Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2021, 06:32 PM   #1

New Geo Pro 20BHS leaking on the storage glass door.

I can't believe I'm having so much issues with this trailer.. Is it me or the QC of this is bad? They just do a half-axx job.

The storage door windows got water leaking inside after a rain storm. I think the way it got in is because they didn't put sealant on the windows frame or the inside windows. Isn't this common sense to put nice selant on it so it doesn't drain the water in?

Attached you will see where the water is coming from. and you will see there is no sealant in the windows frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210313_183944015.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	249619   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210313_183950652.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	249620   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210313_183955891.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	249621   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210313_184019159.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	249622   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210313_184026164.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	249623  

Name:	3-13-2021 3-29-16 PM.png
Views:	93
Size:	834.2 KB
ID:	249624  
Old 03-13-2021, 08:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Unfortunately your list of issues is relatively small, in comparison to most new buyers of "Covid Campers". QC was poor over the years but since Covid RV sales have skyrocketed, it's gotten worse.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Unfortunately your list of issues is relatively small, in comparison to most new buyers of "Covid Campers". QC was poor over the years but since Covid RV sales have skyrocketed, it's gotten worse.
Yeah. but come on. I'm spending over $26K+ on this new trailer. I should get something at least work for the first 3 years. then water if water leak I can start my repair you know what i mean? This is just poor QC. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the water leak is from not having sealant on the window frame correct?

thank you
Old 03-13-2021, 09:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
Yeah. but come on. I'm spending over $26K+ on this new trailer. I should get something at least work for the first 3 years. then water if water leak I can start my repair you know what i mean? This is just poor QC. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the water leak is from not having sealant on the window frame correct?

thank you
I'm not saying it's alright.
But after being on various RV forums for almost 20 years, it's been a major issue for a long time and I was prepared for it when I bought my first new RV. I was educated by reading through those forums before I put the money down and made sure every issue was documented and was corrected during the factory warranty period.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 03-13-2021, 09:18 PM   #5
RiderBloke

Bikendan is, unfortunately, correct. Most of us have problems with our new RVs, no matter the buying price. In your case it looks like the screws on the inside should be easily removed and the frame and window removeable. I would get some good sealant - not glue - and apply it all around the edges of all the parts and to each screw and then put it all together again. You could also apply some sealant to the outside edges where the frame meets the door and the window meets the frame.
I don’t like silicone - see other discussions about that.
There is a German product I managed to get here called Dekaseal by Dekalin. (You can see videos on Youtube.) It needs to be under pressure from screws to seal. It does not dry out and is easily made look neat.
For caulking sealant I like Lexel which you buy at Lowes.
If you want you can take it to the dealer and have it fixed under warranty but ask them how long it will take and how they will waterproof the door while they have it parked in their grounds. Good luck.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderBloke View Post
Bikendan is, unfortunately, correct. Most of us have problems with our new RVs, no matter the buying price. In your case it looks like the screws on the inside should be easily removed and the frame and window removeable. I would get some good sealant - not glue - and apply it all around the edges of all the parts and to each screw and then put it all together again. You could also apply some sealant to the outside edges where the frame meets the door and the window meets the frame.
I don’t like silicone - see other discussions about that.
There is a German product I managed to get here called Dekaseal by Dekalin. (You can see videos on Youtube.) It needs to be under pressure from screws to seal. It does not dry out and is easily made look neat.
For caulking sealant I like Lexel which you buy at Lowes.
If you want you can take it to the dealer and have it fixed under warranty but ask them how long it will take and how they will waterproof the door while they have it parked in their grounds. Good luck.
taking in to a dealer is a joke. They told me to drop it off on April 14 and leave it there for someone to fix it. They says usually 2 weeks to 3 weeks. I mean I can fix it myself not a big deal. But spending this kind of money . I would expect at least a working trailer. Anyway you learn new stuff everyday. I mean I can live with it fixing it myself. Not a major issues. If it was something major. yeah i'll bring it in. But for this. like you says. I'll put some lexel around all the edges..

Do I also use the lexel sealant on inside the windows?
Old 03-14-2021, 02:24 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
taking in to a dealer is a joke. They told me to drop it off on April 14 and leave it there for someone to fix it. They says usually 2 weeks to 3 weeks. I mean I can fix it myself not a big deal. But spending this kind of money . I would expect at least a working trailer. Anyway you learn new stuff everyday. I mean I can live with it fixing it myself. Not a major issues. If it was something major. yeah i'll bring it in. But for this. like you says. I'll put some lexel around all the edges..

Do I also use the lexel sealant on inside the windows?
As has been said to you, numerous times before, you can use an independent RV shop or mobile RV technician. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed. So you don't have to go to a dealer.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:30 AM   #8

It would be kind of interesting to know who has had the most defects on a new trailer. I bet there would be some amazing stories. If you include defective electrical connections, missing screws, broken parts I expect many people would have an extensive list.

I'm still coming across new manufacturing defects every few days as I work on renovating my 6 week old TT. Yesterday I identified a large hole in the lap sealant around a roof vent. Luckily there has been no rain here so I'm counting myself as lucky.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:19 AM   #9
RiderBloke

Putting lexel on the inside of the windows:
If you mean around the parts that are inside the door when it is shut - not necessary.
If you mean on the glass side of the exterior surround - yes if the water can get in there.
Just a thought: Is it possible that a rubber gasket was omitted from the outside when it was assembled? (I assume that the surround is plastic.)
Good luck.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
As has been said to you, numerous times before, you can use an independent RV shop or mobile RV technician. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed. So you don't have to go to a dealer.
Thank you!! I didn't know I can do that. Let me call forest river and see what they can do for me.. thank you again!! this make it more convenient for me..
Old 03-14-2021, 11:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderBloke View Post
Putting lexel on the inside of the windows:
If you mean around the parts that are inside the door when it is shut - not necessary.
If you mean on the glass side of the exterior surround - yes if the water can get in there.
Just a thought: Is it possible that a rubber gasket was omitted from the outside when it was assembled? (I assume that the surround is plastic.)
Good luck.
Maybe it doesn't need sealand, maybe you are right. the water got in from one of the loose screw? please see attached if that is the case. I just notice one of the screw fell off and the other half stuck into the fiberglass. So I cannot screw it in because the hole is blocked with the other half screw in place.

Know how I can take out that screw that is broken in half and got stuck in there? should I just drill another hole somewhere and patch that up with some lexel sealant?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20210312_190946553.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	249667   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210312_191026757.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	249668   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210312_191016584.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	249669  
Old 03-14-2021, 10:12 PM   #12

Ok, just did some testing and I cannot seem to find where the water leak is coming from.

Here is what I did. I got a gallon of water and a cup.

1. I first pour 2-3 cup into the windows itself and let it seat there for 1-2min of dripping. I open up the door and touched inside and no sign of water anywhere.
2. I then pour 2-3 cup around the outside of windows and still no water inside.
3. I pour 2-3 around the whole edge of the door and no water inside anywhere.

Maybe the windows on top was not close tight causing the leakage?

anyone seen this before.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:33 AM   #13

Can you remove the plastic trim and cauld inside to seal it???????????
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
Can you remove the plastic trim and cauld inside to seal it???????????
which plastic trim? are you talking about the one inside the glass plastic trim? I don't think those are removable..
Old 03-15-2021, 12:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomBuild View Post
It would be kind of interesting to know who has had the most defects on a new trailer. I bet there would be some amazing stories. If you include defective electrical connections, missing screws, broken parts I expect many people would have an extensive list.

I'm still coming across new manufacturing defects every few days as I work on renovating my 6 week old TT. Yesterday I identified a large hole in the lap sealant around a roof vent. Luckily there has been no rain here so I'm counting myself as lucky.
Surprisingly I can't contribute to that list. I took my MicroLite home in July of 2017 and to date I haven't had a problem that could even remotely construed to manufacturing flaws or a warranty issue. Other than the usual gallon of sawdust distributed throughout the compartments

I've added more than a few upgrades but other than that, everything worked just fine and no broken items (yet).

Maybe I just got a "unicorn".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:22 PM   #16

I took delivery of the same model trailer last September and I also experienced some leaking around this door. My daughter complained of water dripping into the lower bunk during a wind blown rain storm. I believe in my case the leak is occurring at the door seal rather than the window.

I have an appointment with the dealer to repair this issue under warranty next week. I will let you know what they find.

As far as overall build quality, I had heard the horror stories and was bracing for the worst but overall have been pleasantly surprised. The only other issue I've noticed is a slight misalignment of the slide mechanism. The dealer will also be fixing this next week.
NullPtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Surprisingly I can't contribute to that list. I took my MicroLite home in July of 2017 and to date I haven't had a problem that could even remotely construed to manufacturing flaws or a warranty issue. Other than the usual gallon of sawdust distributed throughout the compartments

I've added more than a few upgrades but other than that, everything worked just fine and no broken items (yet).

Maybe I just got a "unicorn".
Hahaah, you are soo lucky!! Your batch must have been good..
Old 03-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #18

So strange.. It rain last night and today morning. I wanted to check if the inside of that door windows is leaking. Turned out all dry. So strange. How is it possible when I was camping the night and it rain there was some water leak inside of there next to the windows.

I'm 100% sure the door was closed. Just so strange today after some rain no leak inside. Like I says, I even poor 1-2 gallon of water into the windows frame and outside of the frame everywhere of that windows door. So now I don't know where that leak could of been coming from.

Is it possible those the water i see inside are MIST?

Can someone explain this

thank you
Old 03-16-2021, 10:37 PM   #19

That is probably the Lippert window, unless you see screws on the inside of the plastic window trim, just try to squeeze together the outter and inner plastic trim. There are something like 12+ places it snaps together, the more you squeeze the tighter it gets. If it was cold when it was assembled the sealant was probably hard and did not compress all the way, so now if it sits in the sun it can be tightened more.

I upgraded some windows on my last trailer and really no way to mess it up unless you do not squeeze them together hard enough. Then recheck it the next day or so.

This video seems to cover it
awd.nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd.nv View Post
That is probably the Lippert window, unless you see screws on the inside of the plastic window trim, just try to squeeze together the outter and inner plastic trim. There are something like 12+ places it snaps together, the more you squeeze the tighter it gets. If it was cold when it was assembled the sealant was probably hard and did not compress all the way, so now if it sits in the sun it can be tightened more.

I upgraded some windows on my last trailer and really no way to mess it up unless you do not squeeze them together hard enough. Then recheck it the next day or so.

This video seems to cover it
Maybe you are right.. let me push all around and tighten it up a bit. Maybe one of it got loose. But so far no water or leak inside that windows area anywhere. So I cannot confirm where are how that water come from.

thank you for the suggestion..

Tags
door, geo pro, leak, storage