RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #441
Explore

Two Mountain Bikes on 2511S Bumper

Last September I installed bumper safety struts and a Curt 2 inch bumper receiver hitch on our 2511S (see Post 242) to haul our two mountain bikes. I purchased a Swagman Escapee 2 bike platform rack. This bike rack comes with key locks and a locking hitch pin.

So far I have traveled with our mountain bikes over 2K miles. I have a Furrion backup/observation camera and can see the bikes while traveling. No bouncing at all with this setup.

2020 and later Rockwood Mini Lites now have a frame mounted receiver hitch. A great improvement that I wish my earlier 2511S had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swagman Bike Rack 1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	232175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Swagman Bike Rack 2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	232176  
Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:16 PM   #442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp4two View Post
... So far I have traveled with our mountain bikes over 2K miles. I have a Furrion backup/observation camera and can see the bikes while traveling. No bouncing at all with this setup.

2020 and later Rockwood Mini Lites now have a frame mounted receiver hitch. A great improvement that I wish my earlier 2511S had.
It's good to see reports like yours. I'm considering mounting my small generator on a rack using the accessory receiver hitch.

Your rack appears to be attached to the bumper. Is it also secured to the frame
Old 06-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #443
Explore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
It's good to see reports like yours. I'm considering mounting my small generator on a rack using the accessory receiver hitch.

Your rack appears to be attached to the bumper. Is it also secured to the frame
Thank you Chris. The bike rack's 2 inch shank goes into the Curt receiver which is bolted to the bumper. The bumper's strength comes from the safety struts (Post 242) which are bolted to the two I beams that is welded to the bumper.

A small generator and rack should easily be supported by your frame mounted receiver hitch. FR Customer Service should be able to give you the weight capacity of your hitch if it is not shown on it.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:10 PM   #444
Explore

2019 FR Safety Recall – Break-Away Safety Switch

Last year I received from FR a safety recall for the break-away safety switch on my 2019.5 2511S. Just received a follow-up recall notice requesting break-away switch be remedied. I didn’t pay much attention to it as my battery disconnect switch is always on when I travel which does not affect the break-away switch. Now realized I should have my dealer to fix it (free). When we sell our 2511S, the new owner will not be at risk.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Recall Front Page.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	232566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recall Back Page.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	232567  
Old 06-27-2020, 01:05 PM   #445

Quote:
Last year I received from FR a safety recall for the break-away safety switch on my 2019.5 2511S. Just received a follow-up recall notice requesting break-away switch be remedied. I didn’t pay much attention to it as my battery disconnect switch is always on when I travel which does not affect the break-away switch. Now realized I should have my dealer to fix it (free). When we sell our 2511S, the new owner will not be at risk.
From the text of the recall, the breakaway switch is wired to the switched side of the cutoff switch, rather than the hot side. If you travel with the switch off, you won't have emergency brakes if the trailer breaks away.

This does not require a trip to the dealer if you're even slightly talented with an adjustable wrench. All you have to do is unscrew two nuts, take the e-brake ring off the switched side, put it on the hot side, and put the nuts back. Disconnect the positive battery cable before doing that. Make sure all connections are tight when you're done.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:16 PM   #446
Explore

Quote:
From the text of the recall, the breakaway switch is wired to the switched side of the cutoff switch, rather than the hot side. If you travel with the switch off, you won't have emergency brakes if the trailer breaks away.

This does not require a trip to the dealer if you're even slightly talented with an adjustable wrench. All you have to do is unscrew two nuts, take the e-brake ring off the switched side, put it on the hot side, and put the nuts back. Disconnect the positive battery cable before doing that. Make sure all connections are tight when you're done.
Easy fix. I can do it - thanks. I appears you may have received the same recall. If so, did you notify FR of your fix so they have it noted in their system?
Old 06-27-2020, 11:59 PM   #447

Quote:
Easy fix. I can do it - thanks. I appears you may have received the same recall. If so, did you notify FR of your fix so they have it noted in their system?
I didn't get the recall. I read the recall letter you posted.

Related to that, I recently rewired my cutoff switch so the CO/propane monitor is on the switch side. That creates risk I'm willing to accept in order to stop the parasitic drain in the battery in storage. In doing so, though, I intentionally left the break-away switch wire in the hot side. Not being a parasitic load there is no reason to change it.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:12 PM   #448

Quote:
This is the 30 Amp Surge Protector I have for my 2511S:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of the best electrical safeguards is to have a surge protector between your shore power box and TT/RV power cord. I’ve seen many RVs power cord plugged into the shore power box without a surge protector (not good).
Or they have a hard wired EMS unit installed inside.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:40 AM   #449

Question on the 2511S

Hello,
We are new to this forum! Tons of great info! Thank you!
We are looking for a TT that will provide us with a compromise "space - reasonable size for boondocking / towing - price" and ran across the 2511S which seems to be a great candidate! I just would like to know what others' experience might be about the fridge being in the slide out (doesn't it run way hot some days?) Also, does the fridge run on 12V in addition to propane and 110V (ideal for my solar setting!)?
Thanks for any feedback!
LesLoubis!
LesLoubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:04 PM   #450

Les, Welcome to the forum, I'm new here too. We have had a total of three weeks camping in our 2020 2511S so far. It is our seventh camper and just what we want at this time of our lives. To answer your question, NO the fridge does not run on 12v. It is either 110V or propane. Propane consumption is small with these units. This is a large 8 cubic foot fridge compared to the 6 cube models found on most trailers. Reference your question about heat, a hot day here is 80F so I'm not sure I can be a lot of help there. What I will say is that we always try to pick a site where the fridge is not on the sunny side of the trailer. That makes a huge difference to how much it runs and may just extend the life of the fridge.

Paul

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS
2005 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40TSP
2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
2plus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:16 PM   #451
Explore

Welcome Les, Agree with everything Paul said. We have had our 2511S for about 2 yrs.

Keeping the slide out level is also important for the refrigerator. I found when our 2511S is on level ground, I have to raise the two tires under the refrigerator side up 2 inches to compensate for the slide out tilting down a little. Any pads/blocks will work to back on to.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:21 AM   #452

We've had our 2021 2511s for less that two months. The fridge/freezer has been running the entire time and has kept ice in the freezer. It faces the south and is in the sun most of the day. Two weeks ago, the temps all week were 90° in the day and 80° at night without a breeze to be found, still we had ice and cold food. Over the last twenty five years and four TTs that my parents have owned, my Dad never stressed about the fridge being leveled perfectly. Two of these TTs, the fridge ran five months straight, every year for ten years. When leveling my new TT, he advised "If it's level enough for you to be comfortable sleeping, it's level enough for the fridge." We love our camper. When we bought we knew we were sacrificing a window for a wardrobe slide out and I do wish there were more windows. We ordered the TT with an additional vent fan over the bed to help this problem. I still miss the old trailers that had a front bedroom window and canopy that opened. A silly complaint I have is the entrance door can't open completely when the griddle and shelf are attached. I don't know why they couldn't have moved the mounting rail over a few inches. In our opinion, the selling points for this floor plan are the large bathroom and private bedroom. Hope this helps. �� ��
JnDsTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:03 AM   #453

Questions by somewhat of a Newbie??

We got our 2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511s in Oct 2019 and I have a couple of questions if someone can help. Thanks in advance. Here it goes:

My little male dog, Butters has peed multiple times by lifting his leg in the bathroom right at the bottom of the linen closet next to the sink. The bottom panel close to the floor has started to buckle and swell. How could I refinish it back to normal???

I think I might have the cargo bay filled up too much and concerned about tounge weight or hitch weight. I have the bike rack with 2 bikes as well. My truck(2015 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 w/ trailer package and air suspension) is level when loaded and tows just fine. So, what is the proper hitch weight? Would it be safe to put my 100lb generator in the shower which we use for storage?

Please help and thanks again
chrisfontenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #454

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfontenot View Post
So, what is the proper hitch weight?
It should be between 10%-15% of the entire trailer weight. It's probably best somewhere in the middle. Variations within the range are adapted to by adjustments to spring tension on your weight distributing hitch.

Unfortunately, you can't just eyeball it and know what your tongue weighs. Fortunately, you can know exactly what it is if you take it to a CAT scale. Using a procedure where you weight your trailer and tow vehicle three times, with the hitch springs on or off, you can derive the weight on front and rear tow vehicle axles (separately), on the hitch, and on the trailer axle(s).

This is a very good step-by-step explanation of the procedure: Towing Howto: Weighing with Weigh My Truck app at CAT Scale (pics + screenshots)

The result will guide your decisions on how much you can carry and where to carry it. Ultimately, once you're within the designated range, finding the sweet spot for your trailer to tow smoothly is a bit of trial and error in adjusting the WDH spring tension.

Quote:
Would it be safe to put my 100lb generator in the shower which we use for storage?
Certainly, if the result falls within the 10-15% range described above, and the trailer tows smoothly. On my previous 21' hybrid, I had to do the opposite. I had stored it inside the back door, initially. That didn't feel good so I moved it up to the front, just behind the front wall. That improved things.

Unless you load your trailer and tow vehicle exactly the same every time, you may need to tweak the tension on your WDH springs up or down a little to compensate for smaller or larger loads.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:51 AM   #455

Quote:
This is a very good step-by-step explanation of the procedure: Towing Howto: Weighing with Weigh My Truck app at CAT Scale (pics + screenshots)
Clarification: I didn't read all the way to the bottom of that post. It's intended for fifth-wheel trailers which require only two separate weights to get the necessary information. Travel trailers require three weights, one with the trailer hitched but with the WDH springs disengaged. Read down through several responses in that thread and you'll find the necessary information.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:09 PM   #456

Exterior stove vent

2511S owners beware!

I just purchased my 2511s a few months ago, and recently my rig was exposed to a torrential downpour of rain. Luckily, I was inside and found water dripping down the interior wall of the trailer right under the stove vent. The rain water eventually began leaking through the stove vent itself.

I was able to soak up most of the water with paper towels. After the rain storm, I found that the exterior stove vent had no silicone around the edges of the vent cover. I decided to save a trip to the dealer and apply silicone myself. I also noticed the orange exterior LED light was missing silicone as well, so while I was up there I took care of that too. Simple fix.

Quality control at Forest River must have missed my trailer. I would double check your rig to avoid big problem one day.
The_Dude_Abides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:32 AM   #457
Explore

Leveling 2511S Large Slide Out

When camped on level ground I raise the large slide out 2 inches to get it level. When sliding it out it does slightly rise up at the end of travel but it’s not enough to get it level. I use two Camco pads under each wheel. I keep a couple extras if I need more leveling. Anderson levelers, wood blocks, any pads, etc. also works.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Leveling 2511S Large Slide Out.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	234166  
Old 07-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #458

WiFi Ranger

I am looking into making the WiFi Ranger into a hotspot using the built in cellular feature. I have seen a lot of different ways to connect. I am trying to see if anyone has had any luck with this or has found which way works best for them.

Option 1 - Apparently there is a board or socket on the roof inside the Wifi Ranger that allows you to put a SIM card or circuit board to get built in cellular.

Option 2 - Use you cell phone directly as a hotspot. Possibly connect to the Wifi Ranger wirelessly.

Option 3 - Use cell phone only as hot spot. But may not be able to stream to other devices.

Option 4 - Use a "Jetpack" hot spot device and connect to the Wifi Ranger's router inside the trailer. Has anyone found where this router is located?? There is some mention of it being in the cabinet under the TV.

Option number 2 seems to be the cheapest if it actually works.

I hope to hear from everyone on your experiences! If all else fails, I'll just go off the grid and have a beer and forget the Wifi
The_Dude_Abides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:25 PM   #459

Do you use a level on slide to determine when it's level? I never notice the 2 inch difference.We just used bubble level on tt to level side to side.

Del

2020 Rockwood Minilite 2511S
2012 F 150 Ecoboost
delseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:47 PM   #460

Del, we're not trying to overthink this. If you level the trailer before you extend the slides then the other side will 'unload' and if you use your level again you will find that the trailer is no longer level. The two stabilizers on the side of the slide act as a fulcrum and allow the other side to rise. The same happened with my 2502KS. It cannot be corrected with the stabilizers as the light side will continue to rise. As Camp4Two has shown the only way to prevent it is to start out with the slide side higher and it will then level itself.

Paul

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS
2005 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40TSP
2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
2plus1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite