Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2015, 06:43 PM   #1

New to 5th wheels

We are looking for a fifth wheel to travel 5-6 months a year. So far the signature ultra light has the nicest floor plans for our price range. My question is are these units reliable?

I don't want to be in another state and have to rent a hotel for a year extended periods while our unit might be down for repairs.

Any help will be appreciated.
capt.randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #2

just like most brands, some people have no issues at all, some have multiple problems. Just pray you get one of the better ones.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:23 PM   #3

Hello Capt. I'm been very pleased with my Rockwood. I've put over 13,000 miles on her with no major problems. The only major expense has been replacing the tires that came with the rig. One had a slow leak and I lost confidence in the tires so I replaced them with Goodyear Marathons. No worries since (fingers crossed). I also upgraded my batteries but that was by choice and not manufacturer related. There will always be something or other happening with the rig. It's unreasonable to expect otherwise when you go bump, bump, bump down the road. We just hope it is minor things. But, I would recommend a Rockwood because it is serving me very well.
Louisiana before, fulltiming since April 11, 2014
blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:10 AM   #4

Thanks for the input Rockwood really does have the nicest floor plans from all that we looked at. I have just heard some horror stories a out service taking forever for parts etc. But they have been few. Again thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #5

We bought a 1014 signature ultra light. Needed to replace all 5 tires (spare too) with load range E. Originals were problems. Right at the weight limit and poor quality. Counter top broke first winter while in storage, after much discussion Forest River agreed to replace it. Front of camper at the top warped very badly the first July. Dealer said it was so bad they thought we had hit something! They looked at others on their lot and they were warping too. FR replaced it but the new one is warping again! They have a problem in this area. Will have to fight about front piece again when we get home. Water pump died (not FR issue). Leaking shut off valve by water heater. I had to replace while on trip. staples in the woodwork show and look terrible. Couch was missing some stitching at a seam and they replaced the cover. Revolution hitch not adjusted correctly from factory. I contacted Reese and got a new part and was able to fix it myself. Mostly satisfied with unit. Travels very nicely. Pulls easily with my Chevy 3500 Duramax.
bplantcjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #6
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Hi Capt. I've put 30k miles on my Flagstaff 8528 (sister product/priced about the same?). It has learn me to be a better camper and maintenance provider (replace bearing annually). I have had to take it in for service and no problems getting in and out (Cheyenne Camping Center, Iowa). The floor is getting spongy so I floated a hardwood floor (just the main path). It weighs slightly less than your Rockwood (7,200 dry). I pull mine with a 1/2 ton Tundra 5.7, what do you have? I wouldn't take mine to the Rockies but I've been from Chicago to Arizona three times via Texas. Happy Trails..
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #7

With all RV's weather its a 5er class c, b, a, tt's you will not know until you use it. Dosent matter on brand either. One thing with a 5er or tt is you don't have to worry about power train so only real major problems that would make it un-useable would be a slide not coming in or frame issues like I had with my 5er. My frame came apart on my 1st trip and had to be rebuilt but this is not a normal problem to worry about.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.randy View Post
We are looking for a fifth wheel to travel 5-6 months a year. So far the signature ultra light has the nicest floor plans for our price range. My question is are these units reliable?

I don't want to be in another state and have to rent a hotel for a year extended periods while our unit might be down for repairs.

We have owned several different RV's and the best is the New 2006 Jayco Designer we ordered. We traveled with it several times to Florida, Michigan, Wisconsin, form our home base of Fort Wayne, Indiana. We never had one problem with it. The best RV we ever owned. I think the JAYCO Eagle Flight is compatible to your 5er your looking at.

Best of luck and safe travels

Phil Falls
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 Turbo Cummins.
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800 D3
phil falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.randy View Post

Hi Capt Randy (And welcome to the forums from Huntsville AL!)

We have owned our Rockwood for a little over 2 years now and love it! We still work, so we are not in the "Mostly time" mode of 5-6 months a year ya'll are in, but we do camp as much as we possibly can. There are several folks I know on the forums that have similar 5ers and DO camp that much in their ultralights (one member snowbirds FL from NOV-MAR each year).

The Rockwood is one of Forest River's original Campers and is a well built unit.

Questions? Ask away! We are here to help!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:57 PM   #10

Sorry, I should have recommended a Forest River Product. I have heard that the Rockwood is a nice Fifth Wheel..
I do own a Forest River product. FR owns Dynamax and our Trilogy is a beautiful unit. We love,
phil falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:24 PM   #11

No problem I appreciate all the feedback before we take the big plunge
Old 03-30-2015, 06:38 PM   #12

My wife and I own a Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite. Our is a 2013 fifth wheel. We have made three trips to Florida so far. We have found it to be reliable. We take really good care of ours. We live South Bend Indiana next to Elkhart where most all rvs are made. We visited the factory where they are made. The workers were almost all Amish. Great experience.
Bears1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel