Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #1

New Mini Lite 2109S owners

After a 10 year break we are camping again. We had a great time shopping for our next trailer having owned a pop-up, 26 ft Jayco TT, and 35 ft Montana 5th wheel. Kids are grown and our current tow vehicle (VW Touareg) dictated something under 7500 lbs. I don't like towing at gross rating so I set a self imposed gross trailer weight of 5000 lbs.

We decided the 2109S would serve us well. We have one successful trip so far...a month from now we head out across the USA for a 4 week adventure spending most of our time on the west coast. We've visited the Rockies from the desert into Canada numerous times but my wife has never been to the California, Oregon, Washington coast.

Really happy with our dealer - who seemingly corrected everything before we took delivery (it's not our first rodeo - we've never had a unit delivered defect free).

Guess the only thing I'm contemplating is replacing the brand new tires with either Carlisle or Maxxis....

Peace,
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3300.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	502.6 KB
ID:	135679  
Champ203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Oregon coast the best...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:41 PM   #3

Good looking camper! What have you found that you like/don't like so far? Please tell us about any mods that you plan to do. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:07 PM   #4

Nice rig I just love my outside hooked to the rig BBQ.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
StlClay

We are happy

Been running 2109 for 4 years. No real problem. Wish light panel was higher (I understand newer models have this and glass shower). Great for two people.

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:08 PM   #6

Congratulations on your new camper! Enjoy it!
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #7

Sending out a big welcome. We have the flagstaff version of your trailer and just love it so much. Happy trailering and safe journeys.
PupScrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ203 View Post
After a 10 year break we are camping again. We had a great time shopping for our next trailer having owned a pop-up, 26 ft Jayco TT, and 35 ft Montana 5th wheel. Kids are grown and our current tow vehicle (VW Touareg) dictated something under 7500 lbs. I don't like towing at gross rating so I set a self imposed gross trailer weight of 5000 lbs.

We decided the 2109S would serve us well. We have one successful trip so far...a month from now we head out across the USA for a 4 week adventure spending most of our time on the west coast. We've visited the Rockies from the desert into Canada numerous times but my wife has never been to the California, Oregon, Washington coast.

Really happy with our dealer - who seemingly corrected everything before we took delivery (it's not our first rodeo - we've never had a unit delivered defect free).

Guess the only thing I'm contemplating is replacing the brand new tires with either Carlisle or Maxxis....

Peace,
Don
Congratulations on you new trailer.....We have the same model in the Flagstaff brand and have traveled about 11,000 miles on the original tires. I know everybody has their own opinion about the China tires but I believe if you keep them properly inflated generally you will be fine. But then again you need you own peace of mind. Safe Travels.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:13 PM   #9

2017 2109S owner here too starting in Oct last year. Been out 3 times, around 4000 miles total I guess. We love it and are planning another trip now for Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

Put in about $2000 worth of stuff to make it a home now. The generator and Rand McNally GPS were the big purchases. Added a second battery (I consider that a must! Doesn't take long to run one down overnight). Next, will be two 100 watt Renogy Solar Panels in May before the next trip.

Since the trailer is a dual axle, I'm running my tires as is until they show wear, then I'll replace them. If one blows, unlike a single axle, I won't kill my trailer at 65 mph.

I also plan to shore up the fresh water tank support system. It really IS not good at all. That frightens me.

Happy travels!
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:15 PM   #10
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Won't kill it, but the wound could be bad
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #11

Congrats. We have had our 2109s since September and just love it. Had it out 8 times just 1000 miles total and 40 nights. No real big issues to report with the camper.
Headed to Yosemite this weekend for 7 nights.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarland48 View Post
2017 2109S owner here too starting in Oct last year. Been out 3 times, around 4000 miles total I guess. We love it and are planning another trip now for Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

Put in about $2000 worth of stuff to make it a home now. The generator and Rand McNally GPS were the big purchases. Added a second battery (I consider that a must! Doesn't take long to run one down overnight). Next, will be two 100 watt Renogy Solar Panels in May before the next trip.

Since the trailer is a dual axle, I'm running my tires as is until they show wear, then I'll replace them. If one blows, unlike a single axle, I won't kill my trailer at 65 mph.

I also plan to shore up the fresh water tank support system. It really IS not good at all. That frightens me.

Happy travels!

As for the fresh water tank. We have traveled with a full tank on all of our trips with no issues.
We mostly dry camp at the beach. Have got under it after traveling and so sign of deformation or dropping.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #13

What kind of tires came with your 2109s and why don't you like them?
minilite2507s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #14

We have a 2015 2109s.
The stock tires have worked fine - no flats and never a problem.
What causes you to think new tires have to be replaced?
Just wondering because there is a lot of opinion on tires, a never ending subject of debate.
But you know what they say about opinions!
In my view some of the animosity seems to be directed against any tire that has a foreign origin, as if somehow foreign tires get to slide under the radar of our rating standards.
BruceM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:59 PM   #15

I am out of town but will report back on the exact brand. We take long trips, sometimes at 70 mph+ for 8-10 hours a day. I've towed campers, boats and car trailers well in excess of 300,000 miles and there is no substitute for great quality tires with a large dealer network to support you if you have a problem. We will tow our trailer 8000 miles over a 4 to 5 week period beginning next month. Flat tires aren't a concern unless the tire comes apart and takes out the fender liner, water lines, electrical connections....all things that I've had happen on a previous unit.

My plan is to go up in load rating and accompanying speed range, balance them for a smooth and vibration free ride. If any of you would like the tires I takeoff just let me know - it's up to you to pay shipping or pick them up.

Peace,
Don
Champ203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:57 PM   #16

Sofa mod for 2109s ideas

Hi all,

I'm new here and just got back from my first trip in my new 2109s. I've never owned a TT before, but I have been around a few.

I really like the 2109s and am glad to see so many others who do as well.

I was wondering about replacing or modifying the sofa in the future--maybe a few years down the road.
I feel like the seat depth is just a little too shallow for my comfort. I like to curl up and snuggle into the sofa, but instead I feel like I'm about to fall off. Haha!
I wish it was a few inches deeper.

I thought about removing it and replacing it with two small, cozy chairs. However, I discovered that the slideout mechanism is under the sofa, which would pose a problem for chairs.

Has anyone made any modifications to the sofa or replaced it? How about just adding 4 or 5 inches to the seat? I guess that would require rebuilding the sofa, but I might consider that.
bealigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markval View Post
As for the fresh water tank. We have traveled with a full tank on all of our trips with no issues.
We mostly dry camp at the beach. Have got under it after traveling and so sign of deformation or dropping.
Great to hear that. It gives me nightmares. My friend and I checked it out beneath my camper and the wires to the heating pads were incredibly taught! One shift and they would have snapped. We cut some of the ties leading back to the wiring panels to give it some slack. But have plans to really fix it down the road. Three small metal supports are just not enough, and we already see some bowing. Keep your eyes on it please.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bealigo View Post
Hi all,

I'm new here and just got back from my first trip in my new 2109s. I've never owned a TT before, but I have been around a few.

I really like the 2109s and am glad to see so many others who do as well.

I was wondering about replacing or modifying the sofa in the future--maybe a few years down the road.
I feel like the seat depth is just a little too shallow for my comfort. I like to curl up and snuggle into the sofa, but instead I feel like I'm about to fall off. Haha!
I wish it was a few inches deeper.

I thought about removing it and replacing it with two small, cozy chairs. However, I discovered that the slideout mechanism is under the sofa, which would pose a problem for chairs.

Has anyone made any modifications to the sofa or replaced it? How about just adding 4 or 5 inches to the seat? I guess that would require rebuilding the sofa, but I might consider that.
Let me know what you find out. I thought of the same thing, a recliner/wall hugger would be great. But planning on letting the sofa DIE first! *LOL*
Old 05-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #19

We pick ours up in 3 days, a 2017 model. Down sized from a 32 foot fifth wheel to have better access to smaller sites in State Parks and forests.
pawatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Won't kill it, but the wound could be bad

X2. We also have 2 axles but tire exploded and caused $1500 in damage - tore the skirting off and pulled a bunch of wires. Jarring on the inside damaged microwave and several other things.

Based on my experience I will always replace the tires with a reputable name brand.

Tags
210, 2109s, lite