Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2011, 09:34 AM   #1

Need help with roof repair

I have a 2004 Rockwood 2502 TT.

3 weeks ago I noticed a 1 1/2" bubble that is 8" x 2' wide on the roof above awning. This week there are two more about the same size. One on the other side. The bubble is firm to the touch but at first I could press it down. Now, there feels to be wood? 2x4? plywood? coming up through the bubble. One edge of the bubble has a sharp outline and it looks like something is about to rip though the roof.

I have noticed some brown water lines at two of the windows and underneath the first bubble there are ripples on the inside ceiling. Obviously I am having some kind of water leak.

Does anyone know what could be coming through the roof? With no warranty and looking at $10,000 to replace the roof, I want to tackle this myself, but what's up there? I'm assuming rotting wood? but I understand the roof comes in one piece? I don't want to order a whole new panel and replace entire roof? Any ideas as to best fix? or what I'll see if I rip off the rubber roof where the bulge is?

Thank you for any suggestions.
Tiiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #2

Roof warranty.

Rockwood claims to have a 12 year roof warranty.
jacksum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #3

The 12 year warranty is on the rubber roof material itself. They do not warrant any problems due to lack of proper maintenance of the roof caulking. Which is the responsibility of the owner and is the most likely reason for roof leaks.

Your $10,000 for a new roof sounds high to me. I was thinking a new roof was $3,000 to $4,000, but I haven't replaced one so I don't know for sure.

Sorry I can't help you with what is under your problem area. I doubt you will know for sure until you start removing the roofing material.

Good luck. Hope you get things worked out.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #4

Depending on how extensive you want to get labor & $$$$ wise, you could look into patching this with Eternabond. It won't do anything for whatever the underlying problem is but will pacth any leak in the roof. It comes in rolls and sheats and does what it says it will do. It will stop any leaks it that's where water is coming from. I've used on a rubber roof on a 5th wheel I had and on a MinneWinnie fiberglass roof. Works great.
Scooter Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksum2 View Post
Rockwood claims to have a 12 year roof warranty.
Roof warranty only covers the material from manufacturing (of the rubber) defects; NOT Rips, tears, poor maintenance; lack of sealant around holes cut for vents (etc).

Even solar degradation is not covered since the small print says you should treat the roof material with a UV blocker annually. You DO have the receipts; right?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #6

Thank you all.

Well, we "bit the bullet" and tore up the roof. The "bubble" was rotting plywood bending upward as each layer came apart from the other. Upon further inspection, the entire roof was soaking wet with rotting wood extending around the front and two sides of the trailer for about 2 feet from the exterior inward.

It seems none of the vents, etc. on the roof were involved, the water penetration is from the sides? I've now been reading that the screws which attach the awning and side trim sometimes "wick" water up and onto the roof. The Alpha "Tuff-Roof" we learned has a fuzzy backing. It appears that the water wicking is through this fuzzy membrane.

We carefully pulled back the Alpha TPO roofing membrane (being very carefuly not to damage it) intending to replace the plywood (despite this being very difficult to do since it's laminted to styrofoam) and put the roof back on. When researching ways to recover the seams, using things like "Liquid Roof", it seems that not much adheres to a TPO roof. Even the manufacturer advised us not to put any coating on it.

As a result, we've now pulled off the entire membrane, put on new plywood and purchased a new EDPM rubber roof which we are in the process of installing. I've learned a LOT! and will share with everyone since I'm videotaping the entire process.

Thank you for everyone's comments and support.
Tiiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Tiiu,

You are braver than anyone I have ever met. Good luck!
I will be looking forward to the YouTube links.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
RV Newbie

Waiting on the movie version of this story. I have worked with "rubber" roofs b4, but not like this one. FYI,There is a photo step by step on another forum if you check around.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote