Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2021, 07:00 PM   #1

New Rockwood Stairs & Fridge Question

We are looking to get a new mini lite, but we have an issue with the stairs in our RV lot. We usually turn our fridge on a couple of hours before we load with groceries and head out. The new stairs would hit the rv next to us if we even attempted to bring them down. Is there a workaround for this?

Also, we are used to a propane/electric fridge and wondered if a 12v was better since we like to drive with it on. Does it cool down faster?

Thanks in advance
tmlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:33 AM   #2

Those steps come off quite easily by pulling a couple of pins, but that would be easier to do before you park it tightly. Although if you don't have room to bring down the steps you'll barely have room to open the door either.
Kid Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:40 AM   #3

Thank you! Do you need equipment to remove the stairs, or simply pull on pins?
Old 04-27-2021, 09:53 AM   #4

I just went out and had a look, and you can simply pull the pins out of the hinges with the stairs in the up position. But when the door is open 90 degrees, the door actually sticks out farther than the stairs by an inch or two.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:58 AM   #5

Thank you so much for checking.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
I just went out and had a look, and you can simply pull the pins out of the hinges with the stairs in the up position. But when the door is open 90 degrees, the door actually sticks out farther than the stairs by an inch or two.

Did you check with the stairs at 90 degrees out from the trailer when bringing them down? That is where the stairs will need the most space to avoid hitting the RV next to it, is at 90 degrees straight out.
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Did you check with the stairs at 90 degrees out from the trailer when bringing them down? That is where the stairs will need the most space to avoid hitting the RV next to it, is at 90 degrees straight out.
No, but in my defence I had not yet had my morning coffee

I just checked again and at 90 degrees out, the stairs do indeed protrude past the open door by a good 4-6 inches.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:26 PM   #8

...Also, we are used to a propane/electric fridge and wondered if a 12v was better since we like to drive with it on. Does it cool down faster?

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

We just received our new Mini-Lite, but we got the propane/electric fridge. We always drive with it on. Since we boondock most often I'd rather have the fridge using propane...probably run for years on two 30 gal tanks!! Curious what folks think of the 12v only.
"No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing..."
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:35 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnweeze View Post
...Also, we are used to a propane/electric fridge and wondered if a 12v was better since we like to drive with it on. Does it cool down faster?

Thanks in advance
We just received our new Mini-Lite, but we got the propane/electric fridge. We always drive with it on. Since we boondock most often I'd rather have the fridge using propane...probably run for years on two 30 gal tanks!! Curious what folks think of the 12v only.[/QUOTE]There are literally hundreds of 12v fridge threads/posts here, as they have been somewhat of a hot topic. A quick search will get you hours of reading.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:55 PM   #10

I have an Ultra Lite with a DC fridge. It definitely cools down faster than any propane fridge I'ver had or seen. I wish I had a combination unit. My solar keeps my two 6v AGM batteries charged sufficiently with just a modicum of optimal sunlight, but I've camped in forests before where there definitely wouldn't be enough sun to keep my batteries charged for a extended period (4-5+days).
mrmerced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:30 PM   #11

12 volt

I also have the drop down stairs, much prefer to the old pull out style. I much prefer the propane/ electric to 12 volt frig. They are just better units, I always drive w/ our on. Much better if you ever considered Boon docking at all.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:52 PM   #12

Am I missing something here?

I try to camp further away than 2 feet from the next campsite. Am I missing something here? The State Park sites are more than 100 feet apart from the next site and when boondocking, we are hundreds of yards apart. Maybe the whole country is not the same?
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Grandpa View Post
I try to camp further away than 2 feet from the next campsite. Am I missing something here? The State Park sites are more than 100 feet apart from the next site and when boondocking, we are hundreds of yards apart. Maybe the whole country is not the same?
I was talking about our RV storage lot. ;-)
Old 04-27-2021, 06:14 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Grandpa View Post
From the thread's first post:

"We are looking to get a new mini lite, but we have an issue with the stairs in our RV lot."
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:57 PM   #15

Standard electric/ propane hands down is the best!
Buster Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlogo View Post
We are looking to get a new mini lite, but we have an issue with the stairs in our RV lot. We usually turn our fridge on a couple of hours before we load with groceries and head out. The new stairs would hit the rv next to us if we even attempted to bring them down. Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks in advance

If you decide removing the steps is more than you care to deal with, an option is to get a set of Torklift Uprising steps. They mount similar to the steps that come on your trailer but can be deployed as long as you can open the door. One deploy method has them working like a ladder only extending 1 foot out from the trailer. If you are flexible enough, you could climb over them while they are in the stored position because they collapse while storing.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, rockwood