Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2020, 04:29 PM   #1

Mouse problem

Hi All,

I own a 2019 rockwood signature series 8327s.

We seemed to have a mouse or some mice getting into our trailer. Some obvious areas were recently sealed/closed up with spay foam inside the trailer only.

Spots under the bathroom and kitchen sink where wires and pipes come and go. Similar spot under the shower and openings where mice might crawl out of.

I found a fake wall At the bottoms of our pantry where a wire runs across. Holes on bothers sides of the wall were sealed. One side leads to the furnace and water heater compartments.

After a few days, I discovered that they are somehow getting into the water pump and furnace/water heater areas. I leave poison in those areas. I am not sure how much is being consumed yet. But I think that’s been their only mode of getting in.

I was just wondering where on the outside could they be coming in from.

Has anyone else had similar issues and how did you manage it?

My unit is stationary for the summer at a trailer park.

Cheers,
Bob
CanadianBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:00 PM   #2
2020 FR Wildwood 263BHXL

Bob, do you leave any kind of food in your pantry during summer months. I’m just curious as the little critters flock to where they can eat
JMMP9MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:19 PM   #3

They get in through the smallest racks. I had to seal along the entire side of the camper where the walls meet the floor. As jmmp9mm stated, make sure you leave no food in the camper when you’re not there.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:22 PM   #4

The mice can get through extremely small holes. Seal up everything you can find and then also put steel wool inside along all potential inside crawl holes that you don't want to permanently seal. There are a number of threads on mice on this forum if you want to read more. (type in mice in the top right search box) I've not found anything better than the new plastic snap traps baited with peanut butter.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:00 AM   #5

we had a mouse visitor once. we are fastidious about removing all food items when we leave the trailer in storage. we bought some of those mouse repellents that look like a bag of sawdust or ground corn cobs with mint oil in them. also some mouse traps. the mint bags lose their odor after a while and the instructions say to buy new and replace them. instead i bought a bottle of mint oil and just drizzle some of it on the bags and reuse them.

no more mice for several years now. i cannot claim that any of the actions i took were responsible for not having the mice. i could be that the mice simply moved elsewhere. or a cat or bird got them. but i will continue to do what i am doing until such time as the mice prove me wrong. there's just too much plastic plumbing and electrical cables in the trailer that a mouse could wreak havoc on!
Old 07-06-2020, 08:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBob View Post
Hi All,

After a few days, I discovered that they are somehow getting into the water pump and furnace/water heater areas. I leave poison in those areas. I am not sure how much is being consumed yet. But I think that’s been their only mode of getting in.
I would suggest trying to avoid the use of poison and use glue traps or the good ole fashioned Victor spring mouse traps with some peanut butter. The reason I suggest this is once they eat the poison, they go off somewhere to die and that somewhere could be in your walls and places you can not easily get to. The rotting smell of a mouse is TERRIBLE and lingers for a long, long time.

Trust me on the above.....got the t-shirts (yes plural) to prove it.