Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2020, 04:01 PM   #1

New Rockwood Signature 8298KS

Well we did it. Bought a new Rockwood Signature 8298KS today.
Not sure how it will work out. Was told it is a 10 week wait. We shall see I guess. I have no reason to doubt them. First time 5th wheel owners and first time Forest River buyers. We have had several trailers in the past but never a 5er. Going from a Grand Design trailer to Forest River 5th wheel. I figure they are all the same for builds. All made from the same workers out of Indiana.
Forest River from what all I have been told is a hit or miss on product quality.
Some folks like them and some don't. Guess what? Same goes for almost all manufactures in the RV industries .
We think the 8298KS layout is perfect for us and the weight and size is something we can pull with no issues. The only pain to it all is getting the hitch and air springs installed.
Now my one question for 5th wheel owners. Does buying a tripod make a difference ?
We are looking forward to putting this camper to good use.
Thanks
Jim T
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:50 PM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin. Congrats and enjoy your new Rockwood Signature 8298KS! Hope your wait time goes quickly. I suggest you check out JT Strongarms. We had them fore and aft on our 5th wheel and they worked great.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #3

Congratulations and Welcome from New Jersey, What is your tow vehicle?
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
Canadian Member

Welcome from just east of Toronto and congrats on your new Rockwood Signature 8298KS.

I haven’t heard a lot of positive comments on 5th wheel tripods and I don’t see a lot of folks using them in my area. If you have the Lippert Ground Control 3.0 system I recommend you try it out with a couple X-Chocks first and if you want it more solid look at either the JT Strongarms or the SteadyFast system.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Congrats on the new purchase! I love the floorplan. We might have chosen that one if it had an outside kitchen.

We've had 3 fifth wheels and are getting our 4th. Tripods are useless, but some folks seems to think they help. I'm just guessing that cause I still see them on some rigs.

We had JT Strongarms on our Columbus and they made a world of difference in stability. We'll probably end up getting them for our new Signature.

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:20 PM   #6
Befuddled wanderer

We used a tripod on our previous two fifth wheels and I feel that they worked well if used properly, but there were times when the slope of the lot made it difficult to set it up to work well. We purchased a new Rockwood Ultra Light fifth wheel last year and had the JT Strong Arms put on front and back. I believe they make the rig very stable and will always work as long as we can get all of the stabilizers to touch the ground. An added bonus is that we don't have to stow them away in the truck or trailer when travelling as they stay mounted in position. One caveat to the JT Strong Arms is that there is a recommended procedure for setting them properly and I recommend making sure you understand that procedure.

2020 Rockwood Ultra Light 2891 BH
1996 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 8.0L V10

"Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice"
cc102bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBcamping View Post
Congrats on the new purchase! I love the floorplan. We might have chosen that one if it had an outside kitchen.

We've had 3 fifth wheels and are getting our 4th. Tripods are useless, but some folks seems to think they help. I'm just guessing that cause I still see them on some rigs.

We had JT Strongarms on our Columbus and they made a world of difference in stability. We'll probably end up getting them for our new Signature.
WannaBcamping
Thanks for the input. I have heard good and bad for it and will go with out it and see how it goes. We used nothing but what we had on each of our travel trailers. I don't think a 5th wheel can get that bad. LOL I thought about the Strongarms for our last trailer. We just spent 4 months work camping in the Tetons and did with out . The DW doesn't want to stay out and rock and roll like that anymore. Will see. For now we go as we always have. With out any help.

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood