Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #41

Heart of the matter!

Jay makes a great point! First of I think every man NEEDS a new truck! But don't let that be the reason you throw away a perfectly good truck. I pull with a diesel and like it. But lower gear and slower uphill will bring you into some beautiful country for pennies instead of dollars, + you can do more STUFF! Travel forth and ENJOY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
I would not worry about it. Just use a lower gear that the truck feels good pulling. Yes you will go over slower but that is cheaper than a new truck. Jay
olwogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #42

Not being familiar with Nissan trucks, I just learned that it is a 4 valve per cylinder engine. For some reason those engines like to rev higher than the typical 2 valve pushrod engine. When we pull our boat with the Trailblazer with its 4 valve engine I just drop it to second and go up any hill between 3500-4000 rpm. Our boat is 7000 pounds and the Trailblazer has 3.42 gears. I think the Nissan will work ok. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:35 PM   #43

My Tundra conquered the Rockies , Cascade and Sierras hauling close to 10k loaded TT and passed many of diesels going up. I loved the feeling of finding that sweet spot and just passing diesel after diesel was really twice the fun I passed them once on way up hill and again after I had to stop for gas and they didn’t
Old 04-11-2018, 04:35 AM   #44
Insert witty title here

Mountain towing question.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
My Tundra conquered the Rockies , Cascade and Sierras hauling close to 10k loaded TT and passed many of diesels going up. I loved the feeling of finding that sweet spot and just passing diesel after diesel was really twice the fun I passed them once on way up hill and again after I had to stop for gas and they didn’t

I call BS.

I owned a Tundra pulling a 9k trailer and had great difficulty holding 45mph even on modest grades. I was only able to tolerate 1 season of that before I traded for a diesel.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:01 AM   #45

Call it what you want I was there my wife wife was annoyed after I mentioned over and over again. I never said I passed every diesel going up the mountains nor did I say I never had to slow down going up. I was just stating that the Tundra aka a gas engine like the op had didn’t appear to struggle anymore than the other trucks on the road. Since the 2014 is reported to have 381 hp 401 torque 4:10 gear ratio ( possible 4:30)and was rated 10,500 tow capacity using SAE J2807 I don’t mind offering driving lessons since it doesn’t appear the truck was the weak link in your driving equation Have a great day
Old 04-11-2018, 06:03 AM   #46
Censored Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I call BS.

I owned a Tundra pulling a 9k trailer and had great difficulty holding 45mph even on modest grades. I was only able to tolerate 1 season of that before I traded for a diesel.
Come on timfromma, it's on the Internet so it must be true.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:09 AM   #47
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Call it what you want I was there my wife wife was annoyed after I mentioned over and over again. I never said I passed every diesel going up the mountains nor did I say I never had to slow down going up. I was just stating that the Tundra aka a gas engine like the op had didn’t appear to struggle anymore than the other trucks on the road. Since the 2014 is reported to have 381 hp 401 torque 4:10 gear ratio ( possible 4:30)and was rated 10,500 tow capacity using SAE J2807 I don’t mind offering driving lessons since it doesn’t appear the truck was the weak link in your driving equation Have a great day

Oh really?

Quote:

Whatever you say dude. Maybe my Tundra was a lemon.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #48

One of the issues that I have with post like this is that everyones towing expectations are different, It doesn't mean they are wrong or lying, just different. For me I am happy if I can pull a grade at 55, for others they are not happy if that can't maintain 75. What did people do 25 years ago when trucks had half the HP and Torque? They still got to their destinations, created great memories and got home. This country has gotten itself into a big @*&% hurry. I see more ego related responses about how great their truck is compared to others based on what they want as a towing experience. As long as they are towing safe who gives a crap how fast they go up a hill. Timfromma, get over yourself, your Diesel is no better than any other truck that gets a family to a destination.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #49

FWIW, there are two different "Tundra's". When first introduced it was a bit of a weakling. It was then upgraded considerably in HP, Torque, Tow cap , Brakes, etc, etc.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
One of the issues that I have with post like this is that everyones towing expectations are different, It doesn't mean they are wrong or lying, just different. For me I am happy if I can pull a grade at 55, for others they are not happy if that can't maintain 75. What did people do 25 years ago when trucks had half the HP and Torque? They still got to their destinations, created great memories and got home. This country has gotten itself into a big @*&% hurry. I see more ego related responses about how great their truck is compared to others based on what they want as a towing experience. As long as they are towing safe who gives a crap how fast they go up a hill. Timfromma, get over yourself, your Diesel is no better than any other truck that gets a family to a destination.
Some of us grew up in the years when trailers were towed by the family car. Before going up the big hills we stopped, made sure the radiator was full and everyone's bladder was empty 'cause we were going to be a while going up.
There were often pull-out with barrels of emergency radiator water placed there by the highway departments.

Nobody wanted to tow their trailer in those days with a pickup truck because they were slow, noisy, hot or cold depending, and if you were a kid you had to share the same narrow spot in the middle of the seat with a sibling. Also had to keep feet out of way whenever shifting was required.

Today some look down their noses at anyone who is towing with anything less than a 1T diesel crew cab.

Back then we would have been ecstatic to have something like a basic 1/2 ton extended or crew cab that's sold today.

As for my choice of truck ( as well as most everyone out there) it was the one I wanted. It's fully paid for, gets me around with my trailer as fast as I want, and it's paid for. That alone puts me about $600/mo ahead on my gas budget.

Oh, I almost forgot. WDH's were yet to be invented when we towed with our family car and who can forget the bag of extra water hanging from the hood ornament? [emoji1]

Old 04-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Oh really?

Whatever you say dude. Maybe my Tundra was a lemon.

My old 2006 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0 gas engine was a nice truck I never had any issues with it it towed great in the flats but in the Sierra's and Rockies it was a dog and that was only pulling 6K perhaps it was because of the 4 speed auto transmission who knows maybe it was a lemon.

I'm sure newer 3/4 & 1 ton gassers have come a long way in the last 12 year But I can honestly say no Tundras were passing me going up any of the larger grades out West with my RAM with the Cummins going down that maybe a different story
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #52
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Last year halfway up the hill to the Eisenhower Tunnel (around 13,000 feet) I saw a new Tundra with a 5th-wheel trailer on the back pulled over with the hood up and all of the antifreeze running down the hill under the truck and trailer.

That's all I'm gonna say...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Last year halfway up the hill to the Eisenhower Tunnel (around 13,000 feet) I saw a new Tundra with a 5th-wheel trailer on the back pulled over with the hood up and all of the antifreeze running down the hill under the truck and trailer.

Having lived in CO and driven through the Eisenhower tunnel uncounted times I can tell you that eventually you'll see just about every make of truck towing trailers stopped with the same problem.

Can happen to anyone.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Having lived in CO and driven through the Eisenhower tunnel uncounted times I can tell you that eventually you'll see just about every make of truck towing trailers stopped with the same problem.

Can happen to anyone.
I think you missed the "new Tundra" in my post...not old one!
Old 04-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post

Don't think you went through the Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado at 13000'.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #56
Censored Member

That climb to the Eisenhower Tunnel is unbelievable and can test any vehicle towing a trailer…new or old. It’s not so much the steepness of the grade, it’s the length of the climb. I believe it’s a 10 mile climb with a 5% - 6% grade.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #57

So? I've seen new Ford's, Chev's, and Ram's disabled on that hill too. Watch it long enough and every make will eventually show up on the side of the road.

As for why, ever had a belt or hose fail. Guaranteed overheat even when totally unloaded.

Seeing a disabled vehicle proves nothing.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #58

I had no problem hauling my rig up through the Eisenhower tunnel, right after they reopened it because of a blizzard. The engine temp never got above normal, but that could have been helped by the freezing temperatures. Even so, I am really impressed with the 3.7L Ford Ecoboost engine.

Blessings,
Andrew
Old 04-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Don't think you went through the Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado at 13000'.
Give me a break...geez!

Since you are so smart...what is the elevation?

I think actually around 11,000.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
So? I've seen new Ford's, Chev's, and Ram's disabled on that hill too. Watch it long enough and every make will eventually show up on the side of the road.

As for why, ever had a belt or hose fail. Guaranteed overheat even when totally unloaded.

Seeing a disabled vehicle proves nothing.
Some people...

You are one of those guys who just has to get the last word in no matter what!

So I'll give you one more crack at it...

Tags
mount, towing