Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #1

Smile NADA values Mini Lite vs White Hawk

Hey guys! So I'm fairly new here in that I've been lurking forever soaking in all of your great info (thanks for that btw), but new in that I have never posted anything.

I have been torn between several different models of the Mini Lite (2511S, 2506S, 2507S and 2109S) and a few models by other manufacturers like Jayco's 2018 White Hawk 23MRB for example. Up until last night, I was really digging everything the new White Hawk had to offer vs the 2507S (they are similar floorplans) until two things I learned:
1. with this new model year they lengthened it from 25'11" to 28'2"
2. the NADA values do not appear to be holding up to the Mini Lites

Number 2 is really the reason for this post and why I'm in for a Mini Lite.
Just doing a quick search (no add-ons) for both models one-year-old (2017) this is what I found:

2017 Mini Lite 2507S:
Original MSRP: $29,863 Low Retail: $20,000 High Retail: $24,100

2017 White Hawk 23MRB:
Original MSRP: $29,311 Low Retail: $17,700 High Retail: $21,300

Using low retail as the number I see most often used in real-world resale, the Mini Lite suffered 33% depreciation based on original MSRP, while the White Hawk suffered 39.6% depreciation based on the same. That 6.6% difference equates to roughly a couple thousand dollars which is a decent amount of money when you're talking about a small travel trailer. I'm not altogether clear on how NADA arrives at those numbers but it seems to be an "is what it is" sort of thing. Heck, at least it could afford you to do some things to your TT that you might not have gotten back otherwise when you go to resell.

I actually ran through numbers on several different models of both manufacturers to make sure it wasn't a typo on NADA's part and it's the same across the board. I also ran some numbers on other manufacturers and they all seemed to be at 35-37% based on one-year-old models. So...kudos to you all for making a great decision! With any luck, I'll be in your club soon!

I'm going to be more active with my thoughts on the different TT's I've spent enough time in on the lots to have something positive to add to a discussion and I'll probably write a long post about everything I considered and why I ended up going with the one I did, as well as the dealer I ended up going with (I've talked to quite a few). Thanks again for all of your help along the way. I've really learned a lot from you all!!
vizualeyesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #2

Of course, most people on this forum are going to biased towards Rockwood. Post your question on a Jayco forum (if there is one) and I'm sure you'll get different answers.

When we were shopping for both our Roo and our Mini Lite, we walked through lots of units (as I'm sure you have too). To us, the Jayco's always "felt" cheaper. Just went to the local RV show yesterday and I still felt the Jayco's were a notch below. Not sure exactly what it was, but they just didn't feel as good to us. All of the appliances (water heater, furnace, stove, etc.) are the same, so it comes down to cabinets, walls, upholstery, etc.

One sign to me of a cheap unit is the little 5 inch fan in the bathroom vent rather than a full size fan.

Good luck with your choice.

Even if you go with the Jayco, you're still welcome here.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Of course, most people on this forum are going to biased towards Rockwood. Post your question on a Jayco forum (if there is one) and I'm sure you'll get different answers.

When we were shopping for both our Roo and our Mini Lite, we walked through lots of units (as I'm sure you have too). To us, the Jayco's always "felt" cheaper. Just went to the local RV show yesterday and I still felt the Jayco's were a notch below. Not sure exactly what it was, but they just didn't feel as good to us. All of the appliances (water heater, furnace, stove, etc.) are the same, so it comes down to cabinets, walls, upholstery, etc.

One sign to me of a cheap unit is the little 5 inch fan in the bathroom vent rather than a full size fan.

Good luck with your choice.

Even if you go with the Jayco, you're still welcome here.
Thanks for that! You all seem like such a welcoming group here and that does make a difference. I'm pretty set on a Mini Lite at this point because as you have pointed out, the fit and finish just feel better in Rockwood's. I will say there is a new update to another Forest River line, the Palomino Solaire ( the one I saw was a 205SS ) which really caught my eye. It seems very solid, has the torsion axles like Mini Lites have and the fit and finish is very nice. About the only thing I didn't like, which is the same thing I didn't like on the 2109S is that jackknife sofa. And in the Solaire, there really isn't a way to change it with how it's built into the slide. It's more comfortable than the 2109S, but not enough for me. That being said, they are light and bright inside with bigger windows and a great skylight which the Mini Lites are lacking. I talked to a dealer though about putting a skylight into a Mini Lite and he felt like it wouldn't be a problem. Just wish it was an option from the manufacturer. They make a huge difference in natural light.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #4

Welcome, we are going with another mini lite after owning a 2109s. Really have no complaints on the construction or quality so sticking with the mini lite line. Don't think you'll find anyone with a high opinion of the Jacknife sofa though. Went with a 2511s with theater seats in place of the dinette. A little longer with A manageable weight increase. What really sold us was the huge amount of storage. Looked at the one, same size with the camp kitchen ( forget the model ) Thought too much storage space was sacrificed for the outdoor kitchen, nice unit also but the central bath was another minus for me. I love the mini's, a lot in a smaller package.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetyme View Post
Welcome, we are going with another mini lite after owning a 2109s. Really have no complaints on the construction or quality so sticking with the mini lite line. Don't think you'll find anyone with a high opinion of the Jacknife sofa though. Went with a 2511s with theater seats in place of the dinette. A little longer with A manageable weight increase. What really sold us was the huge amount of storage. Looked at the one, same size with the camp kitchen ( forget the model ) Thought too much storage space was sacrificed for the outdoor kitchen, nice unit also but the central bath was another minus for me. I love the mini's, a lot in a smaller package.
Yep, that 2109S is a great floorplan that packs a punch into such a small area without making it feel squashed up but I love love love the 2511S!!! Amazing floorplan. However, after I did all of my neurotic weight / payload calculations it's just outside of my feel good range which makes me sad because I love the floorplan. And yes, the storage is insane!

The one you're talking about with the mid-bath is the 2506S I believe, which again is a great floorplan and I could probably swing that one and still be right within my comfort level, but the mid bath did make it feel a little smaller, so ultimately it looks like I've narrowed it down to the 2507S which I am not unhappy about. I haven't taken the leap yet though and would love to get some more opinions, so I'm going to write another post about it.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #6

Echoing the positive comments about Rockwood/FR quality - yes, there will always be issues and complainers (some justified) but we've been very happy after a year and 16,000 miles. There have been negative comments about the Murphy bed and jackknife sofa on the forum (many more than Freetyme - and that's ok!) but just wanted to give you another opinion. We like ours, love the extra seating and floorspace you get. One trick we figured out after a while is to pinch the cushions when pulling up on the lower section of the sofa...it's difficult to get your fingers between the sofa and frame to open it up.
Blog for our trailer trips: www.jackandaprilblog.com
jackconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum. Before you know it, you will be a senior member!

Now, as for MSRP and NADA, I'm not sure you can believe either of them. If looking at any new MH, 5er, or bumper pull, MSRP is a very inflated figure. Check on line and you will see some pretty big discounts even before negotiating. As an example, one ad I viewed already had a new unit priced in the median of the hi/lo resale value NADA is quoting. The dealer was concealing details of a better deal yet. Calculating depreciation base on MSRP is not logical.

We purchased a new Class C /year old model from a dealer. Two years later,
were were able to recoupe the full value of what we paid. We kept it looking new and did our homework before selling it by owner. In this instance, we got a good deal up front and the MSRP of new models had increased significantly in the meantime.

We have sold a boat, a MH, and vehicles well over NADA Book. It was condition, condition, condition.
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #8

Factory tour

I have been through both manufacturers. I bought a Flagstaff. . Keep in mind not all of FR products are aluminum cage construction.
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #9

There's two people you have to satisfy with the floor plan, bed, jack-knife sofa, convertible dinning table and TV location. Go to as many Spring RV shows as possible, Remember one thing usually most RVers trade up in 3years to something they like better. If you got to buy a TV plan 2 RVs ahead (5er). Your next RV will have more slides for sure and maybe an out door entertainment center - TV/refrigerator. Only took us 7 + 2 pop-ups to come very close to a keeper.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Welcome to the forum. Before you know it, you will be a senior member!

Now, as for MSRP and NADA, I'm not sure you can believe either of them. If looking at any new MH, 5er, or bumper pull, MSRP is a very inflated figure. Check on line and you will see some pretty big discounts even before negotiating. As an example, one ad I viewed already had a new unit priced in the median of the hi/lo resale value NADA is quoting. The dealer was concealing details of a better deal yet. Calculating depreciation base on MSRP is not logical.

We purchased a new Class C /year old model from a dealer. Two years later,
were were able to recoupe the full value of what we paid. We kept it looking new and did our homework before selling it by owner. In this instance, we got a good deal up front and the MSRP of new models had increased significantly in the meantime.

We have sold a boat, a MH, and vehicles well over NADA Book. It was condition, condition, condition.
That's a great point and for sure what should be considered. I've been negotiating for weeks now and really getting the feel for where dealers breaking points are. I was just simply going by what NADA thought for depreciation on different models based on MSRP and for whatever reason they seem to favor Rockwood. Good for us!
Old 03-10-2018, 07:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. J. Schuler View Post
There's two people you have to satisfy with the floor plan, bed, jack-knife sofa, convertible dinning table and TV location. Go to as many Spring RV shows as possible, Remember one thing usually most RVers trade up in 3years to something they like better. If you got to buy a TV plan 2 RVs ahead (5er). Your next RV will have more slides for sure and maybe an out door entertainment center - TV/refrigerator. Only took us 7 + 2 pop-ups to come very close to a keeper.
You nailed it! In my case, it's just me and my boy (George the dog), but I'll be on and off with lots of family and friends and I'm a people pleaser. I just wrote a (long) post on what I chose today and why. I hope folks don't get bored with me!!

I hate to say that I am the type of person that always wants the next best thing coming out, but I am! I'm guessing I'll have this one for a year or so and then get into something else based on enhancements to layout designs and features and such. Thanks for the tips!!!

Tags
lite