Old 11-05-2019, 05:35 PM   #1

New 2608BS PDI today

I flew out to VA to check out the 2608BS we are planning to purchase. Armed with a lot of previous mechanical and RV knowledge, checklists, video watching, and hours of reading. :-)
Got to the dealer this morning and met the salesperson. She had gotten the rig pulled up close to the building in a reasonably level spot, and the crew had it plugged in, hooked up, and fired up. She said have at it and let me know if you need anything and then she left me to do my thing...
I have a modified version of the Tom Boles checklist printed out. It's about 11 pages. Started with an outside walkaround. Looked at everything. Roof, underside, walls, seals, windows, doors, decals, glass, screens, the whole bit. Ran the stabs up and down. Ran the tongue jack up and down. looked at the propane and battery stuff. Checked door operations. Looked at tire load capacity and manufacture date.
Then I went inside. It was spotless. checked all the cabinets and drawers. checked all the wall seams and trim. Doors, windows, blinds, furniture. Ran through all the electrical stuff, 12v and 120v. TV, fireplace, sound system (all 3 zones).Checked every outlet and USB port.
Looked at every item in the trailer and made notes on stuff I had questions about. By that time it was time to grab some lunch before I had the dealer do their walkthrough.
After lunch, the salesperson got me a PDI tech to do the walkthrough. Nice touch... I videotaped the walkthrough for later reference...
Tech walked me through all the outside stuff first. Battery disconnect, breakaway switch at the front, propane, info on all the outside fittings and connections. Showed me the drains and valves. Then we went inside and he demo'd all the lights and switches. Ran the slides in and out, explained everything. Ran the awning in and out. Went through AC/heater operation, stove/oven/microwave. Found the converter (under bathroom sink) and water filter (in a weird 3-hinge compartment at the rear). Verified fridge worked on both gas and electric.
Answered all my questions, no rush. I kept checking things off my list. When I was done I had two things... one was the water filter; the filter wasn't in the canister (it was in the fridge); he will put that in for me; the other was the bedroom door jamb on the latch side is bowed a bit and the door sticks pretty bad. I brought it to his attention and he admitted that they had known about it and had been working on it the day before trying to fix it.
Out of all that checking, that was the ONLY thing wrong. I talked to the sales manager and he immediately got some guys to start working on it. Pulled the trim and started trying to get it fixed. I left them to it. I fully expect it to be right in the morning when I go back.
All in all, I am VERY impressed, both with the trailer and the dealer. The fit and finish on this unit are excellent. Everything is put together properly. All the seals look great. No light through the slide seals, either extended or retracted. No noises. Theater seating heat and massage work fine. Roof sealant looks perfect. I could not be happier with the unit.
And the dealer has been great the whole time. No pressure, firm price up front, no PDI charges, propane and a battery included, genuinely nice people to deal with.
Tomorrow morning I go in and recheck the door, and if it's all good, I'll give them the checks I have and sign the papers. Transporter will pick it up and deliver it in a week or so. Unit is in VA and I live in AZ...
I'll give props to the dealer. RV Outlet USA in Ringgold VA, outside of Danville. While I haven't done the final bit with the finance guy, he did verify that "all we had was the remaining balance" and his number matched mine. It was worth the trip out here to work with people like this.
I have heard no end of horror stories and was expecting worse, but these folks were a model of customer service and friendliness.
I am looking forward to finalizing this deal in the morning and seeing the rig at home in a week or so...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191105_141628.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	545.2 KB
ID:	218719  

Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:13 PM   #2

You said battery I hope it is batteries. Sounds like you are going to be a happy camper.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #3

Funny you should mention that, SeaDog... They give ya one battery... I looked it up... it's a HD24-DP. Not ideal, especially since I will be doing plenty of off-grid camping. So I'm going to see if they'll swap it out for me for a pair of something better; I'll be glad to pay the difference...
Still looking at the right options for that though...
Old 11-05-2019, 07:19 PM   #4

Have them stick another of that type on your rig they more then likely have another on the shelf. Its a marine deep cycle 75 AH
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #5
Some guy in back...

Falconer, it's nice to know my PDI checklist is still of use to folks. I'm contemplating the purchase of a motorhome next (it will be our 7th rig in 23 years!) and there will be yet another version to cover all the systems found in a modern Class A.
I welcome any comments on the checklist: additions, clarification, whatever you have seen from your use.
Tom
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #6
code.org

Congrats on the new Rockwood.

We bought ours four years ago and have a lot of miles on it. Still very pleased with our purchase.

My sister bought a new trailer this summer and also bought a Rockwood. I printed out that same PDI check list you used for her and we went over the trailer together and I was pleased to see that Rockwood is still turning out a quality product.

In both my trailer and hers, we found that the water filter was not installed. I had my dealer install mine. Her dealer would not install hers but said they have had problems with them leaking so if she wanted the filter we would have to install it ourselves.

I had heard of leaking issues and replacement cost with these filters on this forum so I had already removed mine and put a connector with clamps in place of the filter. I now just run an outside filter at the faucet which gets inexpensively replaced each year.

Hope your new Rockwood gives you many years of pleasure.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:14 PM   #7

Congrats!! We hope to get this model too. Hoping to order next month. We did a recent tour of the factory and they said they are now putting in dometic 310 toilets instead of 300. Do you happen to know which is in your RV?
Gottaluvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #8

Tom; I sent you a copy of my checklist by email. Let me know if you got it.

Gottaluvlife; ours is the 300, not the 310. We'll see how it goes.

SeaDog; I asked them to swap out the battery for a SRM-24 and they were fine with that, no prob. So I bought a second and they installed both. Only cost me $60 for the second battery with their sale-time parts discount.

Rig is on its way here. Can't wait!!!
Old 11-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #9

We just ordered a new 2506S, where do we find that checklist?
Kper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kper View Post
We just ordered a new 2506S, where do we find that checklist?
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...2ff9dd2749c557
Old 11-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #11

Thank you but, I can't access the link, something about a security token.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #12

At first I couldn’t find the Misc.Folder, but then I saw on bottom of screen option for full-site. Then you will see the Misc. folder option across the top. Click that & scroll to dicuments.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #13

Gottaluvlife, got it! Thank you!

Tags
pdi