Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 08:07 PM   #1

new 2109s

Ok. the on going saga of this new "lifestyle".. The TT is in my back yard. And like my first girl I got home, I don't know what to do with her. So I look at her and...... never mind back to the TT... So 1st) my wife and I named our "rig" North Carolina Country Dawg. 2) we shopped for some new equipment, (being tent campers we have most "stuff" but who wants old stuff) not my little princess So we are at Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Amazon, walmart, Also this weekend she made reservations at a camp ground 5 miles away from our home.. Trial Run she says. By the way did I mention I am terrible at driving a trailer.. I never learned how to back one up and my driving style is too aggressive my wife says..So I beg if anyone see a (DA) fool trying to back in to a spot this weekend cut me some slack and maybe offer some helpful advice. Like a good lawyers phone number and what beer goes with RVing. Thank y'all for listening to me vent.
NorthCarolinaDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:51 PM   #2

Welcome and congrats on the new TT. I appreciate your humor as well. We just went through the same thing taking out 2109s out 2 weekends ago for the first time. It was a great learning experience and I would highly recommend a short weekend get away not far from home to start. There are a million things you can run out and get, but once you have the basics, the rest can come a little slower. BTW, where are you in NC? We are in Roanoke, VA.

2018 Rockwood mini lite 2109s
TV: 2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab
Roanoke, Virginia
Captn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #3

Hello

Thank you for the good advice.. We are from Greensboro. We're going to stay local for now (within 60 miles). My wife (who I lovingly and sarcastically refer to as The Princess) and I know the Ronoake area. Beautiful. My wife actually grew up in Salem. She Remembers the Star on the mountain, Mill Mountain Zoo and the Roanoke Weenie Stand. She doesn't remember how to cook or clean but remembers everything else. (especially the stuff I mess up). Thanks Again. Enjoy
Old 04-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #4

Nice! We aren't very far apart then. I hope you two enjoy your 2109s as much as we are. Heading to Fairy Stone State Park tomorrow for the weekend. That shouldn't be too far from your area so I'll give you a report on it for your consideration as a quick option not far from home.

My first purchase after staying in the TT the first time was a mattress topper. I hope that helps the otherwise hard mattress. Everything else seems to work great!

Enjoy!

Roanoke, Virginia
Old 05-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #5

Hi! We're from GSO also. We purchased a 2017 2109s in January and just got back from our 4th weekend out with it.

Even though we also have a ton of stuff from tent camping, we have made so many purchases our postal worker says he has to check twice to make sure he didn't miss our daily amazon delivery :/ Like The Captn, we quickly realized we really need to improve the mattress and just got a memory foam mattress topper.

We thought we were towing like professionals until we found some no so minor damage yesterday at the top of back left corner of the trailer and have no idea when or how we did it, yikes!

Our first weekend was dry camping at Hagan Stone in GSO, but since then
we've been Tanglewood RV Park in Clemmons - great for practicing since was close by, inexpensive and all sites are full hook ups. Then we visited Morrow Mountain State Park but there are so many burned/downed trees surrounding campground I don't really recommend it right now, and then just this weekend Stone Mountain State Park, under 2 hours away and one of most beautiful parks we've ever stayed at.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #6

Nice! Looks like quite a few of us in the area! We just returned from our second outing and went to Fairy Stone State Park near Martinsville, VA. I would highly recommend it.

Roanoke, Virginia
Old 05-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #7

Thanks I booked it!
Old 05-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #8

Nice! Great place. Beautiful lake and beach area. Lots of hiking trails. Decent camp sites that are surprisingly flat for set up. Remodeled bathrooms and individual showers if u need a long hot shower at the end of the day.

Roanoke, Virginia
Old 05-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaDawg View Post
Ok. the on going saga of this new "lifestyle".. The TT is in my back yard. And like my first girl I got home, I don't know what to do with her. So I look at her and...... never mind back to the TT... So 1st) my wife and I named our "rig" North Carolina Country Dawg. 2) we shopped for some new equipment, (being tent campers we have most "stuff" but who wants old stuff) not my little princess So we are at Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Amazon, walmart, Also this weekend she made reservations at a camp ground 5 miles away from our home.. Trial Run she says. By the way did I mention I am terrible at driving a trailer.. I never learned how to back one up and my driving style is too aggressive my wife says..So I beg if anyone see a (DA) fool trying to back in to a spot this weekend cut me some slack and maybe offer some helpful advice. Like a good lawyers phone number and what beer goes with RVing. Thank y'all for listening to me vent.
First off, congrats on the new rig.

You could do what a couple did at the campground a couple weeks ago when we took ours to get her opened up...let the wife back it into the site

Apparently she thought she did it better - he didn't argue - tossed her the keys and let her at it. DW and I walked by a little later - actually his DW did a pretty good job - they said she did it first shot too.

As far as beer that goes with RVing - I don't think you will find an argument on this forum that the correct answer is "cold and plenty"
Old 05-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #10

Hey NorthCarooinaDawg, You and your wife sound just like us Our 1909S is being shipped. We have a whole room of new stuff and like you I am awful at towing anything and bad enough we don't have a back seat in our truck. I also refer to my wife as Princess. After 44 years she still remembers the stuff I did 40 years ago but she can't find her keys on a daily basis therefore we will make three extra keys for the new TT. All and all we are so excited, like you. Enjoy your new toy, oh by the way 44 years ago we spent two weeks camping on our honeymoom. Good times.
chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaDawg View Post

I highly recommend two things: 1. Go to YouTube.com and search trailer towing and backing up videos. 2. Go to an empty school parking lot and get a feel for how the trailer feels and how it turns. Oh and BTW... all beer goes with RVing. One last thing, prepare to have a lot of people watching you as you pull into your first campsite. The "new meat" smell will be in the air! Have fun and good luck.
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #12

My husband and I will be embarking on our first trip in our new 2109s next week. We got her on 4/19, and have been doing a bit of glamping off and on since then.

We are now on a first name basis with both our postal carrier and our UPS driver these past few weeks as well. Our bank account is feeling the strain of late, but we are pretty much done with the bulk of it now. We've not gotten a mattress topper just yet. We went on a hotel trip last weekend and slept fine on what felt like concrete, so hoping we can get by without that for awhile. Next week will let us know that.

Anyway, we are in the Virginia Beach area of VA. Sounds like there are quite a few of us in VA/NC.
JustDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #13

Congrats to all the new 2109s owners! It looks like we are all kind of at the same place from an experience point. My most recent lesson learned is this one:
Camping about an hour from home last weekend we returned to the TT about noon after hiking all morning. I unlocked the TT and made the DW something to drink, took it out to her and closed the TT door to keep the air cool inside. Somehow I managed to flip the lock on in the process and locked myself out! My keys to the Truck and the TT were inside on the counter. Spares were at home. After some very frustrating minutes of processing my situation, I had no choice but to call a friend from home, have him go to my house and get the keys and bring them to me. 4 hours later he shows up laughing at us. From now on, the DW will have the spare truck key in her at all times and the 2nd TT key will remain in the truck console. My keys will remain on my person any time I am out of the TT. Could have been so much worse but I learned my lesson!

Roanoke, Virginia
Old 05-02-2017, 03:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn View Post
Congrats to all the new 2109s owners! It looks like we are all kind of at the same place from an experience point. My most recent lesson learned is this one:
Camping about an hour from home last weekend we returned to the TT about noon after hiking all morning. I unlocked the TT and made the DW something to drink, took it out to her and closed the TT door to keep the air cool inside. Somehow I managed to flip the lock on in the process and locked myself out! My keys to the Truck and the TT were inside on the counter. Spares were at home. After some very frustrating minutes of processing my situation, I had no choice but to call a friend from home, have him go to my house and get the keys and bring them to me. 4 hours later he shows up laughing at us. From now on, the DW will have the spare truck key in her at all times and the 2nd TT key will remain in the truck console. My keys will remain on my person any time I am out of the TT. Could have been so much worse but I learned my lesson!

Your experience has me examining the door to see how that could happen. If it can be done, then my husband will do it. But if I can figure it out first, and point it out to him, then we can likely avoid that mistake. So in looking at the door, the only thing I see that might be hit on the way out is the deadbolt. What am I missing?
Old 05-02-2017, 06:30 PM   #15

I am still unsure how I managed to lock the handle. I used the key to unlock it, went in, dropped the keys on the counter, walked back out and closed the door only to be locked out. Regardless, I'm taking NO chances going forward.

Roanoke, Virginia
Old 05-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #16

It's all part of the experience! If you don't care what anyone thinks and can laugh at yourself, thats all that matters. Everyone has been there. And yes, any cold beer will do!
scotty1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1121 View Post
It's all part of the experience! If you don't care what anyone thinks and can laugh at yourself, thats all that matters. Everyone has been there. And yes, any cold beer will do!

Amen to that.

The first time I backed up my trailer was so stressful. So the next time out we picked a spot on the driveway we would aim for when we returned. It was a spot of bird poop that we wanted the tongue to be centered over. Yep, let the fun banter begin.....I'm sure you can come up with a few comments that will get you laughing as much as we were by the time I got it backed in. The stress level was so low, I didn't even mind several neighbors watching the whole time. And I got it into the spot in 3 tries as compared to 8-10 tries the first time.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:37 PM   #18

Thanks but I'm not "tossing" the keys to my wife.. 2 things I think I still have the ability to out drive my wife and my bxxxs! OK.. Well maybe just my ability to out drive my wife. (but don't tell her).
Old 05-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #19

Thank you all for the Great Advice, conversation and information.. But my 1st trip went something like this... 20 minutes backing the TT out of my yard and yard. 1 hour and 10 minutes blocking thru traffic in my neighborhood because while backing up the TT on my slope of my yard I grounded the hitch and then jack knifed the rig. So I had to get unhitch everything pull my stuck truck with my other vehicle. Hook it all back up the go RVing! Yes 2+ hours later I was 5 miles from my house RV camping! But that is all behind us! 1st trip and lessons learned! So like the Great Chinese General Feng Shui said "in times of peace, prepare for war". So its on again in 2 weeks!
Old 05-02-2017, 09:26 PM   #20

BTW. We went to and very much enjoyed Oak Hollow Campground. Very nice (especially "C" area). The "Princess" is now talking to me again (after the trailer incident) and the use of the F-word at everything and renaming our TT from "North Carolina Country Dawg" to "The Little F'ing SOB F'ing trailer!" Anyway like I said before "Lessons Learned".

Tags
210, 2109s