pluses and minus to this model. We arent in a rush to buy and live in Canada. So thought to do some research here first.

Here is a link just to clarify the model

Rockwood Mini Lite Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

Thank you
spidey1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #2

Positives - too many to mention. We have a 2018 2506s and we LOVE IT. It's jam packed with features, especially at this price-point. Outdoor kitchen is to die for!!!

Negatives - nothing I can think of. If you are OK with the size and floor plan, then I've yet to see any drawbacks.

FWIW, I'm much happier towing it now that I've purchased a second friction anti-sway bar. I have a WD Hitch, and friction bars on both street and curb side. My F150 tows it like it's not even there.

Good luck with your decision.
csyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by csyrell View Post
Positives - too many to mention. We have a 2018 2506s and we LOVE IT. It's jam packed with features, especially at this price-point. Outdoor kitchen is to die for!!!

Negatives - nothing I can think of. If you are OK with the size and floor plan, then I've yet to see any drawbacks.

FWIW, I'm much happier towing it now that I've purchased a second friction anti-sway bar. I have a WD Hitch, and friction bars on both street and curb side. My F150 tows it like it's not even there.

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for the reply, this will be 5th trailer purchase, and have been looking off and on the last 2 years for a new floor plan, since what we have doesnt work for us anymore.

Plus the towing aspect as well, I have an Avalanche and what I tow is close to the max it can handle, and sway is a problem in bad winds, making us not travel as far anymore.

This trailer would be 3 feet shorter and 1000 lbs lighter dry, which would put it into the perfect towing capacity for my truck

We have a current out door kitchen, and that is something we for sure want again, and this one is set up way better than what we have, more useful.

Really, when I saw the site and floor plan, I was impressed. After I watched a half hour video of all the features, it blew me away how well the space is used. From the kitchen with all the counter space and storage, to the rear east to west bed. While the bathroom is small, its useful especially the shower. We dont need a tub anymore, that ship sailed many years ago.

They use the storage smart to and use up dead space well
- the rear slide out bin
- under bed storage
- the outside storage on the slide, way easier to get to stuff instead of going through the couch top like most manufactures do (and what we need to do)
- under couch storage, love the small pull out drawers. We currently have that, but its a door, then a pull out bin. But cant pull it out when the slide is in since they are too long
- antifreeze bypass, finally a trailer that has this from factory, and so easy to access. All my stuff like that is under a jack knife sofa I need to remove to get to.
- Crazy kitchen storage
- Front storage that allows you access to inside as well.

Some have said that the wide open space when you walk in is dead space, but to use, we like it. Right now, if more than one person is by the front door, due to layout, its almost impossible to move. We have two doors, and the rear is the same.

We just really like the private bedroom, someone can be in the front making breakfast, or watching tv, and its just out of the way, unlike the ones that have the bed at the front with the wall/media centre right there.

We found a Flagstaff model as well thats the exact same layout, and since they are both made my Forest River, not sure what the difference is between the two beside name and graphics
Old 08-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1972 View Post
We found a Flagstaff model as well thats the exact same layout, and since they are both made my Forest River, not sure what the difference is between the two beside name and graphics
Rockwood and Flagstaff are twin brands made on the same assembly line. Only difference between Rockwood and Flagstaff are the outside graphics and interior decor.
That goes for their 5th wheels, TTs, Hybrids, A-frames and Popups.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Rockwood and Flagstaff are twin brands made on the same assembly line. Only difference between Rockwood and Flagstaff are the outside graphics and interior decor.
That goes for their 5th wheels, TTs, Hybrids, A-frames and Popups.
Awesome, thank you. That will oepn up my options then for dealers. Located in Canada so the prices are a quite a bit higher.

Seems to be different option packages to and cant find anything local to even look at it. So far Ive seen pics and vids, and while it looks like it exactly what we need, I still need to step into it.

When the side slide is in, can you still access the bathroom easily? Ive seen trailer when the side slide is in, there is zero walk space
Old 08-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Awesome, thank you. That will oepn up my options then for dealers. Located in Canada so the prices are a quite a bit higher.

Seems to be different option packages to and cant find anything local to even look at it. So far Ive seen pics and vids, and while it looks like it exactly what we need, I still need to step into it.

When the side slide is in, can you still access the bathroom easily? Ive seen trailer when the side slide is in, there is zero walk space
No, that is one very small negative. You do need to open the slide at least half way to squeeze back to the bathroom and bedroom areas.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #7

Quote:
No, that is one very small negative. You do need to open the slide at least half way to squeeze back to the bathroom and bedroom areas.
You do, hmmm. Well as they say the only way you would get a perfect trailer is to build it yourself.

One negative so far, but the positive out weigh that. I see others have said that having only the dinette as seating as a pain, especially when using the TV. Comfort wise I dont think it would be any worse than our jacknife sofa we have now.

When we camp we dont watch a lot of tv, maybe when it rains a movie, or later at night. But I have never used the antenna in any of my trailers up to now, so I dont see that changing

Im going to get a dealership Im dealing with to send me a picture
Old 08-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #8

Quote:
You do, hmmm. Well as they say the only way you would get a perfect trailer is to build it yourself.

One negative so far, but the positive out weigh that. I see others have said that having only the dinette as seating as a pain, especially when using the TV. Comfort wise I dont think it would be any worse than our jacknife sofa we have now.

When we camp we dont watch a lot of tv, maybe when it rains a movie, or later at night. But I have never used the antenna in any of my trailers up to now, so I dont see that changing

Im going to get a dealership Im dealing with to send me a picture
Only time it's even close to an issue is when I've dumped my tank and I want to then go back and add chemicals to the toilet. No biggie at all.

As for the dinette, I'm 5'10, 240lbs, and I'm very comfortable in it. What's nice is that the table moves. I also can sit with my back against the outside wall and one leg up on the bench to comfortably watch TV. We travel with our 14 yr old daughter (this is her "bed" at night!). On rainy days, she and my DW can easily sit at the dinette and I'll bring in a folding chair to sit in the kitchen and we can all comfortably watch TV or just chill out. We have some carpet remnants from home that I'll throw on the floor to protect it from my outdoor chair. easy-peasy!!!
Old 08-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Only time it's even close to an issue is when I've dumped my tank and I want to then go back and add chemicals to the toilet. No biggie at all.

As for the dinette, I'm 5'10, 240lbs, and I'm very comfortable in it. What's nice is that the table moves. I also can sit with my back against the outside wall and one leg up on the bench to comfortably watch TV. We travel with our 14 yr old daughter (this is her "bed" at night!). On rainy days, she and my DW can easily sit at the dinette and I'll bring in a folding chair to sit in the kitchen and we can all comfortably watch TV or just chill out. We have some carpet remnants from home that I'll throw on the floor to protect it from my outdoor chair. easy-peasy!!!
Sounds like what we do now, the jack knife sofa is garbage for adult. Maybe for small child to sleep on and use. My wife brings in her high back chair now, so thats what we would continue to do now, just have more room for it, if she does it now its tough to walk around

As for the slide out, more or less was for when you do a quick road stop at a pull through, and you just want to use the bathroom quick, etc. Might not be as big a issue as the old days as we no longer have small kids.

I could see just folding the table down at night and set it up as a big day bed/ couch, if you want to be extremely lazy and leave it down.

I have read also about 2 grey tanks and people having problems dumping. Is the second gray for the outside sink then? We currently have an outside sink/stove but the sink is just a big bowl and have to manually dump it
Old 08-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Sounds like what we do now, the jack knife sofa is garbage for adult. Maybe for small child to sleep on and use. My wife brings in her high back chair now, so thats what we would continue to do now, just have more room for it, if she does it now its tough to walk around

As for the slide out, more or less was for when you do a quick road stop at a pull through, and you just want to use the bathroom quick, etc. Might not be as big a issue as the old days as we no longer have small kids.

I could see just folding the table down at night and set it up as a big day bed/ couch, if you want to be extremely lazy and leave it down.

I have read also about 2 grey tanks and people having problems dumping. Is the second gray for the outside sink then? We currently have an outside sink/stove but the sink is just a big bowl and have to manually dump it.

5 seconds of holding the slide button and you have access to the bathroom.

Yes, 2 grey tanks, but no problems dumping. Outdoor Kitchen is attached to rear Grey Tank, along with the Shower and BR Sink. Front Grey Tank is simply for the kitchen sink. If you don't use the inside kitchen, then nothing to dump. The Black Tank is at the same point as the rear Grey Tank. The Front Grey Tank is under the slide about 10 feet forward. Is it convenient, no. Is it totally inconvenient, no. I dump my Black and then rear Grey. Once they are finished, I unhook the hose and connect to the front Grey, which might take all of 30 seconds to drain. Not a big deal.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:34 PM   #11

Quote:

Yes, 2 grey tanks, but no problems dumping. Outdoor Kitchen is attached to rear Grey Tank, along with the Shower and BR Sink. Front Grey Tank is simply for the kitchen sink. If you don't use the inside kitchen, then nothing to dump. The Black Tank is at the same point as the rear Grey Tank. The Front Grey Tank is under the slide about 10 feet forward. Is it convenient, no. Is it totally inconvenient, no. I dump my Black and then rear Grey. Once they are finished, I unhook the hose and connect to the front Grey, which might take all of 30 seconds to drain. Not a big deal.
Thats true, not a big deal, and plus probably doesnt need to put it out all the way.

Thanks for the grey tank info. I had a dealer send me a picture of the piping, and when I saw the two outlets, wondered why. Never owned or saw one with two like that.

I have been rv-ing now for 15 years, so Im ok with things that are little inconvient, as long as its not a daily thing. Sewer dumping, is what it is
Old 08-10-2017, 06:56 PM   #12

Quote:

Has anyone found a way to connect the front and rear grey tank? I was wondering why this model had almost double the grey tank capacity as the other 25' rockwood mini lines. Now I know!
EricNCSU1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNCSU1204 View Post
Has anyone found a way to connect the front and rear grey tank? I was wondering why this model had almost double the grey tank capacity as the other 25' rockwood mini lines. Now I know!
Would this be so you only have one outlet to dump everything?
Old 08-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #14

To "double" gray tank capacity essentially and be able to use both gray tanks for shower, outdoor kitchen sink, bathroom sink. So you actually get to use all 60 gallons.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:06 AM   #15

We really love our 2506S also. Great having that back bedroom. We had never thought about having an outdoor kitchen before, but my husband says it's a necessity now! We did pull the drawer out of the back storage - were able to store more without it in there. Depends on what you are trying to carry.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Robi View Post
We really love our 2506S also. Great having that back bedroom. We had never thought about having an outdoor kitchen before, but my husband says it's a necessity now! We did pull the drawer out of the back storage - were able to store more without it in there. Depends on what you are trying to carry.
How do you retrieve items when they are shoved all the way back in this compartment without the sliding storage? Can you post a few pictures of your storage setup there please?
Old 08-11-2017, 09:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Robi View Post
Ive read thats what others have done, guess its all personal choice and use. Would know after a person used it "real time"

The back bedroom is what sold us on this, plus the outdoor kitchen, which we currently have, although not setup as good as this

We currently have terrible outside storage, a small cubby in the front, and a long one in the very back end (not pass through) thats not good for a lot since its not very deep.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #18

Shop around

I'd like you to compare the QUALITY of Thor built trailers to Forest river...you.ll see the difference....
Old 08-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyinfla View Post
I'd like you to compare the QUALITY of Thor built trailers to Forest river...you.ll see the difference....
Does Thor have a layout exactly like this?

If not the point is moot.

As for Thor quality, do you mean they are better or worse? Because I have read their build quaility is terrible.

Actually, it seems all trailer are built terrible now, you cant win
Old 08-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyinfla View Post
I've seen plenty of Thor Industries trailers and I've not seen any quality difference from FR.
Except Airstream which I can't afford nor would I want one.

Both corporations have dozens of brands/divisions with differing quality levels.
But all of them have some issues.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, lite, rockwood mini lite