Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #1

Need advice on replacing floor

I am a new camper owner, 2006 Rockwood 2701ss. Camper came my way via close friend. Was aware of a leak, wasn't aware how bad the leak was. Noticed a soft spot and decided to cut the vinyl floor up to try and replace what I though was a small area of floor to be replaced.

Once I removed the small area of vinyl I realized I have a major problem. I have wet, rotted, and in some areas molded floors throughout the entire camper. I have spoken to a few service centers and they basically don't want to touch it.

Other than the floor the camper is in excellent condition, I would like to try and make the repairs myself. Can anyone give me some advice.

Thanks!
6volts2lightningbolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #2

Looks like you will have to tear out the entire floor and replace with new wood. A big job but still cheaper than a new one.
Dkjones28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
DDC

Make sure you have the original leak fixed before you tackle the floor, there is a thread on here another member documents doing his floor with good pictures to, but I can't remember the title maybe someone will.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #4

I will tell you the Truth,you need to lift the (Walls,ALL of them off the Floor!Disconnect all water & drains,all Elect. Then replace the (Composite Floor)!! The Rockwood units are built like this,(Frame,pluming & Elect,then the Composite Floor,then the walls & Side walls! Sorry but that is the way it is! Youroo!! BIG JOB!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #5

See a flooring expert, esp for old houses. Sure someone can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #6

Thanks for all the good advice. I am 2 days into my "little" project". I have a second leak at the roof line where it meets the rear aft wall. Going to look for a roof product today to solve that problem.

The good news is I have found good wood in some areas of the camper. Mainly under the kitchen area and the couch, basically where the slide is. I have cut a line in the floor directly in front of the kitchen/couch then removed the back bunks, master, kitchen table, fridge, heater, and base cabinet. I tore up the entire floor and found extensive damage from what appears to be years of water damage.

My plan is to treat the exposed framing and sub-floor with something. Any ideas on what to use? I read in a post but cant find again a member who used some type of chemical to spray to wood and aluminum frame/sub-floor before replacing the actual floor.

I am going to go back with 1/8" ply wood and then new vinyl.

I welcome all comments and tips, let me know what you think about my repair plan?

Thanks so much for the help!

GW
6volts2lightningbolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #7

Not sure but I think you ouluse that spray that the use to waterproof bedliners in trucks. Ihave seen it in automotive depts and stores
Old 07-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #8

Sorry for the spelling..touch keyboard and it gives me a fit :-)
Old 07-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #9

How bout asphalt spray? 1/8" seems little more than a drum head, did you mean 3/8"? Great to hear you found good areas...

VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
How bout asphalt spray? 1/8" seems little more than a drum head, did you mean 3/8"? Great to hear you found good areas...

Even 3/8" is too thing for a subfloor. 7/8" would probably be ok.

For the water proofing I'd use truck bed liner. You can get roll on or spray on.
I would coat it before assembly. I would then use a silicone sealer to seal any joints where it meets the existing subfloor and anywhere you cut through the floor for wiring or pipes. .
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #11
DDC

Some pictures to record this for someone in the future would be good.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote