Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2021, 10:11 PM   #1

Newbie first towing

Yesterday I towed my Geo Pro 19BH home. Never towed anything before.

The tow vehicle is 2011 MDX with factory tow package.

The trailer comes with two batteries, two full propane tanks and 1/3 tank fresh water. It also has Fastway e2 weight distribution hitch.

The MDX handled the towing nicely. I cannot feel the trailer behind me but the mpg was really unimpressive -- only 10.8m/g! it's mostly flat.

After arriving home and added some bedding items, I used a tongue weight scale weighted the tongue. It's 520 lbs. This little trailer is tongue heavy! Clearly with the weight distribution hitch, the tongue weight is even higher.

My plan is to travel light and with minimal water, also load stuff behind the axle. Guess I should be fine.
Double Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:25 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

My trailer experience is minimal compared to others, but I do know......I never want negative tongue weight. Never. Not sure how much tongued weight you should have, but I wouldn’t want to be too light.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:28 PM   #3
Site Team

You probably should have posted this in your original thread that you started.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...d.php?t=223598
You still haven't answered questions in that thread, like does the integrated brake controller have the manual function.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:21 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

I haven't weighed my tongue yet, but it's good to hear actual number. So that means our trailers with bike rack and two bikes, plus other stuff you travel with, plus 80 lbs of WDH is probably close to 700 lbs.

Mileage is about right. Mine drops to 11-12 mpg towing.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
My trailer experience is minimal compared to others, but I do know......I never want negative tongue weight. Never. Not sure how much tongued weight you should have, but I wouldn’t want to be too light.
13 % to 15% of TT weight are often quoted as being the appropriate tongue weight.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Jay View Post
Yesterday I towed my Geo Pro 19BH home. Never towed anything before.

The tow vehicle is 2011 MDX with factory tow package.

The trailer comes with two batteries, two full propane tanks and 1/3 tank fresh water. It also has Fastway e2 weight distribution hitch.

The MDX handled the towing nicely. I cannot feel the trailer behind me but the mpg was really unimpressive -- only 10.8m/g! it's mostly flat.

After arriving home and added some bedding items, I used a tongue weight scale weighted the tongue. It's 520 lbs. This little trailer is tongue heavy! Clearly with the weight distribution hitch, the tongue weight is even higher.

My plan is to travel light and with minimal water, also load stuff behind the axle. Guess I should be fine.
How has the Acura ended up for you towing the 19BH? Figure you have had some time to work out the setup. Just picked up a 19BH last week and have a '16 Pilot AWD Touring as our tow vehicle and might learn something from your experience.
awd.nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:15 AM   #7

Newbie first towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd.nv View Post
How has the Acura ended up for you towing the 19BH? Figure you have had some time to work out the setup. Just picked up a 19BH last week and have a '16 Pilot AWD Touring as our tow vehicle and might learn something from your experience.

I towed with an ‘11 pilot for 2 years and my recommendations are to make sure the rear tires are at max sidewall pressure when towing and get a WDH with sway control. I used a prodigy 2 controller with quick connect harness that I attached to the lower dash with super Velcro so I could disconnect when not in use.

Oh- an we are in Vegas too

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd.nv View Post
I installed the factory tow package (hitch + wiring) and also bought a Curt wireless brake controller. So far works pretty well. By the way, I got new tires also.
Double Jay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, towing