Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #1

mount small generator on front rack of late-model Mini-/Microlite?

Has anyone tested whether a Honda EU2000i generator can fit on the front battery rack of newer model Mini-/Microlites? I don't know that I'd run it while mounted, for noise and exhaust considerations, but it would be nice to be able to mount it there semi-permanently with some kind of secure lock-down system.

Ideally, it would require only a locking plate to secure it. It doesn't look like there's space for a box of any kind, and I can't see how the top of the box would open, even if there were space to attach it.

I understand there are limits to the security of a locking plate. I haven't decided that I'd take that route, even if possible. Maybe I'd use it while in transit, but move it to the enclosed bed of my truck, or elsewhere, while encamped.

Thanks in advance for sharing information and insight.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #2

I have seen several different setups like that here at the lakes where a lot of people boondock on the shoreline. That little genny shouldn't overload your tounge.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
I have seen several different setups like that here at the lakes where a lot of people boondock on the shoreline.
Were they the new Rockwood design with the curve on the front? I'm asking specifically about that model with the space under the curve for a battery tray.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:46 PM   #4

I have thought of that as well.

If it doesnt fit there, there is an A frame (tongue mount) tray available made by Stromberg Carlson that looks pretty stout.

Looks to mount the tray above propane tanks... I was looking at that option, but I think I am gonna use that area to mount an Arvika 2 bike carrier and take the bikes off the back bumper...
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Were they the new Rockwood design with the curve on the front? I'm asking specifically about that model with the space under the curve for a battery tray.
I didn't really pay attention to year make and model. Just saying I have seen some setups like you are thinking about.

Just this morning I saw a big 5th wheel pulled by a Ford F350 srw and he had a big Champion generator on a rack on the front bumper.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #6
jkoenig24

Make sure your Honda is WELL SECURED. Even well secured, it will be an attractive target for thieves.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
Make sure your Honda is WELL SECURED. Even well secured, it will be an attractive target for thieves.
Is the mounting plate sold by Honda actually secure, assuming the base is attached in a warmm manner that's not removable? I know they also sell an add-on handle cover to harden it against being sawn through if secured by a chain through that handle. Not sure if that actually adds security

Tags
generator, lite, mount