Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2021, 07:20 AM   #1

MiniLite 2513s-Finally

We made our way from California to Wana RV in Indiana and picked up our new 2513s. The process went very smooth from order to pick up. I would highly recommend this dealer. While I wouldn’t change a thing, the marathon drive was exhausting at times. We are going to take our time going home.

Early in the trip just outside of Las Vegas we got a sobering look at the added risk with towing. There was a TV and TT on their side; a newer Mini Lite no less. Appeared to be in a caravan of several RVs. I wouldn’t speculate on what caused it, but noted it wasn’t too windy at that stage of the trip but certainly was as we made our way along I80.

I won’t go in to great details on the trailer yet as we have only spent one night at a local park. First impression is it is well-built. We used a PDI form found on the forum for guidance. Only found 2 things needing to be addressed. A trim piece/panel needing additional staples, and the locking latch on a storage door wouldn’t lock. Dealer fixed both while we did some paperwork and bought a few things in the store. There were two items falling victim to supply issues; no Serta mattress and no heated pad for the bed. They aren’t listed as features anymore on the website either. The mattress is hard as a rock, but I slept great on it. We don’t care that much for the t-v experience but the reception is pretty terrible with a lot of pixelation. Not sure if there is any improvement for that.

We picked this model having never seen one and had only looked at one other Mini Lite. We had previously only looked at various UltraLite models. Liked that it had a separate BR. Probably not that important since it is just the two of us. The other model we looked at had a Murphy bed, which affords much more floor space and additional seating. Kitchen has good counter space and layout. Opted for the theater seating, which is comfortable. Bath is spacious with a good size shower and a lot of storage. We have the 12v refrigerator with two 190w solar panels and two 6v batteries. Since we are using full hook-up this time can’t report on the functioning. The refrigerator is very cold and quiet though.

Main selling point for me was the outside kitchen. It is pretty big. Has larger 110v refrigerator, 2 burner cook top, larger cabinet, faucet/sink, some counter space and a griddle. The door is large enough to provide full overhead cover when open.

We managed to book sites yesterday for our next two stops, and found several campgrounds with availability. Ironically, we weren’t able to get any Harvest Host stays for those locations. Very popular now.

A side note as I sign off; there are tons of RVs heading West. I first noticed it as we entered Wyoming. Easily every 10-20th vehicle was a TT, 5er or MH in transport. Though I saw only a few Rockwood/Flagstaff models.

I’ll update impressions of the trailer as we progress and a complement of pics. So far good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BF7137A6-E559-43B0-A683-DF65790F38B6.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	256805  
rvflyer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:10 AM   #2

Congratulations and Welcome from New Jersey, We have the sister model 2511s and really enjoy it.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #3

Congrats and enjoy your new MiniLite 2513s!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Back in 2006, we traveled from Napa, California to Chicago and back, to pick up our first new trailer. We saved thousands of dollars and made a camping trip out of the return leg.
I think more and more West Coasters are doing this. We plan on doing it again when we purchase our new 5th wheel.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvflyer57 View Post
… We don’t care that much for the t-v experience but the reception is pretty terrible with a lot of pixelation. Not sure if there is any improvement for that. …
I don't know if the antenna or electronics changed since I picked up my 2020 model year 2507S, but you may have a signal amplifier. If so, it's a tiny button on the wall plate where the coaxial cable connects. When pressed in, a green LED lights up; when out, it's off. Turn it on for OTA reception; leave it off for cable reception if in a park that provides it.

If your antenna rotates, use https://www.antennaweb.org to find the location of broadcast antennae in your area and rotate the antenna for optimum reception.

It's my impression that newer models have an antenna that doesn't rotate or elevate. Mine rotates but doesn't elevate. On my 2014 hybrid, it did both. That added to the mechanical complexity for the manufacturer and the likelihood the user would forget it in the extended position and lose it to a tree branch.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #6

This is the unit we ordered and have only recently been in once. So far we love it but I am curious to know for sure, you cannot access the fridge or bathroom with the slide in correct?
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:02 PM   #7

Quote:
We made our way from California to Wana RV in Indiana and picked up our new 2513s. The process went very smooth from order to pick up. I would highly recommend this dealer. While I wouldn’t change a thing, the marathon drive was exhausting at times. We are going to take our time going home.

Early in the trip just outside of Las Vegas we got a sobering look at the added risk with towing. There was a TV and TT on their side; a newer Mini Lite no less. Appeared to be in a caravan of several RVs. I wouldn’t speculate on what caused it, but noted it wasn’t too windy at that stage of the trip but certainly was as we made our way along I80.

I won’t go in to great details on the trailer yet as we have only spent one night at a local park. First impression is it is well-built. We used a PDI form found on the forum for guidance. Only found 2 things needing to be addressed. A trim piece/panel needing additional staples, and the locking latch on a storage door wouldn’t lock. Dealer fixed both while we did some paperwork and bought a few things in the store. There were two items falling victim to supply issues; no Serta mattress and no heated pad for the bed. They aren’t listed as features anymore on the website either. The mattress is hard as a rock, but I slept great on it. We don’t care that much for the t-v experience but the reception is pretty terrible with a lot of pixelation. Not sure if there is any improvement for that.

We picked this model having never seen one and had only looked at one other Mini Lite. We had previously only looked at various UltraLite models. Liked that it had a separate BR. Probably not that important since it is just the two of us. The other model we looked at had a Murphy bed, which affords much more floor space and additional seating. Kitchen has good counter space and layout. Opted for the theater seating, which is comfortable. Bath is spacious with a good size shower and a lot of storage. We have the 12v refrigerator with two 190w solar panels and two 6v batteries. Since we are using full hook-up this time can’t report on the functioning. The refrigerator is very cold and quiet though.

Main selling point for me was the outside kitchen. It is pretty big. Has larger 110v refrigerator, 2 burner cook top, larger cabinet, faucet/sink, some counter space and a griddle. The door is large enough to provide full overhead cover when open.

We managed to book sites yesterday for our next two stops, and found several campgrounds with availability. Ironically, we weren’t able to get any Harvest Host stays for those locations. Very popular now.

A side note as I sign off; there are tons of RVs heading West. I first noticed it as we entered Wyoming. Easily every 10-20th vehicle was a TT, 5er or MH in transport. Though I saw only a few Rockwood/Flagstaff models.

I’ll update impressions of the trailer as we progress and a complement of pics. So far good.
Sounds like a nice rig. We looked at that model, going through the same decisions as you did, and wanted the separate bedroom so we upped to a 2608bs. Has most of the same components though.

We really like ours. I did replace the TV since it wasn't "smart". Wasn't too bad. A similar size smart TV was only $200.

Rockwood must have an endless supply of those 39" "dumb" TVs. I sold it for $100 so my net was $100.

The Teton HDTV antenna isn't the greatest. It's OK, but if you are too far out it does pixellate. The new TV was slightly better than the Insignia (must be slightly better/newer QAM tuner).

Also I found the wifi ranger interferes with the TV a little. Try turning it off and see if you see a difference. If you do, there are some filter thingies you can get that fixed that problem for me.

We like the 12v fridge it really cools well but it's hell on batteries. Hopefully your dealer gave you two batteries.

Careful with the awning in the wind.

Have fun!
Old 06-15-2021, 07:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
This is the unit we ordered and have only recently been in once. So far we love it but I am curious to know for sure, you cannot access the fridge or bathroom with the slide in correct?
You cannot access the bathroom with slide closed but can squeeze through to get to refrigerator. The dealer said it is okay to open the slide just enough to open the bath door. Just stay off the slide floor, and the dinette or theater seats when it is partially open. We are in our forth RV stop since leaving Indiana and couldn’t be happier with the camper. It’s what we hoped it would be. Only a couple of minor issues I repaired myself (e.g, stripped out screw on one cabinet). So far very happy with the 12v refrigerator and solar. I’ll give a more thorough run-down when we stay somewhere for more than a night.
1940 Chevy Special Deluxe
1946 Aeronca 7AC Champion
Old 06-17-2021, 09:24 PM   #9

Towing Impressions-2513s

This is probably more related to the TV as the MiniLite is a joy to tow in general. Stays where you want it, no sway etc. i really like the torsion axles, though at times they were challenged on I-40 through OK. Like a roller coaster. I haven’t gone over scales yet, but plan to hit CAT scales before we get home.

I expected to get movement as trucks passed, but as a rookie wasn’t quite ready. I went from death grip on the wheel to more relaxed after a few days. What hasn’t made sense to me, is a big rig can pass and hardly have an impact and the next one of identical size and speed will suck me in and spit me out pretty good. I’m a private pilot and know a little about aerodynamics, but doesn’t make sense. What is really interesting, is something as small as a Subaru can move me over. Now that humiliates a Hemi powered ego.

Hit a few areas of strong wind on I-40 that was pretty uncomfortable. No sway, but I moved a lot. About the time I was going to pull over, the wind calmed down.

Everyone has their comfort level, but I’m glad I didn’t buy the Ultra Light 2608 as I had planned. I think the 2513s is plenty for me and the Ram 1500. I have decided to change WDH to something like an Equalizer. The Reese with the separate friction bar seems to work, but it’s a bit of a pain to set up, and fine tune the friction bar.

We are at the Grand Canyon for a few days and then back to California. We’ve stayed at 7 RV parks since Indiana including one Harvest Host. We found no problems getting reservations with as little as a days notice. Harvest Host was actually more challenging.

Happy for the purchase and like everything about the new trailer.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:12 PM   #10

Quote:
You cannot access the bathroom with slide closed but can squeeze through to get to refrigerator. The dealer said it is okay to open the slide just enough to open the bath door. Just stay off the slide floor, and the dinette or theater seats when it is partially open. We are in our forth RV stop since leaving Indiana and couldn’t be happier with the camper. It’s what we hoped it would be. Only a couple of minor issues I repaired myself (e.g, stripped out screw on one cabinet). So far very happy with the 12v refrigerator and solar. I’ll give a more thorough run-down when we stay somewhere for more than a night.
It would be nice to see pictures if you get a chance. Sounds like you are having quite the trip so far!
Old 06-19-2021, 10:03 PM   #11

MiniLite 2513 Pics

Here is a sampling of pics. Of interest to MichaelE, I included some showing access to bath with slide open, closed and open enough for access. We complete our 2 week journey tomorrow and sort of happy to be home. Next trip in a few weeks to the Redwoods in Felton CA.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3DB310AF-4EDC-4361-9339-3B83C0E6B9C2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	257400   Click image for larger version

Name:	DA094E18-69A0-4FE4-AD15-3C3C6D0AA1FE.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	257401   Click image for larger version

Name:	A9210DAE-6C49-4862-8280-7C4A83DA3195.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	257402   Click image for larger version

Name:	6AA42B0A-259B-4219-AAB8-6180C633BC88.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	257403   Click image for larger version

Name:	F398F2D2-4477-4E30-A016-EEF68FC01573.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	257404  

Name:	E73E16B7-271F-4788-8E50-83D7CC5E14E7.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	257406   Click image for larger version

Name:	86A05FA6-6243-455D-B07B-637155A81835.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	257407   Click image for larger version

Name:	1BA172C6-09AC-4F7D-8468-D52E969EE8FB.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	257408   Click image for larger version

Name:	9E8129D3-A631-4CA5-9501-66C227217FC3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	257409  
Old 06-19-2021, 10:22 PM   #12

Man now I want mine too get here LOL

Thank you for posting the pictures, I appreciate that!

How is it sleeping with the front windshield? That will be new to us and seems very bright lol

Is the fridge staying cold while you're putting on all those miles?
Old 06-19-2021, 10:57 PM   #13

We close the blinds when we sleep but open during the day when inside. Not too bight when closed. Had two days with great AZ Mountain View’s out the front. The refrigerator is running great so far. I have no prior experience to compare to, but freezes things as fast as our home unit. Panels are keeping up with demand.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:36 PM   #14

Compressor refrigerators are goofy so I'm excited to get the 12v. Also means no vents to the outside behind the fridge.

Is that a small freezer inside the outdoor fridge?
Old 06-21-2021, 08:28 AM   #15

The outdoor refrigerator is a dorm-type with a small freezer compartment. It only runs when on shore power.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
Compressor refrigerators are goofy so I'm excited to get the 12v. Also means no vents to the outside behind the fridge.

Is that a small freezer inside the outdoor fridge?
It does look like a freezer section. My 2507S has the same outdoor kitchen but doesn't have a freezer section. I'd really rather have a smaller dorm cube stacked on top of a small microwave but I think the arrangement is targeted to large outdoor parties where space for refrigerated adult beverages is highly valued.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, mini lite, minilite, minilite 2513s