Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2023, 01:08 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 15
Need Advice on Issues at Delivery

I am considering buying an 8263MBR from Best RV Center in Turlock, CA and having it delivered to me in WA. If there are issues with the trailer when I receive it, can I have service done under warranty at my local dealer? Are their certain types of issues that would only be covered by the dealer that I would have to try to get reimbursement from Best RV? I am kind of leery of this dealer since they have low ratings on their website, as well as on Facebook and Yelp. Their stated price including delivery charge is $7000 below my local dealer for the same configuration of options so its very tempting.
RandySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 01:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 3,754
Not going to like the answer.

Any issues you have, likely. You will be on your own.

Local dealers will not welcome you with open arms. During most of the year waiting times to get service is 4-6 months.

Warranty work pays less. Why would a dealer volunteer to help you?

The truck driver delivering your unit will be no help. You have 5 minutes to tell him where to dump it.

Couches rv in Ohio does a lot of this. Cannot comment. We bought from them. The rv was near perfect. No warantee issues for us. They have some sort of system set up.

For that savings thou, you can handle it!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 01:22 PM   #3
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Goodyear, Arizona
Posts: 34,511
Having had dealings with Best RV personally, I would never buy from them unless you were willing to do your own warranty work.
As tomkatb said, you probably won't find any local dealers willing to do warranty work. They can't even keep up with warranty repairs on rigs that they sold.
You can use an independent RV shop or mobile RV technician for warranty work. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
I would contact RV Wholesalers or Couches RV for quotes and delivery charges. They are reputable and RVW has a dealer network for warranty work.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 04:27 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 15
Thanks tomkatb! Sound advice coming from experience I imagine! Appreciate your thoughts.
RandySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 04:40 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 15
Thanks bikendan - we do have a couple independent shops here. The one I like just closed unfortunately. I talked to RV Wholesalers earlier this week and their price was very comparable to Best RV - but the trailer is on order and they won't receive for "2 to 3 months" while Best has one on the lot. Other dealers I've talked with in WA, ID, CO are very close in price to our local dealer. Appreciate your perspective!
RandySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 09:38 PM   #6
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Goodyear, Arizona
Posts: 34,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySmith View Post
Thanks bikendan - we do have a couple independent shops here. The one I like just closed unfortunately. I talked to RV Wholesalers earlier this week and their price was very comparable to Best RV - but the trailer is on order and they won't receive for "2 to 3 months" while Best has one on the lot. Other dealers I've talked with in WA, ID, CO are very close in price to our local dealer. Appreciate your perspective!
We were from Camano Island and bought our last trailer from Open Roads RV. They were very fair to us and fixed all the warranty issues. They had a 8263MBR at their Monroe location.
You might look for the Flagstaff twin model, the 826MBR. Same exact trailer, except for outside graphics and interior decor.
We are looking to replace our current TT, with the 8263MBR/826MBR.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 10:43 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Dustin Acres, CA
Posts: 88
Ditto what bikendan said. Personally know of this dealer. When you drive by their lot, you can see from the freeway their overflowing lot. Probably 2000 rvs in stock. Will likely tell you anything to make the sale. They tend to order minimal options, and then undercut everyone else in the area. We have, however, used printouts of their prices to negotiate with other dealers. By the time you pay for transport at these fuel prices, if you could get your local dealer to meet you halfway on the price difference, you would be close to even. In this market, time is on your side and not the dealers. they need to move every unit they can. I know it can be difficult to be patient, but it will likely pay off if you do. Whatever you decide, good luck!
__________________
Dave and Darren
Max and Riley chihuahua/Jack russell K9 campers
22 Rockwood 8291RK fifth wheel traded
22 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EKS
Our 14th! RV
2019 Denali dually Duramax BW companion, timbrens
darndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 11:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
httntheroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: anywhere we want
Posts: 288
Pasco.apple way rv.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230513-211748_Chrome.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	287142
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 11:30 PM   #9
Member
 
RV Bicyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 78
We traveled from Oregon to Coure d'Alene to purchase our RV. As some have suggested, finding a good independent RV Repair Center can help immensely. In our situation, we worked with Carrier RV Service, Eugene Oregon. They are Forest River Certified, and THEY handled the warranty authorization for my (few but not at all trivial) issues that were fixed under warranty. This link documents some of my prior commentary/issues that were resolved (https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ik-224904.html ). Note that our RV is quite reliable and we are quite happy with it.
RV Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 11:33 PM   #10
Member
 
RV Bicyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 78
Sorry one final note I forgot to mention. We saved thousands purchasing the RV a couple of states away compared to same RV offered by more local dealers. I believe I posted about that separately as well.
RV Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 12:41 AM   #11
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Goodyear, Arizona
Posts: 34,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by httntheroad View Post
Pasco.apple way rv.Attachment 287142
That's about $15k to $20k more expensive than Midwest prices. Typical West Coast price inflation.
You can find better prices on the the Flagstaff version.
Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 06:30 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,426
I saved a bunch buying my motorhome in New York. Finding someone to do warranty work in Missouri was useless. They made promises but never did anything so I just made the repairs myself.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 07:43 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,650
Just two thoughts first when we bought our last 3 trls there was the MSRP price then the sell price. Selling dealer was more than willing to match. Lower price found at other dealer. When I bought my Columbus manager was doing his best to make deal happen as we had bought our last 5th wheel from them it was a lemon and his service department exasperated the problem. During the deal he showed me the dealer price $57k and some change, MSRP depending on dealer ( searched after we bought) was $97k - $102k Sale price was $69k to $75k with some not offering . Thatís an easy 30k swing. Like my grandfather would say you can always drop the price when negotiating but you canít raise it.

Second point the trl mentioned above as a lemon was bought at a local dealer. The dealership was not an ElkRidge/ Heartland dealer at the time but the franchise was. It was delivered to my house from Katy Tx about 9 hr drive. The driver dropped the trailer had me walk trl for outside damage. There was a paper seal on door. Not sure if it was his or dealerships. By time I got done with walk around he was disconnected made sure I signed. He drove off less than 5 minutes
__________________
2022 Chevy 3500 Diesel SWD
2022 Columbus 329 DVC
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 11:38 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
We were from Camano Island and bought our last trailer from Open Roads RV. They were very fair to us and fixed all the warranty issues. They had a 8263MBR at their Monroe location.
You might look for the Flagstaff twin model, the 826MBR. Same exact trailer, except for outside graphics and interior decor.
We are looking to replace our current TT, with the 8263MBR/826MBR.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app

Thank you for the lead! Not sure why Open Road didn't show up when I searched before, but I found the trailer on their site just now. Sent them a message to start discussion. Their list price is almost $3000 less than our local dealer. Have also seen the Flagstaff at similar prices to our local dealer. Thanks again!
RandySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 11:55 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by darndave View Post
Ditto what bikendan said. Personally know of this dealer. When you drive by their lot, you can see from the freeway their overflowing lot. Probably 2000 rvs in stock. Will likely tell you anything to make the sale. They tend to order minimal options, and then undercut everyone else in the area. We have, however, used printouts of their prices to negotiate with other dealers. By the time you pay for transport at these fuel prices, if you could get your local dealer to meet you halfway on the price difference, you would be close to even. In this market, time is on your side and not the dealers. they need to move every unit they can. I know it can be difficult to be patient, but it will likely pay off if you do. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Thanks darndave! Appreciate the insight into that dealer. Our local dealer still has the unit we looked at 6 weeks ago. We have a couple quotes now that we can use to try and negotiate a better price.
RandySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 11:59 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by httntheroad View Post
Pasco.apple way rv.Attachment 287142

Thanks for responding. Appleway is the local dealer I referred to. Their price is pretty high compared to some others. Just got a lead from bikendan to look at Open Road RV in western WA. Their list price is about $3000 less than APpleway.
RandySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 12:04 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Bicyclist View Post
Sorry one final note I forgot to mention. We saved thousands purchasing the RV a couple of states away compared to same RV offered by more local dealers. I believe I posted about that separately as well.

Thanks for your comments. We have been looking in WA, OR, ID, CO, CA, and even OH. The closer ones to us (WA, OR, ID, CO) have all been very similar to our local dealer, or even higher. Just got a lead from bikendan to look at Open Road RV in western WA - their listed price is about $3000 less than our local.
RandySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 12:18 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
Just two thoughts first when we bought our last 3 trls there was the MSRP price then the sell price. Selling dealer was more than willing to match. Lower price found at other dealer. When I bought my Columbus manager was doing his best to make deal happen as we had bought our last 5th wheel from them it was a lemon and his service department exasperated the problem. During the deal he showed me the dealer price $57k and some change, MSRP depending on dealer ( searched after we bought) was $97k - $102k Sale price was $69k to $75k with some not offering . Thatís an easy 30k swing. Like my grandfather would say you can always drop the price when negotiating but you canít raise it.

Second point the trl mentioned above as a lemon was bought at a local dealer. The dealership was not an ElkRidge/ Heartland dealer at the time but the franchise was. It was delivered to my house from Katy Tx about 9 hr drive. The driver dropped the trailer had me walk trl for outside damage. There was a paper seal on door. Not sure if it was his or dealerships. By time I got done with walk around he was disconnected made sure I signed. He drove off less than 5 minutes

Thanks for your input! The MSRP on this trailer is $74k I believe. Nobody is asking anywhere near that. Our local dealer is asking $64.3k and the best we could do 6 weeks ago was get them to drop to $59.3k. We have a quote from OH for $46k + $4.5k delivery charge. Several others in nearby states for $60k-$62k.
RandySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 10:17 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Northern Foothils CA
Posts: 1,483
I would want to pick up the unit myself or have someone I trust to pick up the RV. Most units have some items that need attention and some have many items that need attention. Either get them fixed prior to parting with your money or be prepared to address the issues yourself at your expense.
__________________
2021 2205S Rockwood Minilite
2019 F 150 Lariat 3.5 Eco Fx4 Max Tow
Equal-i-zer WDH, 1809 lb payload
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 11:11 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
JDR76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: WA
Posts: 201
I bought my first trailer from Open Road RV in Arlington. I was disappointed in the sales experience but I will say that their service department served me well.


I bought my current trailer from Apache in Everett and they have been wonderful on all fronts.


Good luck on your purchase!
__________________
2022 Flagstaff MicroLite 25BRDS
2021 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition TRD Off Road
JDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.