Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #1

Murphy bed latches breaking

We have a Mini-Lite 1905 with the murphy bed option and are having a really bad time with the latches that hold it upright in place. When we purchased it, they were misaligned so the dealership realigned them and put in new latches.

When we got it home (2149kms, 1335 miles), the latches were once again loose with 1 screw actually missing. It seems with the jiggling of travelling, it's putting stress on those silly screws and causing them to all come loose. I don't want to put giant screws in the latches as I don't want to split the wood. We tried travelling with the bed down but for some reason the way it shifts the weight, it doesn't feel comfortable to tow.

Has anybody put new hardware on their murphy bed to prevent this? And if so, what did you use? Thanks!
ArcticLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticLyn View Post
We have a Mini-Lite 1905 with the murphy bed option and are having a really bad time with the latches that hold it upright in place. When we purchased it, they were misaligned so the dealership realigned them and put in new latches.

When we got it home (2149kms, 1335 miles), the latches were once again loose with 1 screw actually missing. It seems with the jiggling of travelling, it's putting stress on those silly screws and causing them to all come loose. I don't want to put giant screws in the latches as I don't want to split the wood. We tried travelling with the bed down but for some reason the way it shifts the weight, it doesn't feel comfortable to tow.

Has anybody put new hardware on their murphy bed to prevent this? And if so, what did you use? Thanks!
My suggestion is to drill out the screw holes and install bolts all the way through. If it's the part attached to the cabinet, that should be very easy and the nuts would be hidden inside the cabinet. If it's the sliding part attached to the bed legs, I believe you can get to the back of the leg, so you can put nuts on the back and they shouldn't be visible.

We haven't had any issues with our Murphy bed, other than one of the latches is a bit difficult to get inserted, at least for the DW.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
My suggestion is to drill out the screw holes and install bolts all the way through. If it's the part attached to the cabinet, that should be very easy and the nuts would be hidden inside the cabinet. If it's the sliding part attached to the bed legs, I believe you can get to the back of the leg, so you can put nuts on the back and they shouldn't be visible.

We haven't had any issues with our Murphy bed, other than one of the latches is a bit difficult to get inserted, at least for the DW.
Thanks for the tip, I'll have the hubby dig around in there this week.
ArcticLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticLyn View Post
no problem with the latches, but certainly the large Murphy Bed hinge, FR had missed the aluminum frame bar, and screws were only in the thin wood paneling, ...... discovered while repairing a broken weld on the MB frame,...... when I re-installed the MB, I went thru the aluminum frame bar, plus added eight, 1/4" machine screws w/ny-loc nuts, four on each wing of the hinge....

ps: you might check that hinge, if you have a similar problem as mine, that hinge could be loose and allowing the bed to drop down, causing mis-alignment of the latch

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
no problem with the latches, but certainly the large Murphy Bed hinge, FR had missed the aluminum frame bar, and screws were only in the thin wood paneling, ...... discovered while repairing a broken weld on the MB frame,...... when I re-installed the MB, I went thru the aluminum frame bar, plus added eight, 1/4" machine screws w/ny-loc nuts, four on each wing of the hinge....

ps: you might check that hinge, if you have a similar problem as mine, that hinge could be loose and allowing the bed to drop down, causing mis-alignment of the latch
X2.

Also, the vertical piece of wood that the piano hinge is attached to is only attached to the sides of the cabinets on each side by a few screws. If you open your outside storage compartments, you'll probably be able to see them. When I picked up my 2503S, it turned out that they had not installed ANY screws into that vertical piece of wood on the street side. Curb side had 3 screws. Dealer installed 4 screws into street side and one more into curb side. I subsequently added 1 more on each side. It's not a very robust design.

Suggest your DH checks to see if you have any screws loose, or missing. (Sorry, couldn't help myself - ) Might explain why it feels funny towing with it down.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #6

When we had latch screw come loose , hubby put super glue in hole and re screwed, 3 years and still holding tight!

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #7
KnP

And when all fails.... Use the handyman secret weapon "Duct Tape".

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Old 05-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #8

murphy bed

I tow with mine down. I can't imigine it causes enough weight shift to notice.
My latches didn't slide far enough into the cabinet frame to hold well so I repositioned them. I've always towed with the bed down but I doubt it would have stayed up.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I tow with mine down.
on some models, like our Micro Lite 25KS, the Murphy Bed won't come down unless the slide is out, so we can't travel with it down

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:24 PM   #10

I read this thread when I woke up camping this morning. When the time came to put the bed up for the day, it acted like it didn't want to go up all the way, so back down it came. Crawled on the bed, and fished out an extra pillow. I then saw a place where wires came through the floor. I got a flashlight for a closer look because I am adding an inverter later so I wanted a closer look. I then found 3 extra screws, tie wraps with the ends not cut and a pair of snap-on needle nose pliers left by FR. I will check out the other screws when it stops raining! Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:59 PM   #11
KnP

Lucky you... Snap On Needle Nose.

Tags
bed