Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #1

New taller 3/4 ton pickups

We have a Rockwood FW 2014 model 8282ws and now pull it with a 2005 3/4 ton diesel 4 wheel drive Chevrolet. We need a new tow vehicle and would like to replace it with 2017 Chevrolet crewcab, 4 wheel drive, diesel, short box. These sit too high to pull the 5th wheel level. The Rockwood 5th wheels have to be pulled level because of the rubber torsion axels, if it doesn't pull level more of the weight would be on the rear axel.

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?
nancy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #2

You should be able to adjust your pin Box on your 5er to bring it up or down.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikersarge View Post
You should be able to adjust your pin Box on your 5er to bring it up or down.

If you can't do that then you are looking for something like this. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...YaAkuLEALw_wcB

2016 nights camped = 17
2017 nights camped = 4
Chpusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #4

Some Rockwood fifth wheels will not take the Dexter lift kit because the axles are already on a 3" flange. You can call Dexter with the part number from the sticker on the axle and they'll tell you if you can use the lift kit.

The other option is to lower the truck. We put drop shackles on our 2016 GMC Sierra (same as a Silverado). This has its own complications, but it works.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
LMR

I had the same problem when purchasing a new F350. Truck was to high. Lowering hitch did not solve problem. Also at 6" clearence to top rail of bed. My model 8280WS had tall brackets on Dexter axles and were not able to use riser brackets. Dexter indicated installing a subframe. My axles were built with a 22.5 degree down arm. I had them ship me 45 degree down axles and it raised up the fifth wheel to almost level.
LMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #6
Site Team

Chevy's and GMC's can be lowered by 2" in the front and 3" in the rear without affecting the ride or rating. I just had my Sierra lowered for the same reason. To get the 5er more level.

You may wind up with a combination of things to get the RV level. Lowering the truck, raising the pinbox and/or raising the RV. Our RV is already high enough, so I really didn't want to raise it any more.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy02 View Post
We have a Rockwood FW 2014 model 8282ws and now pull it with a 2005 3/4 ton diesel 4 wheel drive Chevrolet. We need a new tow vehicle and would like to replace it with 2017 Chevrolet crewcab, 4 wheel drive, diesel, short box. These sit too high to pull the 5th wheel level. The Rockwood 5th wheels have to be pulled level because of the rubber torsion axels, if it doesn't pull level more of the weight would be on the rear axel.

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?
I have a similar problem, but luckily I have leaf spring suspension. I've lowered my hitch and raised the kingpin as much as I could, but am still running about 2 - 3 inches nose high. The axle weights are still within the limits by 400#, but the rear axle is 800# heavier than the front axle.
I did not want to raise the trailer any more since I am already at 12.5 feet with my 5er.
I'm looking at the truck suspension to see if there is anything that can be done there to drop it to closer to level without voiding the warranty.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:40 AM   #8

I have the same issue with my 2016 Ram 2500. The truck already starts out pretty high in the air, but the trailer (Coachman Chap. 360IBL) was causing enough squat in my truck’s rear to cause my headlights to be irritating to oncoming traffic.

I installed some airbags to level out the truck, and it worked great.

But!

Now my trailer shnozz is riding high. Yes, I’ve adjusted my pin box and hitch as much as practicable. I’m left wondering what to do to get this whole setup riding level.
jorn_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #9
Site Team

Unfortunately with a newer Ram there's no kit available to lower them. I looked at them before I bought the truck I have and was disappointed that no one made a lowering kit.

About your only recourse is to raise the RV to match the truck. Or you could remove the bed and install a flatbed and use a lowered fifth wheel hitch. I even thought about doing that.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:55 PM   #10

My next move is to hoist the camper. I guess
jorn_k is offline   Reply With Quote