Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #1

Murphy Bed Problem

Anyone out there have their bed tear loose from the wall where it is screwed in?

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #2

Murphy Bed problems

I realize that this thread is old but I thought I would respond to it because I had the same problem with my Murphy Bed about three weeks ago. The mounting screws at the pivot point of the bed ripped out. I was just going to take it back to the dealer but then I thought I would see exactly the problem was. What I found, what I think, was a combination of poor design (only 1 screw per side) and poor workmanship, (the screws were not into solid material very well). I decided to repair it myself because I was afraid the dealer would just fix it the way it was. I disconnected the 2 spring shocks that assist opening and closing the bed. They are rated a 100 pounds each and were a ***** to get back in place. I installed 3 screws per side, used longer screws, and made sure they got a good bite into solid material. I am confident that this fix is much better than it was and will not give me any more trouble.
Bandit114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #3

We did the same, 3 screws per side and we put a piece if 2x4 for the screws to bite into did not trust the 1x1. Pretty shocked at how poorly it was mounted considering how heavy it is.

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #4

Hello, just got my brand new Rockwood 1905 this weekend, got it home, all excited to use it on its' first trip soon, and while checking things out again in the driveway, I think I am having the same problem as described in this post - can someone confirm from the pic below/attached. It looks like mine had more than one screw in there, but they all seem to have missed the mark. I guess my quesiton is how to I reach back in there to be able to screw this back into the solid wood instead of the thin panel it was "attached" to to begin with? Should I try to attach this myself? Should I make the five hour round trip back to the dealer? Should I call FR and inquire if there is a local authorized facility? Kind of bummed, but I don't think it's the end of the world, and can probably be resolved easier than I'm thinking???

Thanks for any input.

http://sdrv.ms/PlTOvs links to picture of affected area
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	murphy.jpg
Views:	1040
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	18020  
justkdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #5

Same Murphy Bed problem.

Sorry to see the pic of your new camper. That picture looks like my problem only with more screws. My camper was over a year old when this happened, so I decided to repair it myself. Since your camper is new I would contact FR and see how they want to go about repairing it, even if you have to return it to the dealer. Another post said they added a 2x4 for better support. I did not do that. I removed the panel from the short stationary wall and found a steel frame that the screws go through and then into a 1x1 wooden frame behind that panel that has the rips in it. I removed the screws, got the bed back into place, used longer screws and angled them to get a better bite into that 1x1. Sure is sad to see how crappy that design is. Good Luck! Keep us posted on how you make out!
Bandit114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #6

Join the club! http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-27039.html

I had my wife push the whole cabinet face back into place, got up inside my outdoor storage area, and added additional screws and brackets to hold it... for now. I made a warranty claim with RVW three weeks ago but haven't heard a thing. Not real happy about the whole thing... obviously a bad design.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
Join the club! http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-27039.html

I had my wife push the whole cabinet face back into place, got up inside my outdoor storage area, and added additional screws and brackets to hold it... for now. I made a warranty claim with RVW three weeks ago but haven't heard a thing. Not real happy about the whole thing... obviously a bad design.
pg_rider, I saw your posted pics and your damage looks different. I am still trying to figure out how the cabinet broke. Was the top strut not mounted into the 1x1 inside the storage bay or did the side of the cabinet just crack? I can see how the others developed those tears because the bottom of the strut was not properly tapped into the 1x1 (which really doesn't provide much support) but I can't see how yours cracked like that.

It looks like the struts were properly mounted into the 1x1's on my unit BUT the screws split the wood on the 1x1's in a couple places which worries me. I'd like to fix this before it develops into a bigger problem.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #8

Due to this thread I checked to see how our murphy bed is mounted. Luckily-ish, in our nearly 2 week old 2013 1901, there is nothing in the outside storage to limit my view. Yep, a piece of 1x1x6 with 4 screws is all that's holding the m.b. on each side. Well, 2 pcs I suppose on the door side since two of the screws completely cracked the 1x1. Will be replaced w/2x4 before next use as preventative. At least they got all 4 screws in the 1x1 (on both sides).
JJFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #9

Hmmm....now I'll need to go take a look at the one in my camper. We've had the unit for a couple years now and haven't noticed anything up to now.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #10

I have a 2014 Forest River Micro Lite19FD and mine just broke also like everyone described.
Rcbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkdue View Post
Hello, just got my brand new Rockwood 1905 this weekend, got it home, all excited to use it on its' first trip soon, and while checking things out again in the driveway, I think I am having the same problem as described in this post - can someone confirm from the pic below/attached. It looks like mine had more than one screw in there, but they all seem to have missed the mark. I guess my quesiton is how to I reach back in there to be able to screw this back into the solid wood instead of the thin panel it was "attached" to to begin with? Should I try to attach this myself? Should I make the five hour round trip back to the dealer? Should I call FR and inquire if there is a local authorized facility? Kind of bummed, but I don't think it's the end of the world, and can probably be resolved easier than I'm thinking???

Thanks for any input.

http://sdrv.ms/PlTOvs links to picture of affected area

When we picked up our 2503S, the entire left side hadn't been screwed in. NO screws at all. The dealer put 3 screws in it, and added an extra one on the other side (so 3 total on each side now). When I got it home, I added a 4th screw on each side. You should be able to access them from the outside storage areas, although your street side door is a bit small. They basically use a couple screws on each side, and their trying to hit a piece of particle board about 3/4" thick. Good luck with that.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #12

We have the murphy bed option too in our ML 23LB. The extra room it provides is great as is the extra seating from the couch. However, we want to replace both items with a Tiffany comfort sleeper couch.

American Leather : Comfort Sleeper

It is way more comfortable and it would give us even more room when closed up. Does anyone know how much the factory murphy bed and couch weigh? We want to know if doing the swap would put us over our allowed tongue weight. Thanks for any input.

'09 BMW X5 xDrive35D (TV)
'15 Porsche Cayenne Diesel (Wife's)
'15 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB (TT)
MudyOvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:34 AM   #13

I had a 2015 Solera 24M and had plenty of problems with the Murphy Bed. Never fail to report a problem to FR first because they will always have your back if it fails again even if it is out of warranty.
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
Palmyra,VA
MountainTrippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #14

Murphy bed fix

Also forgot to latch down bed before towing. Added some lumber to storage compartments to anchor the braces we added.
Mikevet49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #15

It is recommended to lower the bed for towing unless you are blocked by a slideout.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:40 PM   #16

Did you complete this conversion to sleeper sofa? I have a 2015 Mini Lite 1901 with murphy bed and dinette combo. I'd love to convert it to murphy bed/sofa combo or sleeper sofa.
dlhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
It is recommended to lower the bed for towing unless you are blocked by a slideout.
no reason to lower for travel, ... it's designed to be sufficiently supported in the up position, even when traveling, ... but as the posts in this thread have revealed, there have been units that do get out of the factory without being properly installed, ...

our MB negative was, ... half the screws securing the large piano hinge had missed the intended aluminum frame piece and were only holding in the thin paneling, ... I went into the cavity where the head of the bed swings down and added more screws, PLUS, added four machine screws with nyloc nuts, along the length of the hinge, ... the factory or a dealer would never go to that trouble, .......... next, had a weld brake on the bed frame, ..FR allowed me to repair and reimbursed for parts/material used, ...

even with the problems we've had with the MB, we love it in our 25KS, .... had a full-time bed in a 21DS, the Murphy Bed is so much better, ....

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:03 PM   #18

Ours was held up by sliding latches that barely latched. Dealer recommended lowering for travel, and I concur. There are likely several versions of how they latch up and the quality of the installation.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:28 PM   #19

I hope you realize that the OP is 5...going on 6 years old ? I'm sure the problem has been resolved already.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:38 PM   #20

Murphy bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhoff View Post
Did you complete this conversion to sleeper sofa? I have a 2015 Mini Lite 1901 with murphy bed and dinette combo. I'd love to convert it to murphy bed/sofa combo or sleeper sofa.
Didn’t change much. Unscrewed piano hinge and disconnected the struts. Added some additional supports in outside storage area to tap into. Added angle brackets to bottom legs of bed.Added spacer to left latch.
Mikevet49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed