Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #1

Thumbs down New Rockwood Signature 8286WS

I just purchased a 2016 Rockwood Signature 8286WS fifth wheel trailer. I've been camping since I was a kid and always owned popup's or TT's. I know the hitching mechanism is different, but is there anything in regards to towing or setting up that is totally different than a TT? Anything special I need to look out for? It seems like trailering would be about the same as I have been used to, but I just don't know. Any tips would be appreciated.
fayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Thumbs up New Rockwood Signature 8286WS

Not sure why you gave the thread a thumbs down, but I'm giving it a thumbs up.

Provided that you have a proper tow vehicle with a good brake controller, I think you'll find towing it about the same or even a little better than a well setup bumper pull.

If you have a short bed truck you'll need to be aware of the turning radius and you'll most likely benefit from having a slider hitch.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'll give your post a thumbs up too!

Hitching (and making sure you are hitched) onto a fifth wheel a little different than a TT but it isn't difficult.
Just be sure your latching mechanism is securely latched before you pull away. (do a pull test before you raise the front jacks)

I've seen many threads and photos where someone 'thought' they were hitched but the jaws weren't locked and it done considerable bed/trailer damage as it came sliding off the hitch plate.

There are mechanisms available to 'catch' an unhitched 5er, but good hitching techniques will keep you from having to buy one.

Backing and turning a 5th wheel is a little different than a TT cause the pivot point is in the bed instead of the bumper but you will catch on easily.

You will love the way a 5th wheel tows!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If you have a short bed truck you'll need to be aware of the turning radius and you'll most likely benefit from having a slider hitch.
That Rockwood should have a Reese Revolution hitch. When activated there should not be any need for a slider hitch.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #5
Site Team

Sorry I missed that. With the revolution you're right.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
That Rockwood should have a Reese Revolution hitch. When activated there should not be any need for a slider hitch.
X2

TURBS
2008 duramax
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "31 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:36 AM   #7

I have an 2014 8282ws and I assume you will have a Revolution hitch (turn under the fiver rather than bed of truck). Can't tell you about diff with TT but it tows great. Agree with 5picker about testing the hitch before you lift your jacks. Another point is check your tires. My originals were C class 6 ply and cracked within a year. Changed them for E Class and 10 ply. Feel much safer. You will love your Signature.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #8

I think the others have covered most of the critical points. However, one other issue is to ensure the 5th wheel hitch plate is at the correct height. You want your trailer to tow level. I've seen many rigs on the highway with the front high. This results in an uneven weight distribution on the axels and tires. This affects tire wear, handling and safety.
8288WS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:44 PM   #9

Two other things...Be sure your tailgate on your truck is down when hitching and unhitching. It will ruin your day otherwise.
Also ensure that your electrical connections are unhooked when pulling away unhitched.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #10

One accessory you might want to consider, if you haven't already, is a flow-through tailgate to replace the truck's solid tailgate. Although I've heard arguments both ways, in my opinion the flow-through improves mileage by allowing air to move through the tailgate rather than trapping it inside the box.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:26 PM   #11

Hi all, last year we went from a 5th wheel to a brand new Wildcat Maxx TT. Yes, it was a mistake and now we're looking at trading it back in and getting a 5th wheel again and I'm really liking the Rockwood Signature Lite models and their features and build. They're getting pretty close to top pick, and we don't want to do this again so we want to get it right this time!
I have a question about the Reese Revolution hitch, do you need a Revolution specific hitch in the truck? One salesman implied that 'any hitch would work' but I'm skeptical, so after reading the post thought I'd ask.
That feature though is tipping the scale by not having to get a slider hitch for our Silverado 3/4 ton diesel with the standard bed.
Also, no area dealers have had this model with the bunks so haven't seen one in person yet, we've checked out the various floor plans online and she likes it a lot. I'm not so sure over another floor plan but she's thinking when we "might" have the grandkids with us then we'd have the bunks. Any thoughts from any owners?
Thanks!
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #12

Tdbun, I use the Reese R16, but the Reese website says it can be used with the Reese 15&16K, the Curt 16K and Reese Titan. From the looks of it, the Reese Titan is just the new name for the Reese R16. Maybe others would work as well, but you would have to dig into their literature.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8288WS View Post
One accessory you might want to consider, if you haven't already, is a flow-through tailgate to replace the truck's solid tailgate. Although I've heard arguments both ways, in my opinion the flow-through improves mileage by allowing air to move through the tailgate rather than trapping it inside the box.
I love my Stromberg 5th wheel tailgate. I don't think the aerodynamics are much different but I don't have to raise and lower the tailgate when hitching/unhitching. Its also about 50 pounds lighter than the stock tailgate.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:40 PM   #14

Tdbun - Your desire to switch back to a 5'r is probably a good one. There is no question they pull, handle and manoeuver better than a bumper pull. The downside is you loose your truck box for storage. As far as the Rockwood goes, we have been more than happy with our 2013 Signature Ultra Lite. In fact last winter we toured the southwestern states with it for 4 1/2 months. Less issues with this unit than our previous Cardinal and Big Country 5'rs and a lot lighter. The one thing you might want to consider however, is to upgrade your tires. The factory ones are crap. Get a load range E that will take up to 80 psi. It's worth every penny to do this. As far as the Reese Revolution hitch goes, on several occasions it served to extricate us out of tight situations. We don't have a 'slider' hitch but I would still recommend you get one (but not critical) The revolution will work with any hitch providing it has the correct 'wedge' to match your 5th wheel hitch. In my case they put the wrong one in and it caused some unnecessary wear before I realised what was wrong. The Revolution is a little trickier to 'lock on' than a standard pin. You have to be directly in line with your plate as you back on. Also, after a short period of use you may get some squeaking from where the Revolution pivots. Seems like that's the nature of the beast. I use a dry silicone lube that seems to help. Overall I wouldn't part with mine. Hope this helps.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:59 PM   #15

I have an 8280ws pulled by double cab silverado standard bed with pullrite 20k , started with 16k but it would not lock up do to pin groove/latch jaw being at different height,
20 k works great , have not found it necessary to use revolution feature as measuring, and use shows no obstruction
tonyb1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #16
Scotsman

When we bought our 2015 8285IKWS last year I bought new Maxxis D load tires and had them put on before we even left the dealer. Did not have any faith in the tires that FR had selected. We were also told by FR that the wheels that came with the trailer, as nice as they are could only handle 60 psi. So if your suggesting E load at 80 psi you would have to change the wheels. Make sure you know what psi your wheels can handle. Hope you find what your looking for.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:32 PM   #17

Agreed...the wheels must be rated for the higher pressure. When I upgraded to the E rated tires (following a blow-out) it was determined by a code on the wheel they could handle the new tires. That was several thousand miles ago. So far so good.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:52 AM   #18

I asked my local tire dealer if my wheels could handle the E rated tire when I upgraded. They said no problem. I trust my dealer. That was also thousands of miles ago. I run them at 80 psi and use steel valve stems.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Tdbun, I use the Reese R16, but the Reese website says it can be used with the Reese 15&16K, the Curt 16K and Reese Titan. From the looks of it, the Reese Titan is just the new name for the Reese R16. Maybe others would work as well, but you would have to dig into their literature.
Agree with you. I have a Titan R16 and the Revolution/Sidewinder (same but diff name if OEM on trailer) works beautifully with this hitch. I have a 6.5' box. No problems with turning (90 degrees) and buying a slider would be a waste of money.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Just be sure the revolution hitch is unlocked by the dealer, or do it yourself, many dealers don't do it without prompting
leefl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood