Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #1

New 2604 winterizing questions

So it's starting to get cold here, just a short snap I think. We want to still camp some more weather permitting so I don't want to winterize yet. Question is this is the first trailer I've had that has heated tanks. If I turn those on will it keep the lines inside the trailer from freezing or just the tanks?

Thanks
Greg
spawnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It will just keep the tanks from freezing. If you have a covered underbelly, turn the furnace on low to keep the inside pipes from freezing. I would also drain the outside shower and take the shower head off.

If we have a cold snap here before I winterize, I do the above. I don't have tank heaters, but the furnace should keep my tanks from freezing, as the ductwork goes around the tanks. Since I don't have tank heaters, I will also string rope lights around my dump valves to keep that area warm.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #3

Please read the instructions that came with the tank heaters. There needs to be water in the tanks or the heaters should not be turned on. Also, the heaters use a lot of current, so need to be plugged into shore power when using them. They will run the battery down rather quickly.
Momma Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Tac View Post
Please read the instructions that came with the tank heaters. There needs to be water in the tanks or the heaters should not be turned on. Also, the heaters use a lot of current, so need to be plugged into shore power when using them. They will run the battery down rather quickly.

Good Points !!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
The Old Man

I just read the documentation for my tank heaters a few days ago. They say very specifically that it will NOT hurt anything if the heaters are on when the tanks are empty other than using power for nothing. The heaters use about the same power as a 100watt bulb, so they do recommend shore power except for short periods.

Based on what I read, I decided to leave my tank heaters on for the winter (I left my shore power plugged in). My potable water tank is empty, but the grey and black tanks have a few gallons of antifreeze. I figure every little bit of heat rising into the cabin during the winter is a good thing.

I also keep an electric heater set on low inside. Never did this with other TTs I've had before, but based on previous experience I'm convinced now that keeping the TT heated even a little bit will prolong its life. My TT is stored at a site in the NC mountains and we get a lot of snow and sometimes even sub-zero temps.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
Arn
Arn

Only immersion heaters require liquid to be present, such as your water heater. These heaters aren't in the tanks, they're on them. Therefore no worries. I'd leave my lower cupboards open as well as the bathroom vanity so some heat will get at your water lines. Wish I could winter camp. No parks open around here & -15°F is a little extreme, even if I had heated tanks.

Arn
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #7

This is where I got my information: UltraHeat, Inc. - Easy to Operate

Same information came with our tank heaters.
Momma Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Tac View Post
This is where I got my information: UltraHeat, Inc. - Easy to Operate

Same information came with our tank heaters.
OK, you got me there. I re-read the FAQs and they don't recommend running the heaters on empty tanks. My black and grey tanks probably have about a gallon each of antifreeze so don't know how much is enough. In the FAQs it does say it's unlikely to damage the tanks if they contain no liquid and I guess that was that part that I remembered. I'd still bet they never get hot enough to damage the tanks, but may cycle on and off more often and that might be what they want to avoid by leaving them on.

UltraHeat, Inc. - FAQs

Old 10-27-2010, 06:50 AM   #9
Site Team

I'm gonna take a wild guess here-- totally off the top of my head--
and say the tank heaters probably don't have a thermostat.
If they are 100 watt, they are either ON or OFF depending on
your switch.
Just a guess.

IMO I don't see the need to have them on if you have antifreeze
in the tanks. You're just wasting electricity (coal).
My 2¢ (why DID they drop the cent key on computers anyway??)
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
The Old Man

Actually, they DO have a thermostat that comes on at 44F and goes off at 67F (or something like that). And yes, the more I think about it the more I realize that I'm probably getting no benefit from leaving them on while winterized. Next time I get a chance I will flip the heaters off but my TT is parked 2-hours away.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #11

Actually lucked out here, didn't get below 32 degs yet!!!
spawnman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2604, rockwood