Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 07:11 AM   #1

My mods so far with our new 2018 2703WS

Gidday from New Zealand,

Just for people out there that might find this interesting, thought i would share my list of mods i have done so far on our new 2018 Rockwood 2703WS and the list of mods still planned. Alot of these ideas i used have come from reading on this forum and i thank those that posted that i got the ideas from.... GREAT forum!!!

Whats done so far to date:

1: Replaced the Colman Mach anologue thermostat with a digital version. ( Great mod that one!!)
2: Changed out the stumpy aerial on the WiFi Ranger for a Longer more efficiant one definatly improved and strengthened the reception( Thanks Ebay China )
3: Installed reversing LED spot lights under the rear bumper ( controlled not only when the tow vehicle has been put into reverse, but can also be manually switched on by a switch mounted at the front left side of the camper ( see pic with the new three set water proof gang switch installed also)
4: Installed 4 under chassis LED spot lights to illuminate the ground at each stablizer leg (Controlled at the 3 Switch gang set up as mentioned before)
5: Front cap hitching LED light bar is now controlled by a new switch at the Gang switch setup.
6:Removed standard LED light bar switch and installed 3 switch gang setup.
7: Installed a MyRv Wifi Hub ( can now remotely control the levelling system and future remote slideout system using MyRv mobile phone App)
8: Made up an awning support and tie down kit so the awning is nice and firmly stable in very windy conditions whilst also using an added sunshade attached to the awning. ( GREAT MOD!!)
9: Last but not least.... i imported directly from Lippert Components a
"Gound Control 3.0 TT After Market" Automatic Levelling System....
This levelling system is ABSOLUTLY BRILLIANT!!! i cannot speak highly enough of the service i received when dealing with Lippert ......fantastic company!!!.

For those that are wondering why the lights and levelling system..... my wife and i use this camper alot and we travel at night after work so half of our setting up is done in the dark...... i like to keep an eye at the ground as the feet take the weight to make sure everything is ok. Alot of soft ground over here where we camp.
Reversing into our tight driveway at nite is now much better with the reversing lights on.
And as for the expense of the levelling system..... we go to alot of places so that means alot of upzeez and downzeez with the original corner to corner sissor jacks.... to be honest they dont cut it in my book and also alot of camper movement was experianced when they were down even sitting on 12 inch high log rings and they seemed to make the chassis bow a bit like a banana... they are just not stable enough for what we do.

Mods to do so far is:
1: install and connect a MyRv 5 Channel controller receiver to remotely control all the 3 slide outs, Awning and a single Lighting circuit and canbus connect it to the MyRv system.
2. Install 2x PVC Fence posts with caps underneath and across the chassis to store the stink slinky and attachments and also to store adjustable awning support poles, ropes and pegs. These pvc posts will be Wrapped in Fake carbon fibre vinyl to make it more attractive with the rest of the black trim.
3: Extra side clearance lights: ( Being an ex Truckie of very large vehicles, i like to keep an eye in the trailers trajectory at nite whilst travelling)
4: Extra indicator turning lights mounted halfway along the camper for other motorists to easily see my changing lanes intentions...( Especially ones that like to duck up and sneak down the inside of you... you know the type the speedy lane changers!!).

So thats it so far that i can think of..... And im proud to say that this is all installed by myself and my "Much Better Half"!!..... Electrical and mechanical work is my hobby i love doing...
Sorry for the long winded post... hope you enjoy.

Scotty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180718_225305.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	180125   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180718_225337.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	180126   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180718_225323.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	180127   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180718_225406.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	180128  
scottcmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
(Dry Huunday)

Nicely done!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Nicely done!
Thanks
Old 07-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #4

Leveling Kit

For the leveling kit, did it utilize your existing lippert jacks and just a retrofit to have it auto level? or was it all new components including the four corner jacks?
nrimshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrimshaw View Post
For the leveling kit, did it utilize your existing lippert jacks and just a retrofit to have it auto level? or was it all new components including the four corner jacks?
Hi nrimshaw,
The kit comes with all new components including the "BIG"
C jacks. And when installing they are not mounted at each corner. They have to be mounted further along the chassis as per detailed installation manual.
The other smaller electric OEM Lippert corner jacks that come standard on some rockwoods cannot be used as the motor/gearbox dont have a hall sensor installed inside them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Scotty
Old 07-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Great mods! Lots of good ideas!

Curious though, do they sell Rockwoods in New Zealand, or did you import it?

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBcamping View Post
Great mods! Lots of good ideas!

Curious though, do they sell Rockwoods in New Zealand, or did you import it?
Thanks for that....... we have a New Zealand agent/dealer that imports them straight from the factory and sells them with all the gas and electrical changes that have to be done to get compliance.

Cheers Scotty
Old 07-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #8

Did you get the 5/8 inch plywood flooring?
milton_w_herron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by milton_w_herron View Post
Did you get the 5/8 inch plywood flooring?
Yes it has the plywood flooring.

Cheers Scotty
Old 07-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #10

Nice mods and install work!
2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
2017 - 1460 miles, 22 nights
2018 - 2712 miles, 29 nights
BillD_CltNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #11

Hou did a great job with the mods.
mlawler506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD_CltNC View Post
Nice mods and install work!
Thanks Bill

Cheers Scotty
Old 07-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlawler506 View Post
Hou did a great job with the mods.
Thanks mlawler

Scotty
Old 07-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #14
New to Forest River

How much weight do the auto levelers add. I am already near the maximum carrying capacity. Could you include the Lippert part number for the jacks you purchased?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roving Ron View Post
How much weight do the auto levelers add. I am already near the maximum carrying capacity. Could you include the Lippert part number for the jacks you purchased?

Thanks
Hi Ron. At a rough guess the system weights about 220lb but you can claw some of that back by removing the old levellers. This is the system i purchased from Lippert https://store.lci1.com/ground-contro...ftermarket-kit this is the system thats suits travel trailers. There is a different system that can be purchased for fifth wheelers.

Hope this helps

Cheers Scotty