Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2015, 12:58 PM   #1

New 8327SS coming - Advise Needed for Tow Vehicle

New to this group so I apologize if this isn't in the right place. We have a new Rockwood 8327SS being built right now and we can't wait until it gets here. We are upgrading from a 25ft Zinger. Our tow vehicle is a 2002 3/4 ton Yukon XL. We love it for its space and the fact that it could tow our house if we needed it to. But, alas, it is starting to fail and I need to start looking for a replacement. I know that the newer ones lost towing capacity and then eventually, they stopped making the 3/4 ton. The extra space it provides is very nice as we have a family of four and my inlaws come along often so it is nice to get everyone in one vehicle for long trips.

So my question is this... What can actually tow this baby well? Should I consider the newer YukonXL/suburbans? Is there another alternative with room that you would suggest? Or do I need to bump up to a truck and leave the inlaws behind? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
henbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #2

Hi henbus! Welcome. My wife and I pulled our new 8327SS down to Austin, TX from the north side of Fort Worth yesterday...I have an F-250 with the 6.7 Powerstroke...the trailer has a Trekker WDH. Other than the crappy weather my F-250 pulled the trailer like a dream. I know there are a couple folks that have Ford Excursions and 3/4 ton vans but I think the majority of folks have pickups with at least a 3/4 ton chassis for TV.
atxpackfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #3

Welcome henbus! They DEFINITELY do not make the hearty SUVs any more! Our 2004 Yukon XL 2500 SLT with 3rd row bench, 2wd, 8.1L, 4.10 geared, 8600 GVW and stickered payload is 2440# and the maximum trailer weight is 12,000# and GCWR is 19,000#. Stoutest full-size SUV GM ever offered! I searched high and low for one too after my 98 7.4L/4L80E/14-bolt FF/4.10-geared C2500 suffered an early demise thanks to a drunk driver...

Am I recalling the 8327SS correctly at around 7550# dry with a 1K hitch weight an a smallish CCC around 1550#? If so, if you can find one of the rare one like ours, the big Suburban/Yukon XL gasser will get it done. However, you'd likely have more success and comfort with an HD pickup in diesel flavor. Besides, who needs to tote the in-laws???

Given the size camper already, I personally would gloss right over the 3/4-tons and head into 1-ton territory just because of future camper upgrade options and because used 3/4 and 1-tons in these parts run real close dollar-wise.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #4

Thank you to you both. Awesome information. I sort of knew the answer that unless you get a 10 year-ish old YukonXL, the guts to pull it just weren't going to be there. We are going to try to get the Yukon through another year at least. Thanks again. Can't wait until it gets here... that and for it to stop being -12 when we wake up in the morning!
henbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #5

By the way, I am looking at a CAT scale measurement that was done on my 8327SS and it has trailer weight of 9100 lbs. The trailer had empty water and waste tanks but had gear and food on board as well as full propane. The tongue weight is close to 1300 lbs on the CAT scale report! I think this was done with the previous owner's 1/2 ton RAM and a Trekker hitch with the 1000 lbs spring bars on it. I am going to take my setup to the CAT scale on our way to College Station in a couple weeks. It will be an 2011 F-250 KR 6.7 PS, empty water/grey/black full propane and a couple hundred pounds of my wife's 'stuff' in the trailer. I'll report back after I can get it weighed. I am also going to upgrade the EAZ-Lift Trekker by switching to the 1200 lbs bars.
atxpackfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #6

You might consider a Nissan Armada. Big, lots of tow capacity with tow package, 3 row seats, etc. my daughter just found a nice 2009. She had to replace the 2006 Armada due to a drunk driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
You might consider a Nissan Armada. Big, lots of tow capacity with tow package, 3 row seats, etc. my daughter just found a nice 2009. She had to replace the 2006 Armada due to a drunk driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

I towed with an 2012 Armada for two years, and I wouldn't recommend it for something that big. I towed a 4000# TT and consistently had tranny temp issues. That third row "seating" is n name only. It is uncomfortable back there for even average sized adults. Just my opinion, but even though they are built on a Titan platform, the Armada's just aren't intended to be used for towing. After have a couple other issues with suspension and tranny, I decided to make the switch to a Tundra before my warranty ran out.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 03-04-2015, 10:29 PM   #8

Good luck with your decision. We currently have a excursion and honestly it's good except again 12 years old but it does not get many miles since it's only job is to tow the camper

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
tow vehicle