Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 20
New Mini Lite 2109S owners

After a 10 year break we are camping again. We had a great time shopping for our next trailer having owned a pop-up, 26 ft Jayco TT, and 35 ft Montana 5th wheel. Kids are grown and our current tow vehicle (VW Touareg) dictated something under 7500 lbs. I don't like towing at gross rating so I set a self imposed gross trailer weight of 5000 lbs.

We decided the 2109S would serve us well. We have one successful trip so far...a month from now we head out across the USA for a 4 week adventure spending most of our time on the west coast. We've visited the Rockies from the desert into Canada numerous times but my wife has never been to the California, Oregon, Washington coast.

Really happy with our dealer - who seemingly corrected everything before we took delivery (it's not our first rodeo - we've never had a unit delivered defect free).

Guess the only thing I'm contemplating is replacing the brand new tires with either Carlisle or Maxxis....

Peace,
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3300.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	502.6 KB
ID:	135679  
__________________

Champ203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
Left Coast
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: vancouver,washington
Posts: 15,649
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Oregon coast the best...
__________________

bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:41 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 842
Good looking camper! What have you found that you like/don't like so far? Please tell us about any mods that you plan to do. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:07 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,740
Nice rig I just love my outside hooked to the rig BBQ.
__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
StlClay
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 110
We are happy

Been running 2109 for 4 years. No real problem. Wish light panel was higher (I understand newer models have this and glass shower). Great for two people.
__________________

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:08 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 266
Congratulations on your new camper! Enjoy it!
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #7
Member
 
PupScrappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 71
Sending out a big welcome. We have the flagstaff version of your trailer and just love it so much. Happy trailering and safe journeys.
PupScrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ203 View Post
After a 10 year break we are camping again. We had a great time shopping for our next trailer having owned a pop-up, 26 ft Jayco TT, and 35 ft Montana 5th wheel. Kids are grown and our current tow vehicle (VW Touareg) dictated something under 7500 lbs. I don't like towing at gross rating so I set a self imposed gross trailer weight of 5000 lbs.

We decided the 2109S would serve us well. We have one successful trip so far...a month from now we head out across the USA for a 4 week adventure spending most of our time on the west coast. We've visited the Rockies from the desert into Canada numerous times but my wife has never been to the California, Oregon, Washington coast.

Really happy with our dealer - who seemingly corrected everything before we took delivery (it's not our first rodeo - we've never had a unit delivered defect free).

Guess the only thing I'm contemplating is replacing the brand new tires with either Carlisle or Maxxis....

Peace,
Don
Congratulations on you new trailer.....We have the same model in the Flagstaff brand and have traveled about 11,000 miles on the original tires. I know everybody has their own opinion about the China tires but I believe if you keep them properly inflated generally you will be fine. But then again you need you own peace of mind. Safe Travels.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 108
2017 2109S owner here too starting in Oct last year. Been out 3 times, around 4000 miles total I guess. We love it and are planning another trip now for Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

Put in about $2000 worth of stuff to make it a home now. The generator and Rand McNally GPS were the big purchases. Added a second battery (I consider that a must! Doesn't take long to run one down overnight). Next, will be two 100 watt Renogy Solar Panels in May before the next trip.

Since the trailer is a dual axle, I'm running my tires as is until they show wear, then I'll replace them. If one blows, unlike a single axle, I won't kill my trailer at 65 mph.

I also plan to shore up the fresh water tank support system. It really IS not good at all. That frightens me.

Happy travels!
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:15 PM   #10
Left Coast
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: vancouver,washington
Posts: 15,649
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Won't kill it, but the wound could be bad
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 77
Congrats. We have had our 2109s since September and just love it. Had it out 8 times just 1000 miles total and 40 nights. No real big issues to report with the camper.
Headed to Yosemite this weekend for 7 nights.
__________________
2017 Rockwood Minilite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD gasser
Markval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:03 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarland48 View Post
2017 2109S owner here too starting in Oct last year. Been out 3 times, around 4000 miles total I guess. We love it and are planning another trip now for Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

Put in about $2000 worth of stuff to make it a home now. The generator and Rand McNally GPS were the big purchases. Added a second battery (I consider that a must! Doesn't take long to run one down overnight). Next, will be two 100 watt Renogy Solar Panels in May before the next trip.

Since the trailer is a dual axle, I'm running my tires as is until they show wear, then I'll replace them. If one blows, unlike a single axle, I won't kill my trailer at 65 mph.

I also plan to shore up the fresh water tank support system. It really IS not good at all. That frightens me.

Happy travels!


As for the fresh water tank. We have traveled with a full tank on all of our trips with no issues.
We mostly dry camp at the beach. Have got under it after traveling and so sign of deformation or dropping.
__________________
2017 Rockwood Minilite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD gasser
Markval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 20
What kind of tires came with your 2109s and why don't you like them?
minilite2507s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #14
Member
 
BruceM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 73
We have a 2015 2109s.
The stock tires have worked fine - no flats and never a problem.
What causes you to think new tires have to be replaced?
Just wondering because there is a lot of opinion on tires, a never ending subject of debate.
But you know what they say about opinions!
In my view some of the animosity seems to be directed against any tire that has a foreign origin, as if somehow foreign tires get to slide under the radar of our rating standards.
__________________
2015 Rockwood MiniLite 2109S
2018 Ford F150, 3.5L ecoboost
Blue Ox SwayPro hitch
BruceM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:59 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 20
I am out of town but will report back on the exact brand. We take long trips, sometimes at 70 mph+ for 8-10 hours a day. I've towed campers, boats and car trailers well in excess of 300,000 miles and there is no substitute for great quality tires with a large dealer network to support you if you have a problem. We will tow our trailer 8000 miles over a 4 to 5 week period beginning next month. Flat tires aren't a concern unless the tire comes apart and takes out the fender liner, water lines, electrical connections....all things that I've had happen on a previous unit.

My plan is to go up in load rating and accompanying speed range, balance them for a smooth and vibration free ride. If any of you would like the tires I takeoff just let me know - it's up to you to pay shipping or pick them up.

Peace,
Don
Champ203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:57 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
bealigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 2
Sofa mod for 2109s ideas

Hi all,

I'm new here and just got back from my first trip in my new 2109s. I've never owned a TT before, but I have been around a few.

I really like the 2109s and am glad to see so many others who do as well.

I was wondering about replacing or modifying the sofa in the future--maybe a few years down the road.
I feel like the seat depth is just a little too shallow for my comfort. I like to curl up and snuggle into the sofa, but instead I feel like I'm about to fall off. Haha!
I wish it was a few inches deeper.

I thought about removing it and replacing it with two small, cozy chairs. However, I discovered that the slideout mechanism is under the sofa, which would pose a problem for chairs.

Has anyone made any modifications to the sofa or replaced it? How about just adding 4 or 5 inches to the seat? I guess that would require rebuilding the sofa, but I might consider that.
bealigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:23 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markval View Post
As for the fresh water tank. We have traveled with a full tank on all of our trips with no issues.
We mostly dry camp at the beach. Have got under it after traveling and so sign of deformation or dropping.
Great to hear that. It gives me nightmares. My friend and I checked it out beneath my camper and the wires to the heating pads were incredibly taught! One shift and they would have snapped. We cut some of the ties leading back to the wiring panels to give it some slack. But have plans to really fix it down the road. Three small metal supports are just not enough, and we already see some bowing. Keep your eyes on it please.
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:25 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bealigo View Post
Hi all,

I'm new here and just got back from my first trip in my new 2109s. I've never owned a TT before, but I have been around a few.

I really like the 2109s and am glad to see so many others who do as well.

I was wondering about replacing or modifying the sofa in the future--maybe a few years down the road.
I feel like the seat depth is just a little too shallow for my comfort. I like to curl up and snuggle into the sofa, but instead I feel like I'm about to fall off. Haha!
I wish it was a few inches deeper.

I thought about removing it and replacing it with two small, cozy chairs. However, I discovered that the slideout mechanism is under the sofa, which would pose a problem for chairs.

Has anyone made any modifications to the sofa or replaced it? How about just adding 4 or 5 inches to the seat? I guess that would require rebuilding the sofa, but I might consider that.
Let me know what you find out. I thought of the same thing, a recliner/wall hugger would be great. But planning on letting the sofa DIE first! *LOL*
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: MN / TX
Posts: 25
We pick ours up in 3 days, a 2017 model. Down sized from a 32 foot fifth wheel to have better access to smaller sites in State Parks and forests.
pawatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
nc-canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Won't kill it, but the wound could be bad


X2. We also have 2 axles but tire exploded and caused $1500 in damage - tore the skirting off and pulled a bunch of wires. Jarring on the inside damaged microwave and several other things.

Based on my experience I will always replace the tires with a reputable name brand.
__________________

__________________
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W
2013 F350 Lariat Longbed 6.2L
nc-canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
210, 2109s, lite

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.


×