Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2017, 10:33 PM   #1

Murphy Bed Legs Rolling Under

I am having trouble keeping the leg on my Murphy bed from rolling under and not stayin firmly on the floor. What have others done to keep them square. I have thought of adding magnets. Or is no one else having this problem.

Thanks
kamp-n-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #2

Never heard of this issue. Do you have the round rubber "foot" on the bottom of your legs? I would think that would keep the legs from folding under.

Note that older units (before spring 2017) had luan and foam floors and a number of us with the round rubber feet removed them and installed felt on the bottom of the legs. The round rubber feet did not have as much square area as the entire leg does, and it was creating an impression in the floor; the felt allows the entire area of the leg to rest on the floor, resulting less less pressure per square inch.

The newer units have 5/8" plywood for the floor, so the pressure is a non-problem (so far as I am aware).

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Never heard of this issue. Do you have the round rubber "foot" on the bottom of your legs? I would think that would keep the legs from folding under.

Note that older units (before spring 2017) had luan and foam floors and a number of us with the round rubber feet removed them and installed felt on the bottom of the legs. The round rubber feet did not have as much square area as the entire leg does, and it was creating an impression in the floor; the felt allows the entire area of the leg to rest on the floor, resulting less less pressure per square inch.

The newer units have 5/8" plywood for the floor, so the pressure is a non-problem (so far as I am aware).

I have the 5/8 floor, but I still removed the rubber foot and added the felt pad. My couch cushions keep the bed from going all the way down
Old 11-01-2017, 11:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamp-n-head View Post
I have the 5/8 floor, but I still removed the rubber foot and added the felt pad. My couch cushions keep the bed from going all the way down
Never heard of the cushions keeping the legs from going all the way down. Maybe you should put the rubber foot back on.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #5

I had the same problem with my new 2304ks I put the felt on so the floor would not dent. If you make sure it is square and hold down when you get on bed, after a few times the cushions get mashed down and get a memory. Another thing that will help is if you put down a non slip runner rug in front of couch this holds the legs well also.

Beck
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck View Post
I had the same problem with my new 2304ks I put the felt on so the floor would not dent. If you make sure it is square and hold down when you get on bed, after a few times the cushions get mashed down and get a memory. Another thing that will help is if you put down a non slip runner rug in front of couch this holds the legs well also.

Beck

I was hoping it would mash down over time. Only sleep in it 3 nights so far.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:27 PM   #7

We've got the thicker floor but replaced the plastic buttons with thick sticky-back felt anyway after hearing about floor dents. We've had the same issue with the legs sliding in a bit, usually when one of the mutts plops down at night against the legs. I'm not too worried about it since the couch is there to prevent the bed from dropping too far. I've thought of different ways to lock them in place - lots of options there (e.g., window-type latches or locking tabs) but since it hasn't been a big problem it's low on the list of projects.
Blog for our trailer trips: www.jackandaprilblog.com
jackconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:35 PM   #8

We put our rugs under the feet or rubber pads. We had problems with it moving the first night. Now as mentioned above we make sure it is square and push the bed down.
Max the Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #9

So last night must have been my magic night. The leg end stayed in place.

Tags
bed