Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2017, 09:22 PM   #1

New 2109S A/C problem, or so it seemed.

Bought a new 2109S last month. My local dealer (2 hours away) didn't have one and wasn't getting one anytime soon, so I went out of state and purchased (4 hours away)
I picked it up on a Thursday and drove straight to our campground of choice and parked it. We came back Friday and camped the weekend. Friday night and all day Saturday the A/C was fine. Bedtime Saturday, I turned the thermostat down (we like to sleep cold) and shortly thereafter the A/C started making "bumping" sounds. Some bumps were so hard it shook the trailer. I turned it off and we made it with the fan only.
I bring it home on Sunday and connect it to my 30 amp service here at home. It started the same bumping and the compressor would kick off. When it tried to restart, it would dim the lights in my house. I got on the roof and watched... when I felt the bump, the compressor jerked violently.
I called the local dealer and being I didn't buy it there, I got put on hold and finally got disconnected. I knew my only hope was to return to my dealer 4 hours away. I made the arrangements and drove the 4 hours early one morning. As my luck would have it, the A/C worked good when there. It was smooth and quiet. They suggested I leave it, but I said no thanks. I bring it back home and connect it to my service and the A/C worked fine.
The next day, I tried it again and it started bumping again. I thought to myself and realized that this was a Coleman problem. I looked on the Coleman website and found a Coleman service center 2 hours away. I made the arrangements and took it there and left it. He called me in three days saying he had it fixed, but it was not a Coleman problem. The tech was sharp and didn't wait for it to mess up, he immediately began testing. He said the current draw was correct, but the voltage at the A/C was low. He turned on the fridge and the voltage dropped more. With the A/C, fridge and hot water heater on, the volts dropped to 103. He went to the shore power plug and found the problem. When Forest River inserted the hot wire in the plug, they didn't strip it far enough and the screw was tightened down on insulation instead of copper wire. He corrected that and all is fine. Volts stayed at 120 with everything on.
Problem is he is not a Forest River center and I had to pay the $288. I just glad the tech was sharp and it didn't take a week to find.
Sahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Ig you had gotten pre-approval from FR, they would have reimbursed you.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #3

It’s a case where six n one hand half a dozen n another!!!! Sometimes you win sometimes you lose! But for all your troubles and what it’s worth at least it’s fixed and didn’t take forever let alone cost you a fortune! Mini happy journeys in your new camper!
stlramper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, 2109s